BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197941 - 08/02/17 08:04 PM my first ball(s) fitting experiences
DG Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: California
Approximately 10 years ago I decided to try bowling and a local Pro Shop owner finger tip drilled for me a 14 lb Power Groove Reactive.
Over the subsequent 6 months I enjoyed bowling approximately 50 games, but then lost interest.
Fast forward to today and I have decided to start bowling again, mostly as a way to spend time with my 16 year old son. We made a visit to a bowling center and the Pro Shop operator recommended (for my son) a 15 lb Columbia White Dot, drilled conventional. We bought the ball and my son said the fit felt comfortable.
A few days later I had the same guy sell me the same White Dot model ball, drilled conventional, for me.This was the first time I had ever had my own ball drilled conventional. In the shop I could not get the ball off my thumb. The driller told me "it's almost too big now, I won't make it any bigger".
The next day I went to the lanes and for 25% of my attempts the ball stuck to my thumb. The other 75% of the time I had a very late release. I was trying as hard as I could to have my hand-thumb-forearm etc... very relaxed, but the ball still hung up. It was awful.
The next day I visited a different Pro Shop, showed the driller my new ball. He advised that the span was correct and that the thumb hole size was about right. He told me that the thumb pitch was drilled .25" forward. I asked him if changing it to reverse pitch would prevent my thumb from getting hung up within the ball.
He replied that zero pitch would likely work, so I had him do it. He installed a slug, then drilled an zero pitch thumb hole.
Yesterday I bowled three games with the ball's new pitch and had scores of 132, 190, 158. For me those are good scores. But most important (to me) was that I had a lot of fun seeing the ball go more or less where I was trying to roll it. And, I was not worrying about the ball sticking to my thumb, possibly hurting myself etc...
I ask you experienced bowlers if it is common for .25" difference in thumb pitch to make such a dramatic difference? My assumption is that advanced skilled bowlers can probably do reasonably well with just about any type of drilling, but myself being a relative beginner I had trouble with a forward pitch thumb hole.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#197943 - 08/02/17 10:21 PM Re: my first ball(s) fitting experiences [Re: DG]
82Boat69 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 69/M/California
First, a little chap-stick will help get your thumb out.

Tighter thumbs are to help you relax your hand, wrist, arm and shoulder during delivery.

Before you decide to have the ball filled and re-drilled, when you throw the ball, is your thumb at eleven o'clock and does it come out before your fingers?

If not, it should. Often, hanging up in the thumb is a symptom of poor delivery/release technique than poor ball drilling.
15 lb Columbia Blue Dot: Circa 1978

325 RPM'a @ 16 MPH

#197944 - 08/02/17 10:35 PM Re: my first ball(s) fitting experiences [Re: DG]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
The general rule is, forward pitch helps you hold onto the ball and reverse helps you get out of the ball faster.

As to your question, everyone's hand is difference so it's difficult to compare. I wouldn't fault the first driller, he gave you what he thought was a safe pitch angle.

When you get better, you'll want to step back up to a reactive ball and that White Dot will work great as a spare ball.

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Blend10 OSW
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#197945 - 08/02/17 11:32 PM Re: my first ball(s) fitting experiences [Re: DG]
djp1080 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 70/m/IL
My thumb pitch is 3/8" forward.
Previously my thumb pitch was reversed and I didn't know anything different at the time (high school or earlier). Much of the time I'd drop the ball, but never went back to the Pro Shop. After coming back to this game about 7 years ago I knew that the lanes and balls had changed drastically. So I was determined to learn a bit about modern bowling which eventually led me to wanting to go to a forward pitch on my thumb hole.
Step 1 was to try zero pitch and after a few changes the Pro Shop had me where I'm today. I clear the hole fine and my grip is relaxed. I continue to experiment with both black and white tape in each ball I use. I recently tried Powerhouse's tape and I think I like their products better than others.
I'm happy with the changes I've made in thumb pitch. It among other things was quite a surprising learning experience.

#197946 - 08/02/17 11:40 PM Re: my first ball(s) fitting experiences [Re: 82Boat69]
DG Offline
League Bowler

For 82Boat69,

Please read my post and understand that I've already had the ball re-drilled. I enjoy rolling it much better now that it has zero pitch.
In his shop, when he realized the ball was hung up on my thumb, the original driller did offer some chap-stick. But I was still unable to the ball to release from my thumb.
To summarize, I had a hung up thumb with a .25 forward pitch, and no thumb issue once the pitch was changed to zero.
I understand , and agree with your point, that "often, hanging up in the thumb is a symptom of poor delivery/release technique than poor ball drilling". But, no matter what I tried I could not get the .25" forward pitch drilled ball off my thumb.At least now with the zero pitch I can roll the ball:)

Edited by DG (08/02/17 11:46 PM)

#197947 - 08/02/17 11:53 PM Re: my first ball(s) fitting experiences [Re: goobee]
DG Offline
League Bowler

Originally Posted By: goobee
The general rule is, forward pitch helps you hold onto the ball and reverse helps you get out of the ball faster.

As to your question, everyone's hand is difference so it's difficult to compare. I wouldn't fault the first driller, he gave you what he thought was a safe pitch angle.

When you get better, you'll want to step back up to a reactive ball and that White Dot will work great as a spare ball.

I do not fault the first driller. I imagine it is not easy drilling for a novice bowler.
As for a reactive ball, in the 65 or so games I played with my Power Groove Reactive, I did enjoy the moderate hook ball it offered me.
That one was drilled finger tip. If I bought another reactive ball, but with conventional grip, would it hook more than my new White Dot ball ?

#197948 - 08/02/17 11:59 PM Re: my first ball(s) fitting experiences [Re: djp1080]
DG Offline
League Bowler

Originally Posted By: djp1080
My thumb pitch is 3/8" forward.
Previously my thumb pitch was reversed and I didn't know anything different at the time (high school or earlier). Much of the time I'd drop the ball, but never went back to the Pro Shop. After coming back to this game about 7 years ago I knew that the lanes and balls had changed drastically. So I was determined to learn a bit about modern bowling which eventually led me to wanting to go to a forward pitch on my thumb hole.
Step 1 was to try zero pitch and after a few changes the Pro Shop had me where I'm today. I clear the hole fine and my grip is relaxed. I continue to experiment with both black and white tape in each ball I use. I recently tried Powerhouse's tape and I think I like their products better than others.
I'm happy with the changes I've made in thumb pitch. It among other things was quite a surprising learning experience.

Thanks for your reply smile
I am not sure why my thumb hung up in the .25" forward pitch. It was probably too much tension. I do know it is easier for me to maintain a straight thumb with the ball's current zero pitch.

#197949 - 08/03/17 08:21 AM Re: my first ball(s) fitting experiences [Re: DG]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
If you have forward pitch in thumb, it shortens your span. You have to relax span too.

If you leave span the same, you grip the ball, unintentionally.

I've been going to a diff ball driller last couple years, and having trouble with him. I finally pulled out an old ball and found it much more comfortable. Had my thumb checked.

The new driller had thumb at 0-0. And, the old ball was 9/16 reverse. Changed all balls, and they now fit.

Edited by Dennis Michael (08/03/17 08:47 AM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#197951 - 08/03/17 01:25 PM Re: my first ball(s) fitting experiences [Re: DG]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
Originally Posted By: DG

If I bought another reactive ball, but with conventional grip, would it hook more than my new White Dot ball ?

Most likely yes. The majority of higher performance balls have an inner core that help them move on their own. On balls specs you'll see a term called "flare" which is basically the amount of wobble the core produces. The more flare or wobble, the higher the potential for the ball to create hook on its own. Obviously this is an overly simplified expanation as there are other factors involved as well.

Find a driller who will watch you bowl. With first hand knowledge of your game, that PSO should be able to recommend a good ball and layout for your style.

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Blend10 OSW
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#197952 - 08/03/17 02:22 PM Re: my first ball(s) fitting experiences [Re: DG]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Northern CA
.25 difference in pitch is quite a bit and it can make all the difference in the world. I am currently at 3/16 reverse at 4 3/4 span. I have tried to go more forward in the thumb, but even 1/16 of an inch more forward makes me hang up and not be able to get out of the ball.. so I have stuck with 3/16 which I can get out of with no issues.

Book Average 220

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Hammer "Black Widow Urethane"
by nord - Yesterday at 12:35 AM
Honor scores 2017-18
by wronghander - 11/21/17 11:58 PM
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - 11/19/17 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - 11/19/17 10:04 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 12:09 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.