BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196746 - 02/21/17 11:51 AM Axis Tilt and Rotation
HughScot Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 76/M/NC
What difference does axis tilt and axis tilt make in how the ball will hit the pins? If the ball hits the pocket at the right angle you should get a strike, no?
Hammer Turbo Deep Purple 14#

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#196748 - 02/21/17 12:27 PM Re: Axis Tilt and Rotation [Re: HughScot]
82Boat69 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 69/M/California
Axis tilt does not help when it comes to contact with the pins. A ball must be rolling flat with no axis tilt on contact to have maximum hitting power.

Where axis tilt is helpful is allowing a bowler to store energy down lane longer, so that when the ball does come off its axis, it makes a sharper turn with more RPMs.

Too little axis tilt and too much axis tilt can both create problems in getting a ball to react properly before making contact with the pins.

Too much, like a person who throws a spinner, will react too late and deflect on contact.

Too little and a ball will begin to roll too soon, causing it to fade before contacting the pins. Again the ball deflects.
15 lb Columbia Blue Dot: Circa 1979

#196749 - 02/21/17 12:50 PM Re: Axis Tilt and Rotation [Re: HughScot]
djp1080 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 70/m/IL
Hugh, Sounds pretty simple doesn't it?
I recall reading about the ideas of axis tilt and rotation at Bowling This Month and I found the article here:
https://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bowling-tips/understanding-bowler-delivery-parameters/

Bill Sempsrott discusses these things quite well IMHO.

I've read that Pete Weber has an axis of rotation of nearly 90 deg. and Walter Ray Williams typically is around 30 deg. both have been very successful.

Mo Pinel is well respected in the bowling industry and I think he mentioned that the ball axis tilt should be in a range of 13 to 20 degrees.

It's probably easier to change your axis of rotation than your axis tilt. Eileen's bowling buddies has some tools to help with that kind of thing though.

Hope this helps...

#196751 - 02/21/17 01:30 PM Re: Axis Tilt and Rotation [Re: djp1080]
HughScot Offline
Action Bowler

Very interesting and as you mention Weber's is one thing and Williams another. I don't think it matters at all, unless one or the other will get the ball into the pocket better or more consistently why would it. Same ball, same speed and same weight why would tilt matter? If someone has the answer I'd love to hear it.

#196752 - 02/21/17 01:46 PM Re: Axis Tilt and Rotation [Re: HughScot]
82Boat69 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 69/M/California
I'm sure there are very long detailed explanations, but here's a short version.

Based on a person's delivery parameters, axis tilt 'may' store energy farther down lane. If that person's axis rotation is 0, all that stored energy 'may' not be useful.

If that person's axis rotation is 45 degrees, that store energy will be helpful to get the ball into the pocket with a more advantageous entry angle.

More entry angle with more RPM's means less deflection on contact with the pins. Less deflection means less weak corner pins.

Too many RPM's with too much axis Rotation can lead to more ringing 10's, solid 7's, solid 9's and fast eights.

The whole purpose of drilling a modern bowling ball is to match up the layout to take advantage of a person's delivery parameters and the lane condition to give that person the most speed, RPM's and entry angle that's possible.
15 lb Columbia Blue Dot: Circa 1979

#196753 - 02/21/17 01:52 PM Re: Axis Tilt and Rotation [Re: HughScot]
Mkirchie Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 36/M/New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Hugh Scot
Same ball, same speed and same weight why would tilt matter?

Getting to the pocket better is not just a function of entry angle or location, it is also about matching the correct time in the stage of ball motion to the time of impact with the pins. You want the ball to enter the roll phase shortly before impact. With all else equal, tilt adjusts when the ball enters the roll phase, if at all, as pointed out in 82Boat69's earlier post. If this time that the ball enters the roll phase is different due to different tilts, then not everything about the shots are equal. If it never rolls due to too much tilt, it deflects more. If it rolls too soon, it also deflects more as mentioned earlier.

Mark

#196754 - 02/21/17 02:38 PM Re: Axis Tilt and Rotation [Re: HughScot]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Originally Posted By: HughScot
What difference does axis tilt and axis tilt make in how the ball will hit the pins? If the ball hits the pocket at the right angle you should get a strike, no?

all of this has to do with the motion, not with the hitting. Your axis tilt and axis of rotation is important in how you set up your ball to get TO the pins and how much power is conserved on the way. As 82 mentioned, if your axis is zero, or even less (back-spin) you're going to burn off a LOT of rotational power and if your axis is like 90, then you won't shed any power, but you will be just rolling the ball forward (no side rotation).

But anyway - it's all about how you match your ball to your delivery to get your ball to the pins. smile

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#196755 - 02/21/17 03:44 PM Re: Axis Tilt and Rotation [Re: mmalsed]
HughScot Offline
Action Bowler

Thanks, I guess because I can't see it, it's hard for me to imagine. Great article in BTM by the way. Very helpful.

#196756 - 02/21/17 03:52 PM Re: Axis Tilt and Rotation [Re: HughScot]
djp1080 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 70/m/IL
Originally Posted By: HughScot
Very interesting and as you mention Weber's is one thing and Williams another. I don't think it matters at all, unless one or the other will get the ball into the pocket better or more consistently why would it. Same ball, same speed and same weight why would tilt matter? If someone has the answer I'd love to hear it.

Well Hugh, Axis Tilt affects angle of the initial release of the ball with the lane. If the axis tilt is zero, the ball will likely track very close or right over your finger and thumb holes. If the axis tilt is ninety degrees, the ball's track will be very close to no track at all; in other words, it will spin like a top.
A spinner will likely have no driving power if the ball hits the 1-3 or 1-2 pocket as it will deflect easily leaving the 5-pin or more.
Here's a nice article showing diagrams:
http://www.blueprintbowling.com/Blog/Posts/axis-rotation-and-axis-tilt-explained.aspx

Hope this helps...

#196760 - 02/21/17 05:57 PM Re: Axis Tilt and Rotation [Re: HughScot]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/AZ
Something to consider...

a high tilt player will likely learn over time that they need less speed and more surface. A low tilt player will learn they need more speed and less surface. They may not realize how their release comes into the equation, but when you're tired of seeing your ball react poorly, you tend to find reasons to improve the reaction.

I have a very low tilt. I've learned I need more speed and can't use super strong equipment of I have terrible roll out. I've also found that I struggle to create area and string strikes as well as I'd like to on a house shot, but my naturally rolly release is usually better on tougher patterns.

And considering I'm more interested in winning tournament titles than racking up piles of honor scores...I'm ok with that.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2017 thread
by goobee - 09:46 PM
PRODIGY BOWLERS TOUR -- 6-17-2017 "TEAM SHOWDOWN"
by W9JAB - 08:54 AM
Lane Machine Breakdowns
by goobee - 06/21/17 11:54 PM
Getting closer.....
by goobee - 06/21/17 11:47 PM
Future of bowling
by mmalsed - 06/21/17 10:56 AM
Frozen rope with a twist
by 82Boat69 - 06/19/17 03:45 PM
Private-Equity Firm Atairos Buys Bowlmor AMF......
by W9JAB - 06/19/17 03:28 PM
2017 USBC Open Championships
by Richie V. - 06/18/17 02:21 PM
Happy Father's Day
by BOSStull - 06/18/17 07:34 AM
Petersen Classic
by mpdooley - 06/17/17 04:39 PM
Top 10 Bowling Balls Since 2005 (Balls 1 5)
by goobee - 06/17/17 03:01 PM
Musing out loud
by BOSStull - 06/15/17 08:11 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.