BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197401 - 05/03/17 12:24 AM Re: Motiv Tank Rampage Urethane [Re: mmalsed]
nord Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/Santee/CA
Originally Posted By: mmalsed
It's not a new thing, 82. I've been talking about it for well over a decade. We spoke about it with "Maximum Bob", back in the day. It's most definitely NOT a new thing.

It's become more in your face with MORE crankers coming out, and with reactives pulling more oil off the lanes than urethanes did.

And I know people who DID mess up other peoples' shots, even back "in the day" (and I'm not talking about the 80s, I'm talking about the late 90s and 00s) - my old coach would do that to me, deliberately, and even telling me what he was doing and then challenging me to counter his move. With urethane, he would work to cross my line twice which would push the oil around, and it would force me (after a few frames) to move my line. During "practice/lessons" he would do it to force me outside of my comfort zone. During GAMES. . . well he'd do it to win. smile

Wow, sneaky. How can I learn to do that with urethane? Lol.
Parkway House Avg. 180

Arsenal:
Hammer Dark Legend Solid
Visionary Midnight Scorcher
Billy Hardwick Rubber Ball
The Crow Urethane

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#197404 - 05/03/17 07:33 AM Re: Motiv Tank Rampage Urethane [Re: nord]
82Boat69 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 69/M/California
I think the real impact may be in the eye of the beholder.

Just as there are many who believe weight blocks make more than a 15% difference in a ball's motion, I'm sure there are people out there who think they can control the track, or are being controlled by the track, on any given day.

I'm not saying I'm right, I've just been around a long time and I never even think about it. I never try it and I never worry about it. Maybe the real impact is only psychosomatic :-)

I simply adjust to what I'm finding. I'm not finding I need to adjust differently for any specific bowler or any specific team.

Here's 55 years worth; On any given delivery, based on our age, we will make a perfect delivery or a less than perfect delivery. When we're young, we can pull some of the imperfect shots back together before we release. As we age, that ability diminishes.

When we're young we can feel slight imperfections we won't feel as we get older. So, when we throw a poor shot, is it the lane condition or our own physical limitations?

I think if a bowler 'thinks' it's the lanes, or 'thinks' it's another bowler, or 'thinks' it's their own game, they're probably right.

In reality, how different is one lane from the next? One persons ability to change the track than another's? One teams ability versus another's? 5%, 10%, more?

If we 'think' something it will be what we think. It's why when we watch a magician, we never see the trick :-)

Because I think my delivery holds the secret to each shot and each pair of lanes, I don't need to adjust for something that's not there. I'm not saying I'm right, but if others want to go off chasing a phantom and adjusting for it, I'll let them.
15 lb Columbia Blue Dot: 1979 Version

310 RPM'a @ 16 MPH

#197422 - 05/06/17 11:36 PM Re: Motiv Tank Rampage Urethane [Re: 82Boat69]
nord Offline
Touring Pro Contender

Originally Posted By: 82Boat69
...I think my delivery holds the secret to each shot and each pair of lanes...

This I believe in wholeheartedly, especially at my lower level of play.
When the lane is nice and my ball is reading the lane perfectly, if I throw it perfectly, then the precision of my release is the only barrier to a high score.
I know when I release less than well, and since I mostly use rubber on the drier lanes of Poway and urethane on normal volume house shots, the precision of my release is paramount to striking.
There is no margin for error, no free hook zone like you get with reactive. I must be perfect all the time. Same speed, same rotation, same target line.

But I do also know there are times when you are perfect but have the wrong ball in your hand.
You have to know when to put that ball back in the bag. If you make two, or at most three, flawless shots and you don't strike, put that ball away!

I know my average is held down on normal volume house shots because I don't use reactive.
I use urethane because I enjoy it.
But I guess I have to get over my stubbornness and use my reactive gear this season and see how I do.
Parkway House Avg. 180

Arsenal:
Hammer Dark Legend Solid
The Crow Urethane

#197432 - 05/08/17 11:42 AM Re: Motiv Tank Rampage Urethane [Re: nord]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Originally Posted By: nord

But I do also know there are times when you are perfect but have the wrong ball in your hand.
You have to know when to put that ball back in the bag. If you make two, or at most three, flawless shots and you don't strike, put that ball away!

Or figure out why your adjustment was wrong even though you're delivering the ball right. LOL - did that last night. DOH - making the "right" shot from the "wrong" adjustment.

Sorry - not trying to take anything away from what you said, Nord. Agree with you, I do. smile

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#197433 - 05/08/17 01:50 PM Re: Motiv Tank Rampage Urethane [Re: nord]
Jazlar Von Steich Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 42/M/Windsor, Ontario, Canada
If used on the right conditions, you should still have margin for error with urethane - just not as much as with resin. If you have none, you should put it away or find a new line.

There are guys around here who throw mostly urethane and still carry 210+ averages. They aren't exactly perfect, or close to it, on every shot.

#197494 - 05/15/17 12:28 PM Re: Motiv Tank Rampage Urethane [Re: nord]
nord Offline
Touring Pro Contender

Just saw E.J. use that Rampage again. Dang that ball looks strong! It really rolls heavy. He just wings it at the pocket and that thing stands up and goes through. Of course it is helpful that he has 500 plus RPMs!
Parkway House Avg. 180

Arsenal:
Hammer Dark Legend Solid
The Crow Urethane

#197498 - 05/15/17 03:10 PM Re: Motiv Tank Rampage Urethane [Re: nord]
goobee Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
When I bowl with a urethane ball, my goal is to control over/under. Ideally, a 5 boards tail is all I want and accuracy is the key. Straight and direct, with zero expectations of "safety" zones which I get from my reactive equipment.

I only wipes. the oil away from the finger and thumb holes to keep the feel consistent. Given my slower ball speed, the thought is the oil left on the track will help my ball get past the heads more easily.

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Blend10 OSW
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#197499 - 05/15/17 04:13 PM Re: Motiv Tank Rampage Urethane [Re: goobee]
nord Offline
Touring Pro Contender

Originally Posted By: goobee
When I bowl with a urethane ball, my goal is to control over/under. Ideally, a 5 boards tail is all I want and accuracy is the key. Straight and direct, with zero expectations of "safety" zones which I get from my reactive equipment.

I only wipe. the oil away from the finger and thumb holes to keep the feel consistent. Given my slower ball speed, the thought is the oil left on the track will help my ball get past the heads more easily.

Interesting. I always wipes the ball so it doesn't lose its reaction except when I throw at the ten pin, then I leave the oil on so it skids longer.
But I have seen players leave the oil on like Francois Lavoie. But Jesper wipes the heck out of his urethane ball every time. He keeps that thing dry.
Parkway House Avg. 180

Arsenal:
Hammer Dark Legend Solid
The Crow Urethane

#197622 - 06/06/17 05:37 PM Re: Motiv Tank Rampage Urethane [Re: nord]
nord Offline
Touring Pro Contender

Lane Side Reviews just did a great review on the Motiv Rampage.
Check it out here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv1YXbSl90Y&t=1s

They also did a review on an old school urethane ball that I have never heard of. The Brunswick Grizz (Grizzly Bear!)
From what they are saying and in the video, even on a modern house shot, this ball is ultra strong and early!
I went on ebay and found one and bought it for $48.
When I get it I will try to do a video showing how it responds with my game.

Here is the Lane Side review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8LexxNl_z0&t=384s
Parkway House Avg. 180

Arsenal:
Hammer Dark Legend Solid
The Crow Urethane

#197629 - 06/07/17 02:26 PM Re: Motiv Tank Rampage Urethane [Re: nord]
goobee Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
$48? That is heck of a steal.

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Blend10 OSW
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh BOY!!!
by BowlerBill - Yesterday at 09:13 PM
Sign-up open for fall V-league (closes 8/20)
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 06:51 PM
New Ball
by 6_ball_man - 07/19/17 12:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2017 thread
by Dennis Michael - 07/19/17 05:33 AM
2017 World Championships (Men & Women)
by Richie V. - 07/18/17 08:51 PM
2017 USBC Open Championships
by Richie V. - 07/18/17 05:03 PM
Code Red
by djp1080 - 07/18/17 12:32 PM
2017 National sport adjusted average rule
by mmalsed - 07/18/17 11:48 AM
USBC grants certificate 11925 to unusual tournamen
by rrb6699 (RayRay) - 07/17/17 11:13 PM
Loving the sport patterns
by wronghander - 07/17/17 10:41 PM
Any advice would be appreciated!
by iconz116 - 07/17/17 02:26 PM
Stuart Williams Hy-Road Live
by BOSStull - 07/16/17 10:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.