BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197789 - 06/30/17 05:07 AM Re: Lane Machine Breakdowns [Re: BOSStull]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 61/M /Georgia
Originally Posted By: BOSStull
Our first lane machine break down in a long time occurred a couple of weeks ago and has created havoc among many bowlers accustomed to a specific THS shot.

Our THS has not been the same for 4 weeks. Week 1 of bowling was the normal house shot. The next week a noticeable change very dry with a lot of complaints from bowlers. Week 3 oiled with an older machine. Lane man said the other one broke last week. This time it was like a reverse blocks outside of 5 being out of bounds.. oops This week again oiled differently again. This time a noticeable visual difference. No longer the usual BOWLMOR 24" start of the oil but more like 6-8 in.I was asssured this time that this pattern is it until they start using a brand new machine in a couple of weeks. I have bowled near or above average each week so it was no big deal but it sure put my team mates in a FUNK. I wonder what it is going to be like in a couple weeks. I do hope they keep the stat of the oil at 6.

It was our Brunswick machine that broke. The older Kegel machine is being used now. I was told they are getting a new machine. I would be happy with the Kegel. It laid a good THS down last week.
Spoke too soon. Back to the shot with outside out of 5 being out of bounds. Bring on the mew machine.
This is it. Same this week. Kegel machine. I considered the outside shot was my A game. Since it was no longer there I was forced to move in and bowled well. As long as they are consistent I will be happy.

https://www.pinterest.com/bosstull/

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#197832 - 07/10/17 10:22 AM Re: Lane Machine Breakdowns [Re: BowlerBill]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
The past 2 weeks of bowling have been....... different. I found out yesterday that the new Brunswick machine is NOT stripping correctly. It seems to strip in lines downlane. Some boards stripped, others not.

Desk guy told me they are working on it.

Well, this house is in trouble. 2 bar tenders have been let go for over filling drinks. The Manager, who stood up to the Corporate Auditors who found that problem, and defended the bar tenders, just quit. This is on top of the head Laneman who quit last month. And, left the lane machine not working.

They are under staffed, and service is not good. People wait at the desk for a lane, because the desk person has to go in the back office to record their daily receipts. Often, the desk person also runs the concession. So, wait for a lane or your burger.

But, the building has been painted outside, red, black, white and grey stripes. The interior is in various stages of remodel. All, unfinished. Half painted walls every where. Bathrooms need help, as they fired the cleaning crew and employees have to clean them.

This buyout of Brunswick took a top 10 house, Nationally, and made it a sorry place to go.

Oh, and the water main to the building broke 2 weeks ago. We now have a 4 foot deep hole in the main drive, with water spewing out. There is a backhoe blocking the path of cars.

If this happened during league season, teams would be bolting.

The lane condition is the least of the problems.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#197833 - 07/10/17 12:29 PM Re: Lane Machine Breakdowns [Re: BowlerBill]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Our league fled from Brunswick to an independent center. Whether the machines were not functioning correctly or just being used incorrectly or just not caring. . . well, the new (old) independent house is really treating us better. Full-strip just before league and nobody allowed on the lanes before we bowl.

So much nicer!

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#197837 - 07/11/17 06:18 PM Re: Lane Machine Breakdowns [Re: BowlerBill]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

MMalsed, that's a bowling alley, not entertainment center.

Anyone read the article in Bowling This Month, by Johnson. good quote. "Bowling is governed by lane conditions and equipment." Is the bowler really immaterial?

Heard today that a few teams are not coming back for Monday. And, they don't know about my team that is leaving too. Probably 6 of the 24 teams are leaving Monday, and 4 of the 16 on thursday men's.

It's now July 11. 2 full weeks of a back how blocking the drive. but, concrete is poured.

#197843 - 07/12/17 10:20 PM Re: Lane Machine Breakdowns [Re: BowlerBill]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
Before I retired from bowling in 1991, I don't recall much complaining about lane conditions. Complaints about approaches were plenty but lanes, no. It appears times have really changed and definitely not for the better.

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Blend10 OSW
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#197844 - 07/13/17 05:17 AM Re: Lane Machine Breakdowns [Re: goobee]
82Boat69 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 69/M/California
Hear! Hear!

It use to be, tough lane conditions were expected. Nobody knew what to expect.

Today, everyone has an 'inflated' average and a false sense of their own capabilities. When lane machines breakdown, they're forced to deal with the truth about their game.

In my opinion, bowling ball manufacturers and bowling proprietors have sewn the seeds of their own demise. By making the game so easy, nobody has to practice to be good.
15 lb Columbia Blue Dot: Circa 1978

325 RPM'a @ 16 MPH

#197845 - 07/13/17 11:54 AM Re: Lane Machine Breakdowns [Re: BowlerBill]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
that's strange, I distinctly remember complaints about the lanes in the late 80s and 90s. Complaints that the mopping was not done evenly or that too much was sprayed on.

We have a tendency to put a golden hue on everything in the past. But if you look at old BBS's, or old list-serves, you'll see the same complaints, but just in a different color. Bowling balls that were too soft, or a bleeder, or cheating on the scorecard (which was EASY) before they became irrelevant, or too much top weight or using/bringing acetone or MEK.

My complaints about the machines are when they actually malfunction (in one case, you could see a "stripe" of oil going down the lane) or when management doesn't clean the lane after parties, just runs the machine down 30-40 feet and calls it good.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#197846 - 07/13/17 03:04 PM Re: Lane Machine Breakdowns [Re: mmalsed]
Mkirchie Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 37/M/New Jersey
We can't forget complaining about the pins. Our center got new pins for the fall season a few weeks ago as the current pins are a few years old. Out of curiosity, I asked the manager when they were being put in since I figured it would be right at the start of the fall season like they normally do when they get new pins. He said they're going in the beginning of August because of complaints that they will not be broken in yet. He also mentioned how the same people complaining that they will be too new were complaining about the current pins being too old. The manager has been in the industry a long time and he pretty much echoed what mmalsed said that bowlers have been complaining about lots of stuff for a very long time.

As a side note, I love when the center gets new pins because I love how much more crisp they sound.

Mark

#197848 - 07/14/17 09:01 AM Re: Lane Machine Breakdowns [Re: Mkirchie]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
Quote:
complaints that they will not be broken in yet. He also mentioned how the same people complaining that they will be too new were complaining about the current pins being too old.

THE STORY OF THE THREE UNBEARABLE
These Pins are to old.
These Pins are to new.
Ah these Pins are just right.

#197885 - 07/22/17 03:40 AM Re: Lane Machine Breakdowns [Re: BowlerBill]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Went to the lanes today. They had a Lane man come from another center to work on our oiler. He did find some broken parts to replace.

he also set up the machine to lay the same pattern as his center has. And, we tried it out.

It's wider then out pattern which was a narrow XMas tree. Dry outside of 8. And, stripped back end. Can't tell you the total units.

Anyhow, I found it to be a much fairer shot. smoother transition exiting the dry, giving a nicely rounded hook to the pocket. I got good length and the ball never broke early. Not as much snap on the back end.

6 of us tried out the pattern with different opinions. Those who rolled straight up 10 found it slicker. And outside to the 8 was not to their liking. Others who rolled a down and in shot found it smooth with good back end reaction.

I got good length, even at my speed. Used my heavier balls to start, the switched to a pearl straight up. I liked it.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Black Friday Purchase
by goobee - Today at 02:30 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by wronghander - Yesterday at 10:41 PM
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 04:16 PM
Hammer "Black Widow Urethane"
by nord - 11/22/17 12:35 AM
Honor scores 2017-18
by wronghander - 11/21/17 11:58 PM
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - 11/19/17 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - 11/19/17 10:04 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 12:09 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.