BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196845 - 03/05/17 09:51 AM Injured--Going to Try Bowling Left Handed
KevinS Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 54/M/LA
My first post here. I hope I'm in the right forum.

I've been bowling for 40 years, maybe more, and currently carry a 193 avg. I'm pretty sure I tore a tendon at the elbow, I've been out for two months so far and now the doc is going to schedule surgery. Needless to say, I'm going to be out 3-4 more months. It's extremely frustrating as one of our players just moved across country and good subs are hard to find. Of course, there's my competitive nature and the fact that our team already won the league's first half.

So yesterday I went to the Pro Shop across town, bought a Columbia Side Swipe and had it drilled left-handed. For 7-pins, my thought is to take my current spare ball and switch the finger inserts so I can fit LH. That takes care of that, now I just have to go down the approach and throw the ball.

Any help to learn left handed bowling quickly would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by KevinS (03/05/17 09:57 AM)
Edit Reason: Didn't proofread

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#196846 - 03/05/17 10:02 AM Re: Injured--Going to Try Bowling Left Handed [Re: KevinS]
KevinS Offline
Bumper Bowler

I'm guessing that footwork, swing and release are going to be my biggest challenges.

#196847 - 03/05/17 12:21 PM Re: Injured--Going to Try Bowling Left Handed [Re: KevinS]
82Boat69 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 69/M/California
Unless you're naturally ambidextrous, I would have suggested you start with a 12 or 13 pound ball and work your way up. It takes time to develop muscle and coordination and its easier with a light ball.

Practice, practice, practice.
15 lb Columbia Blue Dot: Circa 1979

#196848 - 03/05/17 12:59 PM Re: Injured--Going to Try Bowling Left Handed [Re: KevinS]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Get left footed shoes, too. Slide on right foot.

I had a friend who did that. He could use both hands and did average over 190.
4 months later, he went back.
But, did have 2 book averages.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#196850 - 03/05/17 01:53 PM Re: Injured--Going to Try Bowling Left Handed [Re: Dennis Michael]
KevinS Offline
Bumper Bowler

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
Get left footed shoes, too. Slide on right foot.

Fortunately, I have Dexter SST-8s and can move my sliding sole and heel to the right shoe.

#196855 - 03/05/17 05:51 PM Re: Injured--Going to Try Bowling Left Handed [Re: KevinS]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
Originally Posted By: KevinS

I've been bowling for 40 years, maybe more, and currently carry a 193 avg. I'm pretty sure I tore a tendon at the elbow, I've been out for two months so far and now the doc is going to schedule surgery. Needless to say, I'm going to be out 3-4 more months. It's extremely frustrating as one of our players just moved across country and good subs are hard to find. Of course, there's my competitive nature and the fact that our team already won the league's first half.

So yesterday I went to the Pro Shop across town, bought a Columbia Side Swipe and had it drilled left-handed. For 7-pins, my thought is to take my current spare ball and switch the finger inserts so I can fit LH. That takes care of that, now I just have to go down the approach and throw the ball.

Any help to learn left handed bowling quickly would be greatly appreciated.

When I partially tore my brachialis tendon at work several years ago, I went lefty for the remainder of the season. I was a 5 step rightie but I dropped one step from my approach, and started with the same foot. I drilled a 12# Whiplash - no chance of throwing my 15# rightie stuff for more than a few shot- got a pair of universal shoes and went at it. Once the rhythm is down you may find (like I did) that the adjustments from over there are a lot like what we learned to do on the right side 40odd years ago...LoL

Good luck and don't forget to come back and let us know how you are doing.

Edited by 6_ball_man (03/05/17 05:54 PM)
Monster Bowling Loch Ness Monster - 2k dull
Storm IQ30 Tour 4k dull
Hammer Onyx Vibe 2k dull-w/some lane shine
Storm Polar Ice 4k+polish

#196858 - 03/05/17 09:39 PM Re: Injured--Going to Try Bowling Left Handed [Re: 6_ball_man]
KevinS Offline
Bumper Bowler

Originally Posted By: 6_ball_man

Good luck and don't forget to come back and let us know how you are doing.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will keep us up to date how it turns out. Now if my back would feel a bit better, I might actually go throw a few games tomorrow. It's hell getting old.

#196860 - 03/05/17 09:55 PM Re: Injured--Going to Try Bowling Left Handed [Re: 82Boat69]
KevinS Offline
Bumper Bowler

Originally Posted By: 82Boat69
Unless you're naturally ambidextrous, I would have suggested you start with a 12 or 13 pound ball and work your way up. It takes time to develop muscle and coordination and its easier with a light ball.
Practice, practice, practice.

Oops. Already got a 15 pounder. I thought about going lighter, but grabbed the ball from their clearance shelf. Thanks for the input though!

#196863 - 03/06/17 09:11 AM Re: Injured--Going to Try Bowling Left Handed [Re: KevinS]
W9JAB Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 62/m/Il.
Kevin, good luck with that, I'm naturally ambidextrous, I can wright, hammer, shoot guns, and other things, but bowling, batting a ball, and a few other things just don't work left handed.

I know one bowler who is in your position, got hurt and went lefty, but with little success.

One thing I found out was in League, you get a left or right average and handicap and need to play one or the other, no switching back and forth.

Any how once again I probably would do the same rather then sit out recovery, good luck and Practice, practice, practice.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Winter '17 Week 11 VL results
by Richie V. - Today at 12:39 AM
Parallel Sparing
by leodlion - Yesterday at 11:55 AM
2017 USBC Open Championships
by champ - Yesterday at 10:16 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread
by Richie V. - 03/26/17 09:51 PM
Hurling the ball
by 82Boat69 - 03/24/17 11:30 AM
better release - drilling - drills
by spectral - 03/24/17 08:45 AM
2 handed bolwing
by W9JAB - 03/21/17 02:28 PM
Winter '17 Week 10 VL results
by Richie V. - 03/20/17 04:27 PM
Ex-Brunswick Zone XL
by Dennis Michael - 03/20/17 10:06 AM
Do you think the're done
by Fin09 - 03/18/17 02:02 PM
Was not a happy camper
by W9JAB - 03/15/17 09:24 PM
bowling glove plus
by mmalsed - 03/15/17 11:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.