BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197200 - 04/12/17 12:14 PM Re: Urethane Ball Motion Explained? [Re: 82Boat69]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Originally Posted By: 82Boat69
Re-read my post. I'm saying just the opposite. Reactive resin will always outperform urethane.
I would never use urethane except if the lanes had broken down or I found myself on wood lanes with short oil.
A urethane ball on fresh oil is a waste of time.

If you watch his videos, his urethane is "performing" more aggressively than his reactive. . .

BUT if you look at the start of his rack-attack video, you can see that his urethane is MUCH more sanded than his rack-attack . . .

so, all things being equal - but they're not! LOL.

Would be much interesting to see them both at 500, same board, same pattern. smile

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#197265 - 04/18/17 08:41 PM Re: Urethane Ball Motion Explained? [Re: mmalsed]
nord Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/Santee/CA
Yes, in the videos, the Rack Attack is at stock 500/4000 with a low flare layout.
The Karma is at 500 grit with a high flare layout.
On these lanes, that day, the Karma was way stronger. Too strong, and rolled out and had no power.
The Rack went way long and had good power.

The point of the videos was not to compare the performance of those two balls per say, but to point out the difference in ball reaction characteristics.

Urethane is early and reactive is late.

Now at Parkway bowl I have the idential high flare layout on my Hammer Dark Legend Solid and my Crow urethane and both balls are at 1000 grit.

On the fresh the Dark Legend will have difficulty reading the lane where the Crow will read it well. After one game with the Crow I can go to the Dark Legend and it will work fine.

Or, I can simply stay with my Crow urethane and slowly move right as the set goes on to maintain the reaction as the urethane ball gets more oil soaked and loses reaction.

Basically with urethane I do the reverse from reactive.
With reactive, as the ball breaks the lanes down we tend to move in with our feet and target.

But with urethane I move right with feet and target. This is because the ball gets more slippery from the oil despite wiping it off. As I move right eventually I hit an equilibrium point and I no longer need to move and can just stay put for the rest of the set.

So on the fresh I will throw my Dark Legend right up second arrow and it will not even move, but if I throw my dry Crow up second arrow it might go Brooklyn! The ball is fully dry and the first throw is always far too strong!

But as the Crow get wetter and wetter it loses that strong reaction it had when it was dry and now I have to move right into the dry to keep the reaction going.

Edited by nord (04/18/17 08:43 PM)

Arsenal
Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Visionary The Crow Urethane
Visionary The Judge Urethane
Brunswick Grizz Urethane

#197266 - 04/18/17 09:03 PM Re: Urethane Ball Motion Explained? [Re: nord]
nord Offline

One slight point on the videos.
The target path that both balls, the Rack and the Karma followed were very close to each other.
I have attached screen caps to illustrate.

Rack going up 7.5 board and Karma going up 7, maybe 7.25 board.

Attachments
Rack on 7.5.png

Karma 7.png

Arsenal
Brunswick Grizz Urethane

#197271 - 04/19/17 11:34 AM Re: Urethane Ball Motion Explained? [Re: nord]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Problem is that you have two different surfaces on the two balls - and two different layouts.

Thus, we're not really comparing urethane to reactive, we're (this time) comparing 500 vs. 500/4000

I'm not sure which delivery I was comparing - the one I looked at seemed to be at least a board outside - and not just at one POINT, but rather at delivery and then continuing.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#197274 - 04/19/17 11:52 AM Re: Urethane Ball Motion Explained? [Re: mmalsed]
82Boat69 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 69/M/California
Have you ever come across a site that describes Jesper Svensson's layout? He seems to have urethane figured out. I've never seen him throw reactive yet.
15 lb Columbia Blue Dot: Circa 1979

325 RPM'a @ 16 MPH

#197275 - 04/19/17 01:01 PM Re: Urethane Ball Motion Explained? [Re: mmalsed]
nord Offline

Originally Posted By: mmalsed
Problem is that you have two different surfaces on the two balls - and two different layouts.

Thus, we're not really comparing urethane to reactive, we're (this time) comparing 500 vs. 500/4000

I'm not sure which delivery I was comparing - the one I looked at seemed to be at least a board outside - and not just at one POINT, but rather at delivery and then continuing.

I understand.

Again, I was just using these two videos as extreme examples to illustrate the difference in how a reactive and a urethane read the lane.

Urethane hooks early and rolls long and reactive hooks late and rolls short and sudden.

By increasing the grit on urethane the skid phase can be lengthened but it will always hook early and roll longer than reactive.

You can see that here in this video on the same lanes after I took my Karma up to 2000 grit.
Now the ball gets more length but still rolls pretty early.
Towards the end of the video you will see the oil guy start to oil the lane.
Now look at how long the Karma goes on the fresh after he oiled it.
It is more like a reactive ball, being very long and late, but without the sudden back end reaction that reactive provides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T40TnHpvzbQ

Arsenal
Brunswick Grizz Urethane

#197295 - 04/21/17 09:53 AM Re: Urethane Ball Motion Explained? [Re: mmalsed]
82Boat69 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 69/M/California
I agree. Axis rotation with urethane is always problematic unless you can generate really high RPM's. Forty years ago, with oil everywhere, even those with 250 RPM's would still have some rotation left at the pins.

Today, 250 RPM's at 38 feet, will straighten out and deflect. A person needs almost twice as many RPM's to maintain axis rotation down lane. It's why you only see 2-handers and Tackett doing it.

If the pattern will allow, urethane pointed up right off the corner isn't too bad, but any fluctuation in speed leaves a corner or chops through the face leaving ugly splits.

As I age and speed/RPM's drops, the writing's on the wall. I can only hope for a tech breakthrough that allows a ball to wind-up without any speed :-)
15 lb Columbia Blue Dot: Circa 1979

325 RPM'a @ 16 MPH

#197953 - 08/03/17 02:49 PM Re: Urethane Ball Motion Explained? [Re: 82Boat69]
2lefthands Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Old/Man/Bowl
Originally Posted By: 82Boat69
"What makes reactive resin reactive is its ability to skid through oil. Urethane has less ability to skid"

Other than 'personal' anecdotal evidence, do you have any other sources to support your contention? I've never read anywhere that urethane 'doesn't' skid in oil and reactive resin 'does'.

If I have it backwards, I'd sure like to read what it says. Thanks.

This is from Joe Slowinski -

Coverstock Basics

Reactive Resin bowling balls skid more in oil and have a large amount of hook potential when making contact with the friction on the backends of the lane. So, the ball tends to skid and snap. The cover is also tacky. In the 1990s, manufacturers added resin to urethane material leading to a more porous, tacky and higher friction bowling ball that also hydroplaned in the oil. Since these bowling balls skid in oil, they store more energy and lead to higher scores due to the reaction when the ball hooks abruptly and hits the pins.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - Today at 05:25 PM
Possible Olympic Events?
by 82Boat69 - Today at 04:08 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by wronghander - Yesterday at 10:42 PM
approved ball cleaners
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 03:20 AM
wanted a 1 ball roller bowling bag
by Richie V. - 10/20/17 06:16 PM
trouble sliding
by Rand - 10/20/17 01:30 AM
HY ROAD NANO
by djp1080 - 10/19/17 07:05 PM
Starting dots/boards?
by djp1080 - 10/19/17 01:42 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 10/18/17 10:06 PM
2017 World Championships (Men & Women)
by Richie V. - 10/13/17 04:43 AM
Finger Swelling
by Dennis Michael - 10/12/17 06:44 AM
People who talk [email protected]#$
by goobee - 10/11/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.