BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198062 - 08/25/17 06:27 PM Re: Reactive Balls are designed to be throw hard! [Re: nord]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Had our Monday nite meeting 2 weeks ago. Made a motion to start early cause we face Labor day, Christmas and New years this year. It was voted down. They would rather shorten the league by 3 weeks.

Haven't even started and the concern was when do we finish.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#198063 - 08/26/17 03:14 AM Re: Reactive Balls are designed to be throw hard! [Re: 82Boat69]
nord Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/Santee/CA
Originally Posted By: 82Boat69
I bowl in a senior scratch league and every year at the league meeting I make a motion we have a urethane/plastic week once each month. No takers. I then make a motion to shoot a sport-shot once each month. Again, no takers.
Egos die hard :-)

Lol! Sad...

Arsenal
Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Visionary The Crow Urethane
Visionary The Judge Urethane
Brunswick Grizz Urethane

#198064 - 08/26/17 03:20 AM Re: Reactive Balls are designed to be throw hard! [Re: Dennis Michael]
nord Offline

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
Had our Monday nite meeting 2 weeks ago. Made a motion to start early cause we face Labor day, Christmas and New years this year. It was voted down. They would rather shorten the league by 3 weeks.

Haven't even started and the concern was when do we finish.

Also sad...

Arsenal
Brunswick Grizz Urethane

#198068 - 08/26/17 08:41 AM Re: Reactive Balls are designed to be throw hard! [Re: nord]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

I'm so unhappy in this house. Lane machine breakdowns. Bad personnel. Not a bowler friendly atmosphere. Candy, popcorn and other stuff on the lane.

They cater to parties rather then bowlers. I asked the desk to turn the volume down on speakers playing very loud music. I was told, the kids liked the music loud. I responded with, so you would rather cater to a once a year kid then a 4-5 time a week bowler?

Then I got a phone call from a teammate. Asking if I would consider moving to another house. Since, it is a house I already bowl on thursday, I jumped at the chance for Monday as well. He told me all 5 team members now agree to move.

That surprised me. I'm new, but this team bowled together for over 8 years in this house. Very surprised they would consider moving. So, instead of waiting til Sept 11 to start, we start this Monday, Aug 28. Woohoo. And, 35 weeks instead of 32.

The kicker was, the old house raised the lineage fees to $12.65 per night, while the new house gave the league a 2 year contract for $9.25. The same fee per nite of $25. But, an extra $3.40 per nite in the prize fund per person.

And, the league pays out twice a year based on team points. Once at first half end before Christmas, and the second time at season end, plus rolloff prize money.

Oh, and other perks. The House pays sanction fees foe all bowlers. Free give aways weekly for appetizer trays. Drink tickets for holidays. Pizza if all strikes in 5th frame and $1 coupon for all strikes in any other frame. They hold brackets, and other pots weekly. Survivor and strike pots.

Oh, I didn't know, but the beer is 1/3 less. $3 per bottle for bucket of 5. Unfortunately, my Coke is more as it's in another County with a Soda tax on sugar.

#198070 - 08/26/17 09:30 AM Re: Reactive Balls are designed to be throw hard! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Mkirchie Offline

A/S/L: 37/M/New Jersey
It really seems to me that leagues do not like change. We had our league meeting yesterday. We're a 5 person league that has lost a lot of teams over the last few years, I believe I have mentioned this before. We've tried a few times to change to a 4 person team and it gets voted down. At the end of last season, I tried to present some alternate scoring systems such as match play, peterson points, or a system based on total team scores along with head to head team matchups. My goal was to try to offer something different that might attract new interest in the league and give teams a way to earn points other than just beating the other team on their pair. There was very little interest in change. It's no big deal personally to me, however I should have known based on past history. I'm sure the interest in the type of tournament that nord described at my center would be very low. I would want to do it, however I'd have to obtain a ball to use.

Dennnis, if you don't mind me asking, in your 5 person leagues how long does it generally take to bowl all 3 games? The main complaint about our league is that it takes too long. Now, it is not a money league but there is a decent chunk of 200+ average bowlers. I understand that people want to socialize, I will too. However, I don't forget where I am and why I am there while others seem to get very lost. Last season we started at 6:30 and generally got done past 9:30. I think there were a few times I was close to leaving the center at 10:00. It's a Friday night league and the center was getting annoyed because there would be a wait for open bowling.

Mark

#198072 - 08/27/17 01:34 AM Re: Reactive Balls are designed to be throw hard! [Re: Mkirchie]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Mark, it generally takes 3 hours, give or take a few mins. Start at 7 and I'm home by 10:30 - 10:45. Half hour drive.

The odd thing is... all privately owned centers around here run 5 man teams in leagues. With the exception of the Brunswick house, which runs 4 man teams.
I've bowled at the 3 other private houses in 5 man teams leagues.

And, the Brunswick house league starts at 6:30, when the others start at 7.

A 5 man team league really packs the house in those older 20 lane centers. There just isn't any room to walk.

#198075 - 08/27/17 08:25 AM Re: Reactive Balls are designed to be throw hard! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Mkirchie Offline

The odd thing is... all privately owned centers around here run 5 man teams in leagues. With the exception of the Brunswick house, which runs 4 man teams.
I've bowled at the 3 other private houses in 5 man teams leagues.

That's interesting to me. We're the last 5 person league in our privately owned center and one of only a few (6 5 person leagues across 8 centers) in our whole association of all privately owned centers. Very few people want to bowl in them anymore around here.

Mark

#198077 - 08/27/17 05:15 PM Re: Reactive Balls are designed to be throw hard! [Re: nord]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

hmmm, the 5-man team leagues are the largest ones in any house.
All 20 lanes in House 1. Starts 6:30.
All 20 lanes in House 2. Starts at 7.
And, 24 lanes of 40 in House 3 on Monday. With 26 lanes used on thurs. I bowl in this house on Monday, and Thurs in an adjoining 3-man league of 14 teams. The 3-man league starts at 8, but ends by 10:30 also.

Starts tomorrow.

Edited by Dennis Michael (08/27/17 05:30 PM)

#198078 - 08/27/17 10:09 PM Re: Reactive Balls are designed to be throw hard! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Mkirchie Offline

Wow, and we're struggling to fill 12 teams for a league in a center with 32 lanes.

Mark

#198079 - 08/27/17 11:06 PM Re: Reactive Balls are designed to be throw hard! [Re: Dennis Michael]
nord Offline

I'm so unhappy in this house. Lane machine breakdowns. Bad personnel. Not a bowler friendly atmosphere. Candy, popcorn and other stuff on the lane.

They cater to parties rather then bowlers. I asked the desk to turn the volume down on speakers playing very loud music. I was told, the kids liked the music loud. I responded with, so you would rather cater to a once a year kid then a 4-5 time a week bowler?

Then I got a phone call from a teammate. Asking if I would consider moving to another house. Since, it is a house I already bowl on thursday, I jumped at the chance for Monday as well. He told me all 5 team members now agree to move.

That surprised me. I'm new, but this team bowled together for over 8 years in this house. Very surprised they would consider moving. So, instead of waiting til Sept 11 to start, we start this Monday, Aug 28. Woohoo. And, 35 weeks instead of 32.

The kicker was, the old house raised the lineage fees to $12.65 per night, while the new house gave the league a 2 year contract for $9.25. The same fee per nite of $25. But, an extra $3.40 per nite in the prize fund per person.

And, the league pays out twice a year based on team points. Once at first half end before Christmas, and the second time at season end, plus rolloff prize money.

Oh, and other perks. The House pays sanction fees foe all bowlers. Free give aways weekly for appetizer trays. Drink tickets for holidays. Pizza if all strikes in 5th frame and $1 coupon for all strikes in any other frame. They hold brackets, and other pots weekly. Survivor and strike pots.

Oh, I didn't know, but the beer is 1/3 less. $3 per bottle for bucket of 5. Unfortunately, my Coke is more as it's in another County with a Soda tax on sugar.

Wow, your new house has a ton of perks. Very nice!
At Parkway I bowl doubles and at Kearny it is 4 man teams.
When I bowled at Poway it was 3 man teams.
I can't imagine 5 man teams, it would take too long!

Kearny and their sister lanes Mira Mesa put on a lot of great tournaments.
This september 17th is a tournament with right lane using Cheetah and left lane Scorpion!
For me I think it would be the Scorcher for the Scorpion and the Grizz for the Cheetah.

Bowling needs to gain its respect back like it had in the old days.
I think that begins at the league level.
But if the houses don't care, then people in league are not educated and never learn to respect the game.

Arsenal
Brunswick Grizz Urethane

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Hammer "Black Widow Urethane"
by nord - Yesterday at 12:35 AM
Honor scores 2017-18
by wronghander - 11/21/17 11:58 PM
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - 11/19/17 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - 11/19/17 10:04 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 12:09 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.