BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198177 - 09/19/17 01:08 PM Hybrid Ball?
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 55/m/Ca
We bowled last night on some very dry conditions. A new teammate said I needed to buy a hybrid ball. He said they help or work better in the wet/dry conditions.

What are the advantages of the hybrid ball and which one does the forum recommend?

HS 805 (250, 300, 255) (non-sanctioned)
746 (267, 257, 222) (sanctioned)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#198178 - 09/19/17 05:44 PM Re: Hybrid Ball? [Re: BowlerBill]
djp1080 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 70/m/IL
I have both Storm and Hammer hybrid bowling balls.
Hybrid balls are coverstocks with a combination of solid and pearl reactive material to get some of the benefits of both. They off the mid lane reaction of a solid ball and the back end reaction of a pearl ball. The ball will clear the front end of the lane pretty cleanly.

Hybrid balls are available with shiny or matte finish. My Hy-Road is shiny, but my Reign On is 4000 grit both with the Storm R2S Hybrid coverstock. I keep them that way. I have a Hammer Dark Legend which used a compound finish somewhat shiny I guess, but it travelled down the lane a bit too far for me. I took the finish down to about 3000 grit without using any polish or compound on it.

When all else fails, I'll get out my Hy-Road and get back on track it seems.

Regarding wet-dry conditions I suppose there are numerous things to try. One being to find a better place on the lane to play like moving left with your feet if you're a righty. Another would be to move either to a hybrid ball like your friend was suggesting or even to a solid covered ball both of which will pick up a bit earlier on the lane to defeat the condition a bit.

Hope this helps...

#198181 - 09/19/17 07:12 PM Re: Hybrid Ball? [Re: djp1080]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: djp1080
I have both Storm and Hammer hybrid bowling balls.
Hybrid balls are coverstocks with a combination of solid and pearl reactive material to get some of the benefits of both. They off the mid lane reaction of a solid ball and the back end reaction of a pearl ball. The ball will clear the front end of the lane pretty cleanly.

Hybrid balls are available with shiny or matte finish. My Hy-Road is shiny, but my Reign On is 4000 grit both with the Storm R2S Hybrid coverstock. I keep them that way. I have a Hammer Dark Legend which used a compound finish somewhat shiny I guess, but it travelled down the lane a bit too far for me. I took the finish down to about 3000 grit without using any polish or compound on it.

When all else fails, I'll get out my Hy-Road and get back on track it seems.

Regarding wet-dry conditions I suppose there are numerous things to try. One being to find a better place on the lane to play like moving left with your feet if you're a righty. Another would be to move either to a hybrid ball like your friend was suggesting or even to a solid covered ball both of which will pick up a bit earlier on the lane to defeat the condition a bit.

Hope this helps...

djp1080

It's funny. In week 1, we had much more oil on the lanes. So much so, I only moved one board the entire night. In G3, the conditions got over/under as several of us threw washouts late on shots we all thought would hook to the pocket.

I used a pin down storm Virtual Gravity my brother gave me. That ball worked all night and seemed to work well.

Week 2. Bowling on lanes 1 and 2, I started with the same Virtual gravity and could tell the lanes were hooking much more than the previous week. In practice, I moved 3 board left. By the middle of g1, I was another3 board left (now standing at 21 and targeting 15 to 7/8 down lane) (I also drift left 2 boards so the laydown was around 23.

I continued to move left and changed balls in G2 to a pin up mission x. I can generally keep moving left with this ball and target the 10 board down lane. This night, it started reading the lane way too soon so I switched to a Storm Code Red.

By the end of G3, I was standing at 32 and trying to target the 10/11 downlane. Most shots over hooked and some continued to skid out at times. I couldn't really find that right spot to play.

The code red will get through the heads pretty well but it hooks too much. I ran into problems where a small miss right and it would skid out. Miss a little left and it over hooks drastically.

Seeing this is what prompted my teammate to recommend a new ball. A problem is, I expected oil and brought the wrong equipment.

I have a Roto Grip Shatter that's worked well on dry conditions in the past. I plan to bring that next week and maybe my old purple Rhino Pro. It works good on dry conditions too.

The Pro Shop has been recommending that I buy a Honey Badger for several weeks now. He knew I was going to join this scratch league. Based on what he's seen me throw he might have been trying to get the right ball in my hands.

I appreciate the explanation on the Hybrids. Thanks Bill

Edited by BowlerBill (09/19/17 07:14 PM)

#198183 - 09/20/17 09:37 AM Re: Hybrid Ball? [Re: BowlerBill]
djp1080 Offline
High Roller

Just thinking, your Code Red ball is a hybrid. smile
I have the Code Black and agree with you it can be a bit too strong. I had to take it down from being a polished surface to get it to pick up earlier on the lane. It would go too long and then snap practically behind the head pin.
Based upon what I'm reading from you is that you likely don't need as strong of equipment as you might think.
One ball that recently came out was Roto Grip's Hustle INK. It's a solid cover and polished. Looks like it should be smooth and may handle the conditions you're experiencing nicely.
Good luck...

#198189 - 09/20/17 02:10 PM Re: Hybrid Ball? [Re: BowlerBill]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I use a Lane Master, Xtreme Damage pearl, highly polished. And, a Hybrid Lane Master with a Vision cover, also polished.

The Pearl carries very long and snaps. The Hybrid goes long and arcs, actually hits stronger. Entry angles are different, with the pearl entering at a wider angle.

I find if I roll more in the oil, say over 15 out to 8, the Hybrid slides longer, and at times, may not make it back. While the pearl does splash on lighter hits, where the hybrid will leave a 2-10 or a bucket.

Both balls are discontinued, but have been replaced with a newer version.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#198190 - 09/20/17 04:30 PM Re: Hybrid Ball? [Re: Dennis Michael]
djp1080 Offline
High Roller

Bought a Storm Torrent solid cover drilled 50 x 3 3/8 x 25 and it is beginning to become my favorite ball. It has plenty of motion on the backend, but it's a bit smoother. I tend to have more room both left and right. On a house shot I can play all three games with it.
This morning I brought out my Brunswick Black Beauty for spare shots. Haven't used it in about 3 years, enjoyed seeing it going down the alleys. It's over 50 years old and looks and feels almost like it was new. Nice new grips and slug. smile

#198192 - 09/21/17 05:44 AM Re: Hybrid Ball? [Re: BowlerBill]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
djp, you're using a ball that is older then a lot of the posters on here.

But, that brings up a question. Every year, we see the "new and improved" balls being marketed. But, are they really?

I know, I went back to balls 6-9 years old and am having success, even on today's different lane conditions. I think I found out that a thorough cleaning and refinishing of the covers allowed the balls to operate as new. Maybe, a change to the cover with a different grit pad. There are so many variables that affect ball performance. The bowler has to be knowledgeable to understand what has to be done, and how to do it.

The cover and core are the starting points. From there, your options are unlimited.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#198193 - 09/21/17 06:08 AM Re: Hybrid Ball? [Re: Dennis Michael]
82Boat69 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 69/M/California
If people looked closer at the details, they'd notice that new bowling balls are just old bowling balls renamed with minor differences.

Right now, the Storm 'Code Red' is a popular ball. The 'Code Red' has the exact same surface as the Storm 'Hy-Road' which was released at the end of 2008.

The Hy-Road weight block was symmetrical. It was called Inverted FeČ Technology and could produce 5-6 inches of flare.

The Code Red weight block is asymmetrical. It's called RAD4 and can produce more flare than a Hy-Road but only for those individuals who can deliver a ball with that much 'hand'.

For average folks, the performance of the 2 balls will be similar. However, the 'Code Red' will set them back a lot more $$'s. Hype!
15 lb Columbia Blue Dot: Circa 1979

325 RPM'a @ 16 MPH

#198194 - 09/21/17 11:14 AM Re: Hybrid Ball? [Re: 82Boat69]
djp1080 Offline
High Roller

Over the last several years I've bought quite a few balls, mostly Storm. When my eyes saw the Hy-Road, it caught my eye and I liked it from the start. It looked like a "real" bowling ball just like my Black Beauty. smile
Yes, the Code Red and Hy-Road use the same cover. I should have waited and got the Code Red rather than the Black. frown
There is a definite difference between symmetrical and asymmetrical weight blocks. Even without that much hand as you say, you should be able to see it.
The Code Black makes a quick, sharp move on the dry boards. Some of the reviews on the Code Red indicate that it's around 4 to 5 boards stronger than the Hy-Road. It's a bit of hype I suppose, but it might be just the ticket for some. It's sure a nice color and I like the taste and smell of cinnamon in my coffee. So there! smile

#198195 - 09/21/17 01:05 PM Re: Hybrid Ball? [Re: djp1080]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: djp1080
Just thinking, your Code Red ball is a hybrid. smile
I have the Code Black and agree with you it can be a bit too strong. I had to take it down from being a polished surface to get it to pick up earlier on the lane. It would go too long and then snap practically behind the head pin.
Based upon what I'm reading from you is that you likely don't need as strong of equipment as you might think.
One ball that recently came out was Roto Grip's Hustle INK. It's a solid cover and polished. Looks like it should be smooth and may handle the conditions you're experiencing nicely.
Good luck...

Yes. I reviewed the specs on the code red and found it is a hybrid. You are correct. I'm not looking for a ball that is as strong as the Code Red.

As another bowling approaching 60, I don't have the ball speed the young players have. The heads do get burned up from players all throwing in the same general area. I like balls that read the midlanes and finish strong.

I'll check out the ball you are using. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - Today at 05:25 PM
Possible Olympic Events?
by 82Boat69 - Today at 04:08 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by wronghander - Yesterday at 10:42 PM
approved ball cleaners
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 03:20 AM
wanted a 1 ball roller bowling bag
by Richie V. - 10/20/17 06:16 PM
trouble sliding
by Rand - 10/20/17 01:30 AM
HY ROAD NANO
by djp1080 - 10/19/17 07:05 PM
Starting dots/boards?
by djp1080 - 10/19/17 01:42 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 10/18/17 10:06 PM
2017 World Championships (Men & Women)
by Richie V. - 10/13/17 04:43 AM
Finger Swelling
by Dennis Michael - 10/12/17 06:44 AM
People who talk [email protected]#$
by goobee - 10/11/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.