BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197050 - 03/25/17 04:24 PM Re: 2017 USBC Open Championships [Re: champ]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x3

A/S/L: 50/M/Brockton, MA
http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622328821

A group of current and former collegiate players rewrote the Regular Doubles standings yesterday, led by Midland teammates Nick Pate (Inner Grove Heights, MN) & Casey Maxted (Gillette, WY), who took the event lead with a 760-576=1,336 total.

On the same pair, a 7-10 stopped former Junior Team USA member Kyle Sherman (O'Fallon, MO) from posting the first 300 game of the tournament after posting the first 300 of the Bowlers Journal Championships earlier in the week.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 173 HS: 615 HG: 244
Sunday Niters - Avg: 176 HS: 638 HG: 248
Composite Avg: 174

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#197053 - 03/25/17 05:17 PM Re: 2017 USBC Open Championships [Re: champ]
goobee Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
I had a break out day of sorts shooting 257 in league today. It means a lot to me because I've been slumping so long. I'm feeling good, my timing was better and my accuracy was steady all day. I hit the pocket more often than missing (carry was a bit challenging though) and got to practice playing 10 board straight up.

Today bolstered my confidence going into Nationals next weekend. Now whether or not this makes a difference, we shall see. grin

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs Columbia 300 Antics
15lbs Brunswick Mastermind Einstein

Secondary

15lbs Blend10 OSW
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#197054 - 03/26/17 11:58 AM Re: 2017 USBC Open Championships [Re: champ]
champ Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 29/M/AZ
Scores are going up in minor events. Earlier in the week there was a 299/827 and a 300 shot in the Bowlers Jounal on the D/S pattern. The gentleman who shot the 300 also went on to shoot a 298 in Doubles (with a pocket 7-10 on the last ball) in the tournament proper.

And yesterday, Matt Gasn took the lead in singles with an 802. Some years we might think a win is already in the books, but I think the scores are getting to be too good on the D/S pattern now that good bowlers are starting to flock in. The question is the team pattern...it still looks pretty challenging.

Let the score speculation begin.

Team 3340
Doubles 1420
Singles 826
All-Events 2180
Team All-Events 10,100

#197061 - 03/26/17 05:30 PM Re: 2017 USBC Open Championships [Re: champ]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 61/M/Burlington VT
Well the big boys are coming in now, and they've all met with other teams, scouted out the lanes, formulated their plans.

Of course it helps when nobody cares how long you take, everyone's gone but your team. The favoritism at the Open will never change.

Edited by SteveH (03/26/17 05:31 PM)

High League game: 279
High League Series: 672
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Storm Crux
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#197062 - 03/26/17 05:35 PM Re: 2017 USBC Open Championships [Re: champ]
SteveH Offline

Did you see last night how the USBC video treated Jackie, Matt's girlfriend? The one that beat him in doubles? When she bowled, the video went up to the scores, not her bowling.

How elitist of them

Storm Crux
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#197063 - 03/26/17 05:56 PM Re: 2017 USBC Open Championships [Re: champ]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
I'm bowling May 27th and 28th. Right now, I have available to take:

Storm IQ Fusion
Story Hy-Road
Storm Phaze
Storm Tropical Heat Hybrid
Storm Tropical Heat Solid
Storm Pitch Blue
Radical Guru

Fusion, Phaze, and Pitch Blue are the only locks to go. I am looking to buy a ball or 2 before I head out. Probably a Code Black. The Dare Devil Trick looks awesome. The Sure Lock is on my list as well.

#197067 - 03/26/17 11:22 PM Re: 2017 USBC Open Championships [Re: SteveH]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/Mass
Originally Posted By: SteveH
Well the big boys are coming in now, and they've all met with other teams, scouted out the lanes, formulated their plans.

Of course it helps when nobody cares how long you take, everyone's gone but your team. The favoritism at the Open will never change.

I've been thinking about this and what the USBC could do to make it a fairer tournament for all bowlers involved with respect to the patterns and here's my idea:

Have 3 or 4 different shots for the team event and singles/doubles. As is the case this year, the pattern graphs are not released until after the tournament. Before each squad a random draw takes place in secret and that's what gets put down for that session. So if you go the day before and watch other bowlers and try to see what their ball reaction is and how they're playing the lanes; the shot may be different for your group when it's your turn to bowl. Same deal for early groups passing along info to groups that are going later.

The only drawback I see to this is that bowlers won't have a chance to go to the showcase lanes and practice on the exact shot they'll be bowling on. They'll get one of the patterns and it will still serve a purpose to bowlers who rarely or never otherwise bowl on sport shots since it will give them a little more of an idea of what to expect.

But this way the live streams can continue and it would still be the same idea of "be prepared for something in the range of 38-42'" but with the top tier teams having to go in with imperfect information like the rest of us.

Currently throwing: 15# DV8 Grudge, Hammer Arson High Flare Solid, Brunswick Brute Strength, Ebonite Cyclone

#197068 - 03/27/17 12:20 AM Re: 2017 USBC Open Championships [Re: SteveH]
champ Offline
Legend

And really, should they? This is a national championship. Its the biggest tournament in bowling. Winning is a big deal. Even if Gasn's 802 doesn't win, that's only the 127th 800 ever bowled in the tournament. Do they really need to rush the guy so the next squad doesn't start 15 minutes late?

#197069 - 03/27/17 06:44 AM Re: 2017 USBC Open Championships [Re: champ]
SteveH Offline

Originally Posted By: champ

And really, should they? This is a national championship. Its the biggest tournament in bowling. Winning is a big deal. Even if Gasn's 802 doesn't win, that's only the 127th 800 ever bowled in the tournament. Do they really need to rush the guy so the next squad doesn't start 15 minutes late?

You tell me. The USBC uses the word FAIR more than anyone. But politics is always job number one. Do they really need to rush the donors that score lower? Tell them to wait until summer to be able to receive a DVD, while their favorite groups can have a 10-minute video posted online by the USBC itself?

Yes, they should enforce the rules for everyone as equally as possible. Remember, the ED is the guy that's all about the masses, the majority, the fairness and the quality. So he stated.

Storm Crux
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#197070 - 03/27/17 10:16 AM Re: 2017 USBC Open Championships [Re: champ]
champ Offline
Legend

I'm not interested in politics. I'm interested in bowling. I don't care who the executive director is, what his policies are, yada, yada, yada.

I care that this tournament is about the most prestigious thing you can win in bowling. As long as that's protected, I'm happy.

I agree, the no video policy is a bad one. I've been very vocal about that from the day it was announced. Showing a clip of people bowling 300s/800s/taking leads, isn't about favoring elitism over the little guy. Its about sharing and showcasing excellence (which the USBC said they'd be doing from the beginning.)

If I were in charge, I would't have so many weeks in late February/early March filled with squads of 5-10 teams. Shorten the length of the tournament, fill each squad to capacity, and put more buffer room between squads. To me, waiting 20-30 minutes for my squad isn't a big deal at all, but some of the guys I hear whining about it must really want to bowl, get home, and get back to work ASAP. So to quiet the whiners, I'd make some more buffer time in between squads.

And with that, there will be no question about taking your time, slowing down, and enjoying the moment, whether your bowling for a lead or a last place finish.

And while I'm not in charge, and I can't change the schedule, I can encourage everyone to take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy the history and majesty of this tournament. Its ok to wait 20 minutes for the slow team in front of your team. You'll be alright. It won't ruin your experience. And if you'd stop worrying about the politics of USBC, you'd enjoy your experience a whole lot more too.

I leave in three weeks. Can't wait.

Bowl well.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Okay - have to figure out how to deal with
by 82Boat69 - 12:29 AM
Winter '17 Week 15 VL results, final standings
by Richie V. - 11:48 PM
Motiv Tank Rampage Urethane
by nord - 05:55 PM
PRODIGY BOWLERS TOUR -- 04-22-2017 "Single Ball"
by Brownswick - 11:23 AM
This is worth 1:13 of your time
by W9JAB - 09:44 AM
15lb hammer limited
by W9JAB - 08:39 AM
Winter '17 VL announcements & discussion
by mmalsed - 01:39 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread
by Richie V. - 04/23/17 09:17 PM
2017 USBC Open Championships
by SteveH - 04/22/17 07:53 PM
Urethane Ball Motion Explained?
by 82Boat69 - 04/21/17 09:53 AM
What Makes A Bowling Ball Skid?
by W9JAB - 04/18/17 03:01 PM
PRODIGY BOWLERS TOUR -- 04-15-2017 "ROAD TRIP!"
by Brownswick - 04/18/17 01:54 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.