BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197004 - 03/20/17 09:12 AM better release - drilling - drills
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 24/M/Belgium
In addition to my other topic about wanting to try 2 handed bowling, i might just give it a go to try and generate more revs 1 handed thumb in first. Of the years i tried a lot of things, in the drilling, in the release, taking lessons but nothing really worked till now.

Now as i stated in that topic my chiropractor who was handling a hand injury pointed out that i had a very stiff thumb... And indeed, altho i never noticed this, i cannot bend my thumb at the second joint (joint that attaches it to the hand). While most people can go 45 or even more in that joint.

I had my best bowling with a reverse thumb pitch, it felt like it was coming off my hand cleaner, but some people said it felt like i was dropping the ball.

I read a lot in the internet and most pro's favour forward pitch (or so i read a lot). So i decided to try forward pitch. For some reason i cannot release a ball with forward thumb pitch, it always hangs on my hand. I thought i was muscling the ball but it didn't feel like i was. Currently i have no pitch in my thumbhole but it feels like my thumb is sticking just a tad too long every release.

Also I am using a wristguard and this is helping me in releasing the ball earlier (feels like a tad too long). Without wristguard it feels even a bit longer.

Are there are people here with limited mobility in their thumb the way i described? Is reverse pitch an option (or a must even?) in this scenario? What about side pitch?

I am going to get a new ball drilled soon, and drillers here do not seem to have much experience with alternate drillings. I could take some pointers from here back to the driller and see what he does with it.

Are there any other drills i should be doing to try and generate a better swing and release?

Edited by spectral (03/20/17 09:13 AM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#197006 - 03/20/17 09:49 AM Re: better release - drilling - drills [Re: spectral]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
I needed to go from reverse to MONDO forward thumb pitch after something went through the drillers' industry a decade or so ago where they wanted to shorten everyone's grip. I was OK with the shorter span, but after reading Ron Clifton's article about thumb pitch I experimented until I found the place where I wasn't dropping the ball or hanging in it.
check it out

ron clifton teaches old dogs new tricks
Brunswick Danger Zone-500 dull
Storm Reign of Fire-1k dull
Monster Loch Ness 4k+polish
Storm IQ30 Tour-4k dull
Track 300T-3k+polish
Storm Polar Ice 4k+polish

#197008 - 03/20/17 02:31 PM Re: better release - drilling - drills [Re: 6_ball_man]
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

Hey,

I did indeed read Ron's website all those years back and that led me to try forward pitch in the ball. It never seemed like i had squeezing issues with reverse or neutral pitch, but i could not release the ball decently with forward pitch in it. It would stick on my hand to the point where it would not come off at all.

So that's why I am wondering maybe my extremely inflexible thumb might have something to do with it?

#197015 - 03/21/17 10:22 AM Re: better release - drilling - drills [Re: spectral]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I agree with spectral on thumb pitch. I shortened my span and moved the thumb pitch forward a few years ago. And, I have been struggling ever since then. Even to the point where I started helping the ball at release. And I found myself grabbing the ball with my thumb.

Out of curiosity, I pulled out a 9 year old ball, and tried it. WOW, did it feel comfortable and I released it with ease.

Took it to the Pro Shop and checked the thumb. It was 9/16 reverse. yes that's 9/16. All, I know is that I averaged 20+ pins higher then.

So, I had my other balls changed to that and have been rolling well ever since.

Nice time to get a 15 pin bump in average, right at the end of the season, through position nights and roll offs. Come in low, and roll high.

Edited by Dennis Michael (03/21/17 10:25 AM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#197016 - 03/21/17 11:57 AM Re: better release - drilling - drills [Re: spectral]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Originally Posted By: spectral
In addition to my other topic about wanting to try 2 handed bowling, i might just give it a go to try and generate more revs 1 handed thumb in first. Of the years i tried a lot of things, in the drilling, in the release, taking lessons but nothing really worked till now.
Now as i stated in that topic my chiropractor who was handling a hand injury pointed out that i had a very stiff thumb... And indeed, altho i never noticed this, i cannot bend my thumb at the second joint (joint that attaches it to the hand). While most people can go 45 or even more in that joint.
I had my best bowling with a reverse thumb pitch, it felt like it was coming off my hand cleaner, but some people said it felt like i was dropping the ball.
I read a lot in the internet and most pro's favour forward pitch (or so i read a lot). So i decided to try forward pitch. For some reason i cannot release a ball with forward thumb pitch, it always hangs on my hand. I thought i was muscling the ball but it didn't feel like i was. Currently i have no pitch in my thumbhole but it feels like my thumb is sticking just a tad too long every release.
Also I am using a wristguard and this is helping me in releasing the ball earlier (feels like a tad too long). Without wristguard it feels even a bit longer.
Are there are people here with limited mobility in their thumb the way i described? Is reverse pitch an option (or a must even?) in this scenario? What about side pitch?
I am going to get a new ball drilled soon, and drillers here do not seem to have much experience with alternate drillings. I could take some pointers from here back to the driller and see what he does with it.
Are there any other drills i should be doing to try and generate a better swing and release?

If you have an injury of physical condition which prevents you from using a certain "thing" - then don't use it. smile

I have an old injury to my right wrist that prevents me from doing much with it. So I use a wrist brace and use my fingers to generate a moderate amount of rotation - and then fit my bowling style and line to fit. Generally it works - I don't generate the power of the big crankers, but I have a bit more flexibility than true strokers.

So I'd forego the forward pitch, if you can't release with it. smile Go with the reverse pitch that works for you - but go with as little reverse pitch as you can. Dropping the ball means you don't have the control or power that you would if you didn't drop it - so drop it as little as possible. smile You know?

And 2-handed may be good for you. Just study it (specifically Belmo's style), video yourself, and go through it bit by bit, making sure you're doing it correctly. I see too many that aren't projecting the ball or that don't get any backswing or whatever. Use your video. smile

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#197019 - 03/21/17 12:35 PM Re: better release - drilling - drills [Re: mmalsed]
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

Hello,

thank you for your comment. You are absolutely right about not using what you cannot, but since Ron states that upwards of 80% of people benefit from forward pitch, i was just curious as to if other people with a very inflexible thumb had the same problem as me when trying forward pitch. And if some of them also favored reverse.

And also if some people have side pitch in their thumb when it's not very flexible. i cannot be the only person in the world that likes bowling and has a thumb that cannot bend at the second joint.

fyi, it's not from an injury or anything... Both my thumbs are highly inflexible and it does not give me any discomfort in real life or even when bowling. In fact I am highly inflexible all over, I also cannot get any sort of backswing without opening up my shoulders like the crankers do

Edited by spectral (03/21/17 12:38 PM)

#197020 - 03/21/17 02:13 PM Re: better release - drilling - drills [Re: spectral]
Mkirchie Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 37/M/New Jersey
In fact I am highly inflexible all over, I also cannot get any sort of backswing without opening up my shoulders like the crankers do

I'd suggest trying to play with opening up your shoulders, even a little bit. You don't need to open them up the amount that crankers do. I can't generate much backswing either without opening up my shoulders and incorporating some tilt at my waist. When I do, my backswing is higher than the average bowler. I think that is more about human anatomy than flexibility. Additionally, if you don't open your shoulders when you bowl two-handed, assuming you choose to go that route instead of one-handed, I believe it will be very difficult to generate any ball speed.

Mark

#197023 - 03/22/17 08:24 AM Re: better release - drilling - drills [Re: spectral]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

If you are using a wrist guard, was your ball drilled when you wear it? It may take some room in your span.

Edited by Dennis Michael (03/22/17 08:27 AM)

#197024 - 03/22/17 08:44 AM Re: better release - drilling - drills [Re: Dennis Michael]
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

It was not drilled when using it, because i always had the intention of bowling without one. But for some reason it feels to come off a bit more smooth when wearing it. Could be because the span is a tad longer, or just because a wristguard tends to release the thumb a bit quicker (or so i was told).

Whatever the case, if i am going to invest time this summer to do some drills to improve my release with thumb in, then i definitely want to try and get rid of the wristguard. I hate the thing but i need it to generate any sort of revs.

so basically my questions are, are there any people with as limited flexibility in their second thumb joint as i have, do these people also have problems with forward pitch? And what pitch (foward/backward/side) did they and up with?

Second question is, what drills should i be doing to improve my release and timing? I watched the Joe slowinksi video's on youtube that have the foul line drill, which seems interesting... Is this a good start? and what other things can i do?

#197025 - 03/22/17 12:02 PM Re: better release - drilling - drills [Re: spectral]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Interesting Week... almost four 300 games
by Dennis Michael - 08/17/17 08:17 AM
Brunswick "The Grizz" Vintage Urethane ball
by ExBronxiteBowler - 08/16/17 01:55 PM
Lane Machine Breakdowns
by Dennis Michael - 08/16/17 10:00 AM
Loving the sport patterns
by wronghander - 08/14/17 09:52 PM
Balls with no filler
by Mkirchie - 08/13/17 10:23 PM
Sign-up for fall VL closes Aug. 20
by Richie V. - 08/13/17 09:56 PM
Other sports that use a ball
by BOSStull - 08/13/17 09:31 AM
Reactive Balls are designed to be throw hard!
by Dennis Michael - 08/10/17 02:17 PM
Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh BOY!!!
by goobee - 08/10/17 12:25 PM
Frozen rope with a twist
by W9JAB - 08/10/17 11:02 AM
Code Red
by rrb6699 (RayRay) - 08/08/17 06:06 AM
leagues
by goobee - 08/07/17 07:40 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.