BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162411 - 02/08/12 05:33 PM How To Build Your Own Targeting Tool. *****
slaterracing Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 36/M/Adel, Iowa, USA
OK so after seeing this on ebay i wanted to make one of my own. Here is how I did it.

I started with 1/2 inch PVC pipe (i sent super cheap so if you wanted it a little more heavy duty go with 1 inch). I purchased 2 90 degree elbows, 2 "T" fittings and 1 10 foot section of the PVC pipe.

Cut down pipe to 1 47 inch section, 2 16 inch sections and 4 10 inch sections. That will use all but about 1 inch of the pipe that you can just toss in the trash.

Take the 90 degree elbows and attach them to both sides of the 47 inch pipe.

Then attach the 16 inch sections for pipe to the opp side of the 90 degree elbows so that bowth are facing down in the same direction.

Attach the middle of the "T" fitting the other other end of each one of the 16 inch pipes.

Last step is the attach the 4 10 inch sections to the 2 openings on the "T" fittings to make the feet.

Now all you need to do is get some string, rope, rag or what ever will work for you so you can see it at the lanes. I am using some neon orange string that construction workers use to rope off for laying concrete. Making the loop in it large enough to be able to move it around to target either side as i am a righty and my son is a lefty. Hope this helps some people if they want to make it for themselves. This one cost me $5.19 including tax. So in my opinion well worth the money.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#162545 - 02/10/12 02:50 PM Re: How To Build Your Own Targeting Tool. [Re: slaterracing]
Saint David Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 20/M/NJ
A few years ago, my coach at the time used almost the exact same thing. He called it a tent. only his was more like one of those collapsible tents (that you see at fairs) and it's purpose was the same, to get lower to the ground and focus on where the ball should go.

You've actually just made me to think that I need to take a trip to the home improvement store, (and who doesn't enjoy that)

Thanx and good luck.

#15 Hammer Emerald Vibe
#15 Brunswick Skull Plastic

High Game: 205
High Series: 462 (151-180-131)
Current Average: 130

#162546 - 02/10/12 02:58 PM Re: How To Build Your Own Targeting Tool. [Re: slaterracing]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Slater,

One thing you might consider is putting two of the loops of string on the target tool that way one could hang on the left for you son and one on the right for you. That way both can practice at the same time without having to move the target line.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#162549 - 02/10/12 03:02 PM Re: How To Build Your Own Targeting Tool. [Re: slaterracing]
slaterracing Offline

Yep did that but i put 4 2 for right side and 2 for left. Was thinking about setting it up so hit string as well as go between 2 sets if i wanted to. Next time i take him out i will shoot a pic of it all done and on the lane.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#162553 - 02/10/12 04:11 PM Re: How To Build Your Own Targeting Tool. [Re: slaterracing]
Doogie Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/Lincoln, NE
I was debating using 1/4 to 1/2 inch zip ties for the target markers on mine. I think it would give and audible signal as well when you missed. I haven't tried it yet though.
Storm: Supernatural

#162554 - 02/10/12 04:12 PM Re: How To Build Your Own Targeting Tool. [Re: slaterracing]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Another thing we had set up at my local lanes.

Same idea but instead of using string they put a bigger PVC "T" on the top bar with a PVC pipe extension coming out of the single end of the "T". So you would slip the bigger I.D. "T" over the top bar so that it free spins. The PVC would hang down and if you hit it flush it would flip up and around, like spinning around the top bar. If you just hit it but not dead on it would just go back and forth like the bottom of a clock.

I know, my explanation sucks but maybe someone will understand and could say it with a little more intelligence haha.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#162558 - 02/10/12 04:28 PM Re: How To Build Your Own Targeting Tool. [Re: slaterracing]
slaterracing Offline

Did not think about zip ties but they would work if you could find ones long enough to get down. SK8 i know what you are talking about and ya that would work just fine. Only think i would be afrd of is hitting the drop down bar to hard to to many times and breaking it on the lane. NOt sure that would happen but that would be my concern. But both good ideas. If the string does not work well i will give the others a try
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#162567 - 02/10/12 06:45 PM Re: How To Build Your Own Targeting Tool. [Re: sk8shorty01]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
Another thing we had set up at my local lanes.

Same idea but instead of using string they put a bigger PVC "T" on the top bar with a PVC pipe extension coming out of the single end of the "T". So you would slip the bigger I.D. "T" over the top bar so that it free spins. The PVC would hang down and if you hit it flush it would flip up and around, like spinning around the top bar. If you just hit it but not dead on it would just go back and forth like the bottom of a clock.

I know, my explanation sucks but maybe someone will understand and could say it with a little more intelligence haha.

Basically a t and small section of pipe of a couple sizes bigger, for instance 3/4 inch over a half inch pipe.
HS:763

#162574 - 02/10/12 11:15 PM Re: How To Build Your Own Targeting Tool. [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Once again we need a like or thanks button lol, Let us know how it works out, Lowes right down the street from where I work.
Mutant Cell

#162608 - 02/11/12 04:15 PM Re: How To Build Your Own Targeting Tool. [Re: slaterracing]
slaterracing Offline

Connor went out and used it today after leagues and said it was "Cool" I had (have to as i am still here) work today so did not get to see it but he said he used it for working on his 7 pin spare ( he's a cheating lefty lol) he put it out at about 30 feet and move the string to the middle and pract hitting that. Once he was hitting the string dead on he never missed the 7.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh BOY!!!
by Dennis Michael - Today at 12:51 AM
Sign-up open for fall V-league (closes 8/20)
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 01:38 PM
New Ball
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 12:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2017 thread
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 05:33 AM
2017 World Championships (Men & Women)
by Richie V. - 07/18/17 08:51 PM
2017 USBC Open Championships
by Richie V. - 07/18/17 05:03 PM
Code Red
by djp1080 - 07/18/17 12:32 PM
2017 National sport adjusted average rule
by mmalsed - 07/18/17 11:48 AM
USBC grants certificate 11925 to unusual tournamen
by rrb6699 (RayRay) - 07/17/17 11:13 PM
Loving the sport patterns
by wronghander - 07/17/17 10:41 PM
Any advice would be appreciated!
by iconz116 - 07/17/17 02:26 PM
Stuart Williams Hy-Road Live
by BOSStull - 07/16/17 10:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.