BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197372 - 04/30/17 12:28 PM Re: Loving the sport patterns [Re: SteveH]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
What I love about sport patterns is the immediate respect it instills.

When 900s are bowled nowadays, the immediate response is a sort of smirking and rolling of the eyes. Yeah its impressive, but its no longer that impressive.

But if someone shoots 830 at nationals this year, the immediate, unquestioned response is going to be, WOW! Or a 2200 All-Events. Or a 10,000 Team All-Events. Those are unquestionable achievements in bowling skill. Sean Lavery-Spahr's 300/798 at the Bowler's Journal is mind blowing if you ask me. Those scores, on that pattern, while changing lanes...very impressive.

The sad thing is that house bowling is so easy compared to what they're putting down at Nationals, it doesn't give the impression that hard work is the answer. Its more along the lines of, if you weren't a child prodigy that excelled as a junior, bowled the Junior Gold, was recruited to the best colleges, had the best coaching, and made Team USA...forget it.

Honestly, that's how I feel sometimes. But I know deep down that more work with the spare ball is the answer. And when I can honestly hit anything on the lane with it, I'll have the same prowess with my strike ball.

Back to work.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#197373 - 04/30/17 12:43 PM Re: Loving the sport patterns [Re: W9JAB]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
Originally Posted By: W9JAB

But what interested me the most is
Quote:
oil patterns that were illegal 40-50 years ago legal today

Could you elaborate on that.
I'm interested in Bowling History.

Up until the late 1950s, lanes had shellac on them. They weren't oiled. The shellac was a soft surface that a groove or track could be carved into with use. Scores of that era were actually very high. There were 230 averages in those days, Allie Brandt shoot an 886 in 1939, and famed Budweisers Team record of 3858 were all bowled on shellac. In fact, the Hermann Undertakers shot their record of 3797 in 1937 on the exact same pair of lanes. When teams bowl scores like that today, upper level bowlers roll their eyes and thank the lane conditions and balls for making it too easy, forgetting that until the 50s, people could roll similar scores with two fingered rubber balls, just by dumping them in the track with a weak release.

Then in the mid 1950s shellac disappeared and was replaced with lacquer. And shortly after lacquer, the lanes were first oiled. And not long after oiling, someone realized you could put more in the middle, less on the outsides, and create a high scoring environment.

The ABC (now USBC) cracked down on the practice, allowing no more than a 2:1 ratio of oil in the middle to the outside. This kept scores low through the 70s. Urethane balls increased scores in the 80s a bit, but not a lot.

In those days, if you shot a 300, a lane inspector came to verify the lanes were legal. Piles of honor scores were denied because the ABC said the lanes were non-compliant...too easy.

They eventually gave up the fight in the late 80s/early 90s, and tat with the introduction of reactive balls at the same time caused the scores to go through the roof.

#197377 - 04/30/17 01:32 PM Re: Loving the sport patterns [Re: SteveH]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 51/M/Brockton, MA
Very interesting bit of bowling history, champ smile
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 168 HS: 556 HG: 191
Sunday Niters - Avg: 181 HS: 592 HG: 214
Composite Avg: 175

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#197378 - 04/30/17 05:13 PM Re: Loving the sport patterns [Re: Richie V.]
82Boat69 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 69/M/California
Today, lane machines are computerized and very high tech. The oil volume for any pattern can be laid down front-to-back, back-to-front and side-to-side.

When I was a kid, we laid down oil with a bug sprayer walking backwards and then evened it out by dragging the lane.

What is considered a typical house shot today, with minor changes, was called a 'block' years ago. The term 'block' came along with lane machines. Early machines had a wick that ran the width of the machine. By shimming the wick which was illegal, the machine could be made to lay down deep oil in the middle and virtually none outside.

If you looked at this pattern from lane level, it would appear to be a block of oil from 12-12 or 10-10. The idea was to make balls thrown wide to hook back towards the pocket, but then the oil in the middle would keep the ball from going high on the nose. Suddenly, errant shots became strikes. Also, shots pulled left wouldn't cross-over and go Brooklyn, they would also hang in the pocket. More errant shots that became strikes.

I can't remember the exact years anymore, 80-90, but ABC allowed what was called a 'short-oil' shot for a number of years. The rule said lanes could have oil for only 20 feet if at least 10 units were put down, side to side. Ten units would show a smear if you moved your finger across it.

Short oil combined with polyester or urethane, 2 surfaces that didn't over-react, created a really high scoring environment.

I read somewhere that in 1966, about 600 perfectos were shot nationwide. By 1986, that number had risen to 36,000.

In the early 60's if you shot a 300, the 300 ring came with a quarter carat diamond. Later, rings were made out of bronze and the bowler had to buy their own diamond :-)

After short-oil, individual perfectos lost their luster. How many became more important and how many in one set became more important.

Today, individual perfectos have lost all meaning. Young kids throw them and ancient mariners throw them. You've probably seen the video of a person throwing 12 strikes across 10 lanes in just 86 seconds. That says it all.

If USBC doesn't step up and create lane patterns that challenge bowlers more, or change the rules for bowling balls, bowling will just become another arcade game that will disappear because 60 foot lanes are a huge waste of space.

I've already seen where some leagues use the 30 point must system where bowlers only throw 10 frames. Every strike is worth 30. If a person throws 10 strikes, they call that a 300.

I'm just glad I learned to bowl when it was still tough to do. I shot my first 300 with a hard rubber ball. Not an easy task. It was also the first sanctioned 300 in that house. The house was built in 1959 and I shot the first 300 in 1979. That shows how tough it use to be.
15 lb Columbia Blue Dot: 1979 Version

325 RPM'a @ 16 MPH

#197399 - 05/02/17 10:12 PM Re: Loving the sport patterns [Re: SteveH]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 61/M/Burlington VT
Ok. Tonight's bowling in US Open pattern.

Took the Crux to 1000 with a slightly used 1000 Siiar pad. I wish I had gone 5000/2000 instead. More friction left of 10 than I imagined.

Shot 167/208/173. Missed some easy spares, which were easy tonight. Easiest 10 pins I ever picked off. Maybe the lane man screwed up, who knows?

This is what bowling needs to be to be a sport, a real sport.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Storm Crux
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#197472 - 05/12/17 11:32 AM Re: Loving the sport patterns [Re: SteveH]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
To add to Champ and boat, my history goes back to the early 60's. Yes, wooden lands, lacquered, with rubber balls. In those days, to become an ABC member, the house where you bowled had to submit your name and sponsor you. All bowling records were kept with the house. And, to qualify, you had to maintain 3 league averages at 195 or higher. In either 3 separate leagues or over 3 years.

Here, In Chicago, the house sponsored a House team who bowled competitively against other houses. Continued success and notoriety allowed the individual bowler to be elevated to higher tournaments and competition, regionally, then Nationally.

The lacquer finish did get grooves, which was partially remedied by applying a thin coat of oil on the lane for protection and to add life. At first, the lanes were oiled from foul line to pin deck, which cause some real slick conditions. The Bowling proprietors association found that bowling was more enjoyable if the pattern was shortened, ultimately to 24 feet as a minimum standard. But, that started the advent of ball manufacturer developments from rubber to urethane. And, hence, the competition between the lane conditions and the bowling ball development. Longer oil lead to different covers, and cores. To where we are today.

Most don't know that this has been a recognized event for a long while. Which was proclaimed to be the ruin of the sport of bowling.

The first automated oiler was invented in Crystal Lake, Il, near here. Rather then spray oil and wipes, the laneman, John Davis, took a 44" wide mop, used to clean the lanes. Affixed a bottle to the handle full of lane oil, and dripped it onto the mop thru tubes to various points on the mop. His purpose was to achieve consistency from lane to lane, rather then a random spray. His patent was purchased by what is today, the Kegel Company. He was the first President. Read his comments attached.

http://www.kegel.net/wpa/2016/3/14/the-cornerstone-volume-1-the-presidents-letter

Edited by Dennis Michael (05/12/17 11:45 AM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#197476 - 05/12/17 05:41 PM Re: Loving the sport patterns [Re: SteveH]
goobee Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
I remember that too, but it was the late 70's and 80's for me. You had to average something for 3 seasons, then you bowled regionals for a period of time and you had to achieve a certain amount of victories/accomplishments before you qualified to move up. The majority of people never made it out of regionals.

Back then, a 191 average actually meant something. These days with ball technology the way it is, you can miss 2 - 3 spare a game and still average 190+.

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Blend10 OSW
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#197479 - 05/13/17 03:36 AM Re: Loving the sport patterns [Re: SteveH]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Ball technology has almost replaced the ability of the bowler. The proverbial hook in the box.

I have an opportunity to compare bowlers of diff age groups. As, I bowl in competitive leagues and also work with Seniors to smoothen their approach, especially after knee or hip replacement.The one I like to compare to is old Ed. I first saw him on the lanes 5 years ago. He had a herky-jerky motion to where it hurt me to watch. After spending a few sessions with him, he has smoothened out. No strain to roll the ball. And, his average has climbed.

Oh, Ed is 97 years old. Went to Nationals for the first time in 30 years. Loved it.

then, I compare him to the younger bowler who whips the ball, flips it with his fingers, turns sideways on delivery, and has no slide, but plants. So dynamically different. But he scores. He wants the biggest hooking ball, to swing it as far as he can. Bank the ball off the dry is all he knows.

He complains when there is more oil. And, can only bowl on a house shot.

I know in my heart, he will not be bowling at 97 like Ed.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#197493 - 05/15/17 12:12 PM Re: Loving the sport patterns [Re: SteveH]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
and he probably complains when there is no oil in the middle. . . no way to get the ball outside . . .

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#197495 - 05/15/17 12:41 PM Re: Loving the sport patterns [Re: Dennis Michael]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
Quote:
Oh, Ed is 97 years old. Went to Nationals for the first time in 30 years. Loved it.

You Go ED thumbsup

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by BOSStull - 56 minutes 30 seconds ago
Hybrid Ball?
by BOSStull - Today at 05:26 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by goobee - Yesterday at 07:21 PM
What a Disparity
by goobee - Yesterday at 07:08 PM
Track My Roll Product
by Dennis Michael - 09/20/17 01:49 PM
Lane Machine Breakdowns
by Dennis Michael - 09/20/17 01:31 PM
PRODIGY BOWLERS TOUR -- 09-16-2017 "BOWLAPALOOZA"
by W9JAB - 09/20/17 11:20 AM
Slow speed and weak release - matching up...
by mmalsed - 09/19/17 12:16 PM
Riverside Lanes, Laughlin, Nv?
by BowlerBill - 09/18/17 12:08 AM
Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh BOY!!!
by 6_ball_man - 09/15/17 01:41 PM
Help with unknown Rhino
by jeff bruce - 09/12/17 12:40 PM
Reactive Balls are designed to be throw hard!
by nord - 09/09/17 11:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.