BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196353 - 01/08/17 10:34 PM Bowling: Why Straighter is Greater?
mrthang Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 29/m/Vietnam
Hey guys,

I ran into this video this morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSf2acUXuNc
There are lots of different thought about this point of view in the comment of the video. What do you think about it?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#196357 - 01/09/17 10:19 AM Re: Bowling: Why Straighter is Greater? [Re: mrthang]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
It seems to me it's all about working with heavy oil patterns, and playing the line your most comfortable with.
I.E. rather than moving far left, tossing over the gutter and going over the 5th arrow, go Straighter,
(less hook)in a line that you can deal with.
I think this is more about sport patterns than house patterns(THS).
JOE

#196359 - 01/09/17 12:03 PM Re: Bowling: Why Straighter is Greater? [Re: mrthang]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
it is about fitting your physical style and capabilities to your ball and then to the lane.

Last night, I went straight (which is really just down-and-in, not straight) and could not get success so moved left, changed balls, and swung it a bit and got success. Those who played the outside struggled, those who swung it (even just a bit) had more success.

We had a lot of friction outside so a down-and-in shot would over-hook if you missed right even a touch; but had a good bit of oil inside so if you missed left, nothing happened. Was strange. Couldn't get it to work. Straighter wasn't greater.

But when I used the oil and the dry, it did.

I didn't like the video. First, he actually had clips of SIGNIFICANT hook under the "straight" examples. Norm's first shot was really the only really straight shot I saw - almost lofting the right gutter, thrown pretty much directly at the pocket and a little hook at the end to drive through.

Everything else was straight, at first, but had a pretty good amount of hook; OR was just a lesser amount of hook.

But as one of the comments to the video pointed out, Belmonte has been Player of the Year three times in the past three years and his game is all over the lane. If it's really true that straighter is greater, then how is the most dominant player in the game today the swing guy that he is?

And looking back some more, Sean Rash - big power swinger. Mika - down-and-in. Walter Ray - down -and-in. Wes Malott - "King of Swing". Chris Barnes - anything that he needs to do. So that's seven years and only two "straighter" players.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#196364 - 01/09/17 06:23 PM Re: Bowling: Why Straighter is Greater? [Re: mrthang]
steveA Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/male uk
Sorry I don't see that as playing straight thats a strokers line, not alot of movement then hooks at the end. Watch the top players bowl a spare ball in the last frame when they know they've closed the other player out, hard and fast down 18th board , when it don't matter if they strike or not, thats straight bowling no hook at all.

#196366 - 01/10/17 01:01 AM Re: Bowling: Why Straighter is Greater? [Re: mrthang]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
"Straighter hook?" Is that a new bowling term?

As with the others, I'm not seeing straight bowling here. I consider straight bowling as having to stand far right (left for lefties) and angling the ball towards the pocket.

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs C300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs C300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Brunswick BTU Pearl
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#196368 - 01/10/17 09:09 AM Re: Bowling: Why Straighter is Greater? [Re: goobee]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
I also agree, I mostly see lines played straight up the boards and then hooking as opposed to swinging the lane from inside to out. These are not "straight" shots, a decent # of them had breakpoints close to the gutter. Additionally, the person who posts the video in a later comment uses an example of Belmonte playing on the Badger as an example of a bowler with a lot of revs playing a very direct line to the pocket. Since probably everyone was playing around that line on that pattern, I don't consider Belmonte on the Badger as a good example of the point that the poster is trying to prove.

Mark

#196414 - 01/14/17 11:15 AM Re: Bowling: Why Straighter is Greater? [Re: mrthang]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 63/M /Georgia
Originally Posted By: mrthang
Hey guys,

I ran into this video this morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSf2acUXuNc
There are lots of different thought about this point of view in the comment of the video. What do you think about it?

Where did the video go? Watched the other day and went back to watch again. GONE.

I don't think the suggestion straighter is greater is in reference to a straight line shot but one where by decreasing your amount of hook or REVS will result in better accuracy and/or carry.

#196418 - 01/14/17 12:44 PM Re: Bowling: Why Straighter is Greater? [Re: mrthang]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
stop
Quote:
Why Straighter is Greater

lividIs this some kind of slam on the L.G.T.B.Q.M.N.O.P.X.T.
community? livid

I would certainty hope not as the age of political correctness is not over yet nelson

.But soon thumbsup

#196433 - 01/14/17 10:53 PM Re: Bowling: Why Straighter is Greater? [Re: mrthang]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
straighter does not equal straight. It means less hook, not no hook. House shots almost never require a straighter is greater approach. Tough sport and PBA patterns that penalize slightly errant shots force bowlers to play a straighter line, one in which they don't throw the ball away from the headpin. Carry may not be great, but if you can stay in the pocket and make single pin spares on these tough patterns, you'll cash in a lot of tournaments.
Just a couple of years before the two-handed revolution, the guys winning the most on tour were Walter Ray , Norm Duke, Parker Bohn, Brian Voss, and a host of other guys who could throw it straighter if necessary.

Bowl up a Storm!

#196436 - 01/15/17 10:56 AM Re: Bowling: Why Straighter is Greater? [Re: goobee]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Originally Posted By: goobee
"Straighter hook?" Is that a new bowling term?

Yes, it's like Jumbo Shrimp.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.