BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197533 - 05/25/17 10:40 AM Down And In
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
I bowl twice a week, and due to the fact that I'm three days older that dirt, some days I'm just sore all over, the weather or whatever. eek

Were I bowl the house dose not give us any warm-up frames. livid

Any way last time out, I just was not up to tossing my heaver Code Black, so I decided to use my lighter LT48, that I mostly use for spares, as I can toss very straight.

Just for the heck of it, using a "Frozen Rope" or Suitcase release from board 7 tossed it down the 5 arrow and got a strike, ball speed approx 12mph. in fact I got seven in a row with this method.

The problem is it's also very easy to toss it in the gutter playing that close to the edge.

So I'm looking for any tips other down and in players might use for this type of shot.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#197534 - 05/25/17 12:08 PM Re: Down And In [Re: W9JAB]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
Playing close to the channel is the same as hitting a golf ball over water. The fear is psychosomatic. Shooting 10 pins for right handers and vice versus for lefties probably falls into the same category.

What a bowler can and can't do is mostly in their heads. Newbies who spray the ball all over because they haven't gained the necessary control have a right to be afraid, but anyone who's been shooting for a few months should understand that they can throw their normal shot wherever they choose.

Whether that shot is down and in or cross alley or from deep inside, the basic shot shouldn't change. Failure to learn this simple lesson early can turn a person into a fundamentally flawed bowler for years to come

Practice/experience will make the fear go away.

The more angles a player can shoot from, the more advantage that bowler will have over those who cannot or will not. Nothing drives me crazier than bowlers who say they can't do something or won't even try it. They become like 4 year olds at dinner. Knowing how their ball will react from the different angles may require some trial and error, but their delivery shouldn't change.

There's nothing more entertaining than a person who otherwise is a good bowler, looking like a giraffe at a watering hole trying to shoot anything but the 2nd arrow.

Now that I've ranted, here's a few thing to help with shooting down and in.

Unless the lanes are like ice, don't use your strongest equipment. All delivery errors will be magnified by an aggressive ball.

Watch axis rotation for 2 reasons; First if you pull a ball with too much axis rotation off the corner, you can wave bye bye to the head pin. Secondly, depending on how close you are to the channel, the simple act of going inside out with your hand can airmail a shot into the channel.

Don't move so far right that you have to increase speed to hold the ball off the nose. Failure to hold that speed will give the same result as too much axis rotation.

Don't expect the corner to last very long. If the lane oil is crowned from a THS, the area right of the 5 board will be driest. The one and 2 boards may be like the rail on a pool table. If your ball get to them early, the result will be on the nose or left.

Be as smooth as possible and get the ball off your hand as clean as possible. Any loss of body angle, pulling the ball instead of waiting, letting your elbow getaway or going over the top of your shot will be much more disastrous off the corner.

Good luck!

#197535 - 05/25/17 01:09 PM Re: Down And In [Re: 82Boat69]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 71/m/IL
Good morning Boat, Splain something to me please!
Apparently you understood what Joe wrote earlier today.
Perhaps you can explain it to me.
He claims he tossed his LT48 from board 7 (that's seven boards from the right gutter I guess). Not sure where he was standing, but my guess is that his left foot was on about board 14 or 15.
He says he threw the ball over the 5th arrow (that's twenty five boards from the right gutter, isn't it?). He says he got seven (strikes?) in a row using that method. He must be throwing a hellacious back up ball with that LT48.

#197536 - 05/25/17 02:41 PM Re: Down And In [Re: djp1080]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

Quote:
He claims he tossed his LT48 from board 7 (that's seven boards from the right gutter I guess). Not sure where he was standing, but my guess is that his left foot was on about board 14 or 15.

No inside of left foot on 7 board,rolling ball over 5 arrow.
The ball hooks at the very end of the lane.
And yes 7 in a row until I started tossing in the gutter.

#197537 - 05/25/17 04:55 PM Re: Down And In [Re: djp1080]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

He said 5th arrow but I'm sure he meant 5th board.

As a kid I got a job at a bowling alley. After using a bug sprayer to lay the oil down and spreading it out with a drag mop, the oil was like STP from the foul line to the pin deck :-) My friends claimed their balls had rooster tails, but I knew they were exaggerating.

I would stand with my left toe lined up with the right channel, loft the gutter cap and land on the 1 board. As my ball would rotate near the channel I could hear a faint whistling sound as my thumb rotated around over the channel :-)

I grew up playing down and in :-) Even today I can play up the 1 board or bank off the 1 down lane to get more angle. Despite fearing I would throw gutter balls, I really never threw that many. That's how I know the fear is in my/our heads :-)

Back then, it was the only way to get any angle into the pocket and even then, throwing 16 pounds, 5's, 5-7's, 5-8's. 5-10's and 8-10's weren't uncommon.

I haven't found any synthetic lanes that were that oily. Today, most folks just lay-down outside the oil pattern and let the lane funnel their ball into the pocket. I like to be further left, accumulate oil going out, and use the back-end to recover.

Down and in is okay, it just doesn't allow a person to open-up the lane. Bellying the ball out to the edge would be preferable to straight down and in or just 'in' :-)

#197538 - 05/25/17 05:07 PM Re: Down And In [Re: 82Boat69]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 71/m/IL
Boat,
If Joe had been more consistent, I might have gathered what you got out of what he said as he used the 7th board and 5th arrow in the same sentence.
I'm sorry that I'm a stickler.
So he stood on board 7 which places his ball right on board 1. Wow! Calling it close!
I used to stand on board 15 and roll it down board 5 when I first came back to this game with my first reactive ball. I didn't realize that there was no oil out there.
Today I often start by standing on board 25 and targeting board 9 or 10 at the arrows. I find that I struggle getting the ball out that far to the right.
If I stood on board 7 or 8 like Joe, my ball would be hitting the 7 pin or dropping into the left channel. smile

#197539 - 05/25/17 05:32 PM Re: Down And In [Re: djp1080]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

Actually, I use 11 boards from the middle of my stance to my right shoulder. If he was standing 7 with is left foot, his right shoulder would be 4 boards right of 1. That's why I mentioned lofting the gutter as a kid. This person is probably doing the same sort of thing. The angle off the corner might be giving him just what he needs to carry better.

#197540 - 05/25/17 06:09 PM Re: Down And In [Re: W9JAB]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

Quote:
He said 5th arrow but I'm sure he meant 5th board.

yes 5th board or 1st arrow, sorry. (see what happens when ya get old)
But as I was saying if I keep it somewhat straight and not too fast it will go down to the dry and walk nicely into the pocket,for a deck clearing strike.
Get a little too frisky and it's in the gutter.

#197541 - 05/25/17 06:12 PM Re: Down And In [Re: 82Boat69]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/New Jersey
I use 10 from the middle to my shoulder, from experience it seems to be what is right for me. Since I've finally worked out my timing and increased my ball speed, I can stand at 16 targeting at 6 with my Critical Mass. I'm having fun playing that line, the ball is hitting like a ton of bricks and carrying well. I know it might not last long in league, I've only had the chance to try that shot in practice. The good part is that I haven't sunk one in the gutter yet, and I was a little worried since it had been a long time since I played a line like that.

Mark

#197542 - 05/25/17 06:17 PM Re: Down And In [Re: W9JAB]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
No shadow practice allowed? WTF??!! livid

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs C300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs C300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Brunswick BTU Pearl
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 1 minute 37 seconds ago
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.