BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197347 - 04/27/17 08:38 PM Knee Pain?
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 55/m/Ca
I've started to experience some pain in both my knees after I bowl. I'm a right handed bowling. The right knee hurts more than the left.

Can anyone provide some advice as the best course of action I should take? See a doctor (I don't think it's bad enough for that but since I have my annual physical on Monday I'm going to bring it up) or take some time off?

Thanks

HS 805 (250, 300, 255) (non-sanctioned)
746 (267, 257, 222) (sanctioned)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#197348 - 04/28/17 02:52 AM Re: Knee Pain? [Re: BowlerBill]
82Boat69 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 69/M/California
Height? Weight? Current physical activities other than bowling?

Ever run long distance? Run or walk now?

Former sports? Former injuries?

You're probably experiencing mild 'runner's knees'. You don't need to be a runner to have issues.

It comes in 2 flavors. One is from swelling in the knee joint and the other comes from weak quads.

The back of your kneecap has subtle grooves that allow the knee joint to move smoothly. In case one, swelling causes more friction than normal which results in inflammation. In case two, weak quads fail to hold the kneecap in place during exercise and the result is the same.

Usually, icing your knees or taking an anti-inflammatory will cause the pain to go away. If you ice, use ice in a plastic bag applied directly to the knee(s) and leave for at least 20 minutes. Don't use towels. When you think you can't take the cold anymore, your knee will go numb and you could leave the ice on for an hour and it won't bother you.

A single ibuprofen may bring the same relief.

The main issue is the activity that's exacerbating the injury. If you don't stop the activity causing the problem, it may take along time to heal.

If the problem is caused by weak quads, you need to work your quad but not exacerbate the injury. Sitting on something where your lower legs hang freely, then doing a lower leg lift is the best. If you belong to a gym, they'll have a machine to do this.

Good luck!
15 lb Columbia Blue Dot: 1979 Version

310 RPM'a @ 16 MPH

#197349 - 04/28/17 05:37 AM Re: Knee Pain? [Re: BowlerBill]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Nice answer, 82.

My Ortho Dr found Meniscus tears that have been there, probably since High School, I'm sure. I do remember pain in knees back then. But, Ignored it. It recently (last 5 years) has been noticed again, to the point I had them taken care of.

Two arthroscopic operations later, and they are fine now. I do experience 82's point 1, occasionally, especially after extended use. My Dr recommended Aleve, because it is an anti-inflamatory, also.

I take 1, before every bowling night.

Also, if knee swelling is a problem, elevate the legs as often as you can, along with ice. Check for swelling behind your knee. Is the elastic of your socks making a depression in your leg? This could be another problem of fluid retention in your legs. Similar symptom. Pains in joints.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#197350 - 04/28/17 05:57 AM Re: Knee Pain? [Re: Dennis Michael]
82Boat69 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 69/M/California
I use to be a long distance runner. Owned a book titled 'The Runners Repair Manual'. I was lucky, over 20 years I only had one case of runner's knee brought about from running down hill :-)

My nagging injury was plantar fasciitis.

Old knee injuries come back to get us as we age. Tennis and golf can also create problems. Bowling usually aggravates a bowler's sliding knee. If both hurt, then I think runners knee is the issue. Diagnosing the cause is most important so the bowler can stop the activity causing the inflammation.

I'm almost 70. What I see around me in my senior leagues is nobody can bend their knees as much as they need. Everyone is too upright which causes a lot of stress on the knee during their slide.

If both knees hurt, it's probably something else causing the issue.
15 lb Columbia Blue Dot: 1979 Version

310 RPM'a @ 16 MPH

#197351 - 04/28/17 09:29 AM Re: Knee Pain? [Re: BowlerBill]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
Quote:
I've started to experience some pain in both my knees after I bowl. I'm a right handed bowling. The right knee hurts more than the left.

I have the same problem (also I'm three days older than dirt) even though I do not bend my knees when I bowl or slide I have knee pain afterwards.
I take a couple of ibuprofen/Aleve, before bowling and use elastic knee braces while bowling, also my doctor told me a long time ago the best thing for knee pain is "flat walking" especially for men.
So it's just something I live with.

#197356 - 04/28/17 04:30 PM Re: Knee Pain? [Re: 82Boat69]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: 82Boat69
Height? Weight? Current physical activities other than bowling?

Ever run long distance? Run or walk now?

Former sports? Former injuries?

You're probably experiencing mild 'runner's knees'. You don't need to be a runner to have issues.

It comes in 2 flavors. One is from swelling in the knee joint and the other comes from weak quads.

The back of your kneecap has subtle grooves that allow the knee joint to move smoothly. In case one, swelling causes more friction than normal which results in inflammation. In case two, weak quads fail to hold the kneecap in place during exercise and the result is the same.

Usually, icing your knees or taking an anti-inflammatory will cause the pain to go away. If you ice, use ice in a plastic bag applied directly to the knee(s) and leave for at least 20 minutes. Don't use towels. When you think you can't take the cold anymore, your knee will go numb and you could leave the ice on for an hour and it won't bother you.

A single ibuprofen may bring the same relief.

The main issue is the activity that's exacerbating the injury. If you don't stop the activity causing the problem, it may take along time to heal.

If the problem is caused by weak quads, you need to work your quad but not exacerbate the injury. Sitting on something where your lower legs hang freely, then doing a lower leg lift is the best. If you belong to a gym, they'll have a machine to do this.

Good luck!

I'm 58, 5-9 about 207, out of shape. I wasn't an athlete in high school, just attended PE. I don't have any former injuries. (I guess I'm lucky in that regards)

I used to work out during my 30's but got in a rear end accident and didn't go back. I believe regular exercise would be beneficial.

I had a bowling lesson with Mark Baker today. I mentioned it to him. I wasn't sure if it's related to bowling or not. He took a video and said the problem might be caused by the fact I don't kick my right leg to the left as I slide, as most bowlers do.

I practiced that technique for the rest of the lesson and now that I'm back home, I don't feel the pain.

Surprisingly, kicking the right leg to the left improved my release. He said my hand was behind the ball and lower than it had been in the past. It seems like I might have solved two issues with one correction.

Thanks for the tips and recommendation. I'll follow the icing recommendations.

#197357 - 04/28/17 04:36 PM Re: Knee Pain? [Re: Dennis Michael]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
Nice answer, 82.

My Ortho Dr found Meniscus tears that have been there, probably since High School, I'm sure. I do remember pain in knees back then. But, Ignored it. It recently (last 5 years) has been noticed again, to the point I had them taken care of.

Two arthroscopic operations later, and they are fine now. I do experience 82's point 1, occasionally, especially after extended use. My Dr recommended Aleve, because it is an anti-inflamatory, also.

I take 1, before every bowling night.

Also, if knee swelling is a problem, elevate the legs as often as you can, along with ice. Check for swelling behind your knee. Is the elastic of your socks making a depression in your leg? This could be another problem of fluid retention in your legs. Similar symptom. Pains in joints.

I didn't see any swelling or tenderness. I like the recommendation to take 1 Aleve before bowling. I've had several people tell me they do this. I wear athletic socks that are really short. I used to notice some swelling at the calf when I wore longer socks.

Thanks for the tips.

#197358 - 04/28/17 04:43 PM Re: Knee Pain? [Re: W9JAB]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: W9JAB
Quote:

I have the same problem (also I'm three days older than dirt) even though I do not bend my knees when I bowl or slide I have knee pain afterwards.
I take a couple of ibuprofen/Aleve, before bowling and use elastic knee braces while bowling, also my doctor told me a long time ago the best thing for knee pain is "flat walking" especially for men.
So it's just something I live with.

Yeah, we all have aches and pains we live with as a part of the aging process. I guess it's part of still being alive.

What is flat walking? (walking on level ground?)

#197375 - 04/30/17 12:59 PM Re: Knee Pain? [Re: BowlerBill]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
Quote:
What is flat walking? (walking on level ground?)

YES

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh BOY!!!
by BowlerBill - Yesterday at 09:13 PM
Sign-up open for fall V-league (closes 8/20)
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 06:51 PM
New Ball
by 6_ball_man - 07/19/17 12:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2017 thread
by Dennis Michael - 07/19/17 05:33 AM
2017 World Championships (Men & Women)
by Richie V. - 07/18/17 08:51 PM
2017 USBC Open Championships
by Richie V. - 07/18/17 05:03 PM
Code Red
by djp1080 - 07/18/17 12:32 PM
2017 National sport adjusted average rule
by mmalsed - 07/18/17 11:48 AM
USBC grants certificate 11925 to unusual tournamen
by rrb6699 (RayRay) - 07/17/17 11:13 PM
Loving the sport patterns
by wronghander - 07/17/17 10:41 PM
Any advice would be appreciated!
by iconz116 - 07/17/17 02:26 PM
Stuart Williams Hy-Road Live
by BOSStull - 07/16/17 10:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.