BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198134 - 09/12/17 01:18 AM Track My Roll Product
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
What do you guys think about this?

http://trackmyroll.com/

I'm thinking about picking up the app but before I plunk down 20 bux I thought I hear from you guys.

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Blend10 OSW
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#198135 - 09/12/17 03:02 AM Re: Track My Roll Product [Re: goobee]
82Boat69 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 69/M/California
Every sport is inundate with gadgets that allegedly/potentially will help a person's game. This device is no different.

The question that needs to be answered; Armed with the information provided by this device, how will a bowler use that information and what impact will it have on a bowler's delivery/game/average?

Where I bowl we have the newest Brunswick Vector scoring package. It gives immediate statistics based on a person's last delivery and also provides detailed statistics for all deliveries by game and by series.

Do I need an app to tell me I throw the ball too fast or too slow, or do I already know that? The Vector system will tell me what percent of single pin and multiple pin spares I make. Will knowing this percent make me a better spare shooter? No! Only practice will make me a better spare shooter.

Unfortunately, bowling has been reduced to ball speed and RPM's and the ability to match these 2 variables to a given lane oil pattern.

The only way for a bowler to learn to throw a ball faster with more rev's and seamlessly adjust to constantly changing lane conditions, is to 'actually' throw bowling balls. That ability can't be purchased in an app store.

Bowling is a great sport because it gives a bowler immediate feedback in real-time :-) Ringing 10's, flat 10's, 4 pins, 8 pins, and just about every other spare combination speak volumes about what a bowler is doing right or wrong......if they know how to interpret what the pins are telling them.

It's called 'experience' and it can't be purchased.

If you want to help yourself, don't buy a phone app. Instead, have a friend do a video of you throwing a bowling ball that can be viewed in super slow motion or stop-frame. Make a list of everything you can see that's being done right. Now make a list of everything that's being done wrong. Now, make a plan to minimize your weaknesses and optimize your strengths.

Watch your ball's reaction. Can you see all 3 phases of ball motion? If not, why not? Are you using the right ball with the proper drilling for your delivery? No app can tell you that answer.

What are your ball speed, rev-rate, axis-tilt and axis rotation? Don't know? Go to your video and find out. Too many buy bowling equipment based on marketing/ball name recognition, versus, what is the best ball for that person at their current skill level on the lanes they bowl? If you're one, change. Become your own Guru and surround yourself with others like-minded.

The best bowlers in the world don't use phone apps. They have personal trainers, coaches and ball-reps. Most of us won't have or can't afford such perks. But we can find others to help us and we can in turn help whomever needs it.

Take your $20 and have someone make a good video of you bowling. Put it on a big screen and frame forward. Everything you need to know is in that video.
15 lb Columbia Blue Dot: Circa 1978

325 RPM'a @ 16 MPH

#198141 - 09/12/17 01:37 PM Re: Track My Roll Product [Re: goobee]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
wow - how negative can you get?

Here's my reaction:

A: Need a demo. If I'm going to spend PREMIUM money on an app (and $20 is premium for any phone app) I need to try it first. Especially when I can only see two reviews and one says it doesn't work and the other says it may not be all that accurate.

B: If it works, it could be priceless. Here's why:

That guy that says he's throwing the same line every time - SHOW ME. (yeah, that's me too! LOL) While I can't put up the PVC practice dealie at most centers, or put tape down on the lane, I CAN video. I've used several video apps, but this one automatically tracking my line could be amazing.

Accurate speed tracking? Yes please. We all know that the bowling centers' speed trackers are questionable. I only use them for consistency, and even then they're questionable. I've timed shots that were different by at least a few tenths but showed as the same on the screen. . . hmmm . . .but this calculates it so it should be accurate. NOW I can see consistency.

82 - you mentioned the three phases? While you can't see it specifically from the ball track, if you compare it with the video, you can definitely get it. In fact, a good experienced bowler should be able to infer it pretty accurately from the ball track (and then verify it with the video). Again - GREAT feedback for both the bowler and the PSO.

For comparison!!! Oh My Word! Take your equipment out, roll each ball 5 or 6 times and log the tracks - then you can reasonably compare the shape of your balls' tracks. REALLY - what's the difference between A and B?

Laydown, position at every 5 feet, including break point. . .

Seriously, if there were a demo, I'd use it. If it worked on my phone (the only complaint) then I'd buy it. TONS of GREAT info on here.

Is it perfect? No. Does it show everything? No.

IT'S ON A PHONE. It's not TRYING to show everything. Holy cow. It's trying to show very specific information about how your ball works. I can see it being VERY beneficial.

It's not TRYING to replace a video of the bowler's swing. It's not TRYING to replace the PAP/rev-rate/axis information. It DOES have accurate ball speed.

Is it worth $20? . . . . . . . not sure. I'd use it for myself and the boy and my F-in-Law. I MIGHT be able to use it for my wife. So . . . maybe.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#198145 - 09/12/17 06:51 PM Re: Track My Roll Product [Re: goobee]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
This is something I would definitely use.

The lanes I bowl on have a CATS system that tracks this. And, I check it almost every ball rolled. Especially, on an errant ball rolled.

I helps me make adjustments to speed, line up, and entry angle. Even to the point of a ball change.

The fact that I can keep this data for different balls is a distinct advantage. And, even compare it to the same ball on different lanes. Invaluable info.

Since, I do bowl at different centers, I often reload my ball bag with equipment that is center specific, because of oil differences. This makes my decision simpler.

Yeah, I'd get this...... if I had a phone. haha, I dumped it when I retired.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#198149 - 09/13/17 10:35 PM Re: Track My Roll Product [Re: goobee]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

You're like my dad. Prior to his passing, 10 years I tried to get him to use a cell phone. He flat out refused to use the one I bought for him.

15lbs Motiv Venom Shock

Secondary

15lbs Blend10 OSW
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#198150 - 09/14/17 05:05 AM Re: Track My Roll Product [Re: goobee]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
goobee, when I retired, I got rid of cell phone, watch, and alarm clock.

Been happy ever since. My time is my time.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#198153 - 09/14/17 11:17 PM Re: Track My Roll Product [Re: goobee]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

Dad needed his clocks so that he wouldn't miss the games on TV. Baseball, Football, Basketball, Soccer, there wasn't a sport he didn't watch.

15lbs Motiv Venom Shock

Secondary

15lbs Blend10 OSW
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#198176 - 09/19/17 12:40 PM Re: Track My Roll Product [Re: goobee]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

so I bought the program. It works fairly well. Takes a little getting used to, and I'm going to work on finding an optimal camera angle, but for the two shots I tracked last night, it did what it was supposed to.

I tracked one ball for my M-in-Law and one for my F-in-Law. Both were from the right.

I had to set the corner points on the lane for each. This took some getting used to in order to get it done quickly, but it's not bad. After that, there's nothing to it. Really. Get the lane set and . . . it just works.

I got their ball speeds (7.6 for her, 14.4 for him) along with entry angles, break points, laydown boards (which I find interesting - and will use to show their drift) . . .

I pretty much will NOT use this with her.

But with him, we will use this to compare his two strike balls - show him how each works so we can more properly choose which one to use. We'll also use it to check consistency and to explain how the shot worked or didn't work.

For me, I will benchmark all three balls and find how the shots relate to each other so I can have some semi-objective data as to what to specifically what each ball does. I THINK I know, but it's really subjective. I've never video'd them and I've never overlayed them. This will allow me to do so.

Now I need a mount for a tripod so I can set up my phone and just leave it. smile

#198179 - 09/19/17 07:01 PM Re: Track My Roll Product [Re: goobee]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

Thanks for being the guinea pig mmalsed. I have a cheap $100 android phone. Do you think it will work or do I need a better phone?

15lbs Motiv Venom Shock

Secondary

15lbs Blend10 OSW
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#198185 - 09/20/17 12:22 PM Re: Track My Roll Product [Re: goobee]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

It does not seem to use a lot of processing power - it just needs a decent camera (and that really just means decent). Make sure to get all four corners of the lane in the frame.

I haven't messed with the amount of zoom needed - I will try that. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.