BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197800 - 07/01/17 03:03 PM Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
nord Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/Santee/CA

Hello All,

I recently obtained a Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane ball!

I have done some research since I got the ball and learned some interesting things about its construction and performance.

The Midnight Scorcher is a super strong Particle Urethane ball made by Visionary Bowling.
The specs of the DC core are: a high RG of 2.63 but also a very high Differential of .063.
The ball is actually a weak asymmetric with an intermediate differential of .006.
I laid this ball out as a symmetric, which is ok to do because of the weak asymmetry.
The ball is drilled with a strong Full Roller layout with pin at 3 3/8”.

These core specs, combined with the super strong cover, make the ball very smooth and controllable with a very heavy roll.

According to Visionary Bowling the particles in the ball are a very tough, but soft Polybutadiene compound, somewhat similar to the rubber used in tires.
The particles have the ability to absorb small amounts of oil and expand slightly to create even more traction in the oil, and that is why the ball feels like it has beard stubble once it gets some oil on it.
The Particles act like tire treads and allow the Scorcher to hook in even the heaviest oils.

The stock grit is 320 wet sand, but this was way, way, way too strong for me on a house shot regardless of the density of the oil volume.
After experimentation, I settled on 1500 grit. This suits my slower ball speed and full roll.
Remember, when changing the surface of this ball, only use Scotch-Brite pads or you will sand down the particles and lose the reaction.

In the test video below, I am bowing on the Big Ben pattern and the lane surface is the very slick Brunswick Anvilane.
This particular lane is very, very smooth as it never gets league play and has not been tracked in.
Compared to the same pattern on the league lanes, this lane has 6 boards less hook for me with this ball, so I had to stand more right and go down and in.

Please feel free to comment if you have more technical information on this unique ball which seems especially made for my vintage style of play.

I have attached a photo which allows you to see the particles which shine like stars in the Midnight sky.

Enjoy the heavy rolling, hard hitting Midnight Scorcher which I have dubbed: “The Dragon!”

Best viewed in fullscreen 1080p HD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eprmr4vLp1Q

Attachments
The Midnight Scorcher Forum.jpg

Parkway House Avg. 180

Arsenal:
Hammer Dark Legend Solid
Visionary Midnight Scorcher
Billy Hardwick Rubber Ball
The Crow Urethane

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#197813 - 07/03/17 10:42 AM Re: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane [Re: nord]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
From what I found out about this ball is it needs oil, but it would be interesting to see what happens at a dry lane.

#197816 - 07/05/17 03:13 AM Re: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane [Re: nord]
Dennis Michael Online   jestera
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Nord, I like the markings on your ball. As, it allows me to follow the ball rotation down the lane. Yes, it does hit heavy, as you said. The ball rotation turns forward as it hits the breakpoint.

I am a proponent of particle covers, and have 3 in my bag today. Hard to find current balls with that technology. As, porous covers seem to be the flavor of the day.

The particle expansion is a new twist to me. My balls are diamond and carbon particles. They act more like studded snow tires. But, each ball in my bag gets good traction. Different oil volume dictates the different cover I will use. (Particle-pearl, particle-soft and particle-hard covers)

Like you, since my knee operations, ball speed has been my problem. What used to be 17.5 mph now is more in the 12.5-13 range.

I recently got my first all urethane ball. Was prompted to do so by reading your other topic. Thank you for that. The outside, straight-up line is so new and different to me.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#197817 - 07/05/17 06:06 PM Re: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane [Re: Dennis Michael]
nord Offline
Touring Pro Contender

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
Nord, I like the markings on your ball. As, it allows me to follow the ball rotation down the lane. Yes, it does hit heavy, as you said. The ball rotation turns forward as it hits the breakpoint.

I recently got my first all urethane ball. Was prompted to do so by reading your other topic. Thank you for that. The outside, straight-up line is so new and different to me.

Yes, I always use white inserts on my balls so I can visually see my rotation to help me know when I am releasing the ball correctly or incorrectly.

I am really liking my first particle ball.
I love it because it has the control and motion of a urethane ball without the progressive reduction in hitting power that happens to all urethane balls as they get more and more oil on them.
The Scorcher has the control of urethane and the hitting power of reactive.

Which urethane ball did you get?
Parkway House Avg. 180

Arsenal:
Hammer Dark Legend Solid
The Crow Urethane

#197818 - 07/06/17 07:52 AM Re: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane [Re: nord]
Virtual League Champion

haha, to be honest, I don't know. Have to go in trunk and look. In a box. Only used a few times.

Pro Shop found it on back room shelf. Had been drilled in error few years ago, but never used. I talked with Pro Shop guy about the conversation on here.
He plugged it and drilled for me. No charge.

It's blue,

#197822 - 07/07/17 06:58 PM Re: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane [Re: Dennis Michael]
nord Offline
Touring Pro Contender

Could be the Blue Hammer.
Parkway House Avg. 180

Arsenal:
Hammer Dark Legend Solid
The Crow Urethane

#197823 - 07/07/17 10:02 PM Re: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane [Re: nord]
Mkirchie Online   content
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 36/M/New Jersey
Originally Posted By: nord
Could be the Blue Hammer.

I was going to say the same thing until I saw you already said it. When I got my Super Natural I was also thinking of getting the blue hammer.

Mark

#197830 - 07/09/17 12:52 AM Re: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane [Re: Mkirchie]
nord Offline
Touring Pro Contender

I am curious about how the Blue Hammer works on modern house shots.
The out of box grit is 4000!
Why?
That is a very high grit for a urethane ball.
For 15 lbs,
The RG is medium high: 2.57
The Diff is medium: .032.
What was Hammer up to when they made this ball?
Parkway House Avg. 180

Arsenal:
Hammer Dark Legend Solid
The Crow Urethane

#197831 - 07/10/17 09:47 AM Re: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane [Re: nord]
Virtual League Champion

It is a Blue Hammer.

Strange, but the RG and Diff are identical to my LM Terminator, (2.58, .032).

I'm having trouble playing an outside shot, straight up. I'm just not familiar with it. I tend to push it too far down lane. If I don't, it crowds the head pin. Somewhere, there is a shot. I just cant find it.

Straight up 6-8 is the best target area. And, that's almost always dry. But, works better with my slower speed.

I certainly couldn't do that line with any of my other balls. Except my plastic spare ball.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh BOY!!!
by Dennis Michael - Today at 12:51 AM
Sign-up open for fall V-league (closes 8/20)
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 01:38 PM
New Ball
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 12:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2017 thread
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 05:33 AM
2017 World Championships (Men & Women)
by Richie V. - 07/18/17 08:51 PM
2017 USBC Open Championships
by Richie V. - 07/18/17 05:03 PM
Code Red
by djp1080 - 07/18/17 12:32 PM
2017 National sport adjusted average rule
by mmalsed - 07/18/17 11:48 AM
USBC grants certificate 11925 to unusual tournamen
by rrb6699 (RayRay) - 07/17/17 11:13 PM
Loving the sport patterns
by wronghander - 07/17/17 10:41 PM
Any advice would be appreciated!
by iconz116 - 07/17/17 02:26 PM
Stuart Williams Hy-Road Live
by BOSStull - 07/16/17 10:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.