BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196557 - 01/27/17 05:29 PM Practice games
steveA Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 57/male/newcastle:uk
What games do you guys play for practice .
We've just had a round of low score, but came up with a problem , 1 st ball caught the ten pin enough to wobble it but didn't fall, as the ball dropped in the gutter, then the discussion started can you enter a zero score.We'd always taken the perfect games as 20 but now not so sure.
Just want to know what else is out there to try, or your versions of some we might already do.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#196559 - 01/27/17 05:45 PM Re: Practice games [Re: steveA]
djp1080 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 70/m/IL
I like that low ball game that I think you're referring to. It's where you go for alternating 7-pin and 10-pin shots. Another variation is to go for 2-pin and 3-pin shots to make sure you don't hit the head pin.
During practice I like to throw a number of shots by lining up near the foul line without taking any steps in a normal final release position with the balance leg behind me out to the left, etc. Just swing the ball two or three times and then just let it go down the lane. Not to worry about aiming or anything.
Then next do several one step drills before getting up there with a full five step approach.
Next time I go out I'll work on keeping my backswing to a minimum as I tend to pull up on it. I'll try to stop my backswing as the ball gets close to my right hip. If I do that, my backswing is just about right believe it or not... smile

#196564 - 01/28/17 11:58 AM Re: Practice games [Re: steveA]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
I do throw an occasional shot left handed. Several years ago I damaged a tendon in my right elbow and went the rest of that season lefty. Back then, I bought a pair of cheap, universal shoes and drilled a coupla 12#ers, due to my left not being as strong as my right. It went OK for a person that never did anything left handed in his life. Spares were the key...strike shot was relatively simple, once I got the footwork down, the adjustments over there were like I learned them from the right side in my youth. Of course now, I do not carry any lefty specific equipment, so I typically just toss my spare ball and plant...not usually more than a shot or 2 but it reminds me of stuff I have to do from the other side. I like low ball too, as a practice tool. I prefer to practice without the scorers on, but some older scoring equipment (AMF 2000) count ever shot as a frame when you do that. Also, a ton of players, even very good ones, insist on practicing with the scorers on. I don't get that, so I insist that if the scorers are on that we bowl for something...a buck or a pop...anything...if the score matters, something should ride on it. LoL
Storm IQ Tour30 - 4k dull
Monster Loch Ness - 4k+polish
Hammer Onyx Vibe - 4k dull
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

#196587 - 01/31/17 05:57 PM Re: Practice games [Re: steveA]
steveA Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 57/male/newcastle:uk
Left the strangest split tonight, pocket ball, did all the right things, left the pin deck between the 8-9, both wobbled and stayed up. Never seen that one before .

#196602 - 02/02/17 10:08 PM Re: Practice games [Re: steveA]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
On top of the low ball game, I also try bowling a game from each arrow. At least the first 4 arrows.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#196612 - 02/04/17 11:11 AM Re: Practice games [Re: Smooth Stroker]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
Originally Posted By: Smooth Stroker
I also try bowling a game from each arrow. At least the first 4 arrows.

I do this as well. It worked wonders on my versatility. There's a lot of bowlers, even really good ones, who are trapped to about a five board area with their feet. Don't get stuck in that rut. This will force you to manipulate speed, increase axis rotation, and learn your equipment; things most bowlers never really attempt.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - 11/22/17 10:58 PM
Hammer "Black Widow Urethane"
by nord - 11/22/17 12:35 AM
Honor scores 2017-18
by wronghander - 11/21/17 11:58 PM
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - 11/19/17 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - 11/19/17 10:04 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 12:09 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.