BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196220 - 12/27/16 04:30 PM Oily/Dry
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.

confused How would you describe your lane as far as oily/dry.

THS is not so typical, from lane surfaces to the oil spreading equipment.

So what gauge or measure do you use to explain, say to a Pro Shop not familiar with your area. eek

If you see/wipes oil rings off from every shot,
is that heavy oil? ball

JOE

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#196222 - 12/27/16 05:41 PM Re: Oily/Dry [Re: W9JAB]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
That really is a great question, and there isn't a great answer.

Your example of seeing oil rings could come down to the type of oil, how fast a given ball absorbs it, and even meteorological factors (temperature, humidity, etc) and isn't necessarily an example of HOW MUCH oil there is on the lane.

For me, it just comes down to bowling as many places as I can. I've bowled leagues in seven or eight different centers, and tournaments countless others. That's a good way to get to know "oh yeah, this is what heavy oil is.

Another example is practice in the summer. Most places oil their lanes less often in the summer since there are fewer leagues, and the heat makes what oil they do have go away quickly. That's a great way to find out "oh this is dry!"

But most house shots are dry outside and heavy inside. Even though you'll read all over the internet "I can't use heavy oil balls, my house doesn't use enough oil" you can interpret that as, "I refuse to move inside of 10 and am constantly bowling in the dry part of the lane."

On a house shot, you can usually use just about whatever you want if you're willing to adjust to play the angle that's suitable for that ball. And then set your arsenal up around that ball.

#196225 - 12/27/16 07:13 PM Re: Oily/Dry [Re: W9JAB]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 71/m/IL
Likely the best gauge of where you bowl is to compare it to other houses like Champ has done in his area with a ball that you're familiar with. You know how your ball works on your current THS (that is, know where you line up, what you're aiming at and where it breaks).
Most of the places near me are pretty similar, but one of them stands out as it's very clean. Seldom do I have to work cleaning up my gear after bowling there much. Another one stands out, too. It has half of the lane in wood. On that one I have to use my weakest gear to keep my ball on the lane. The others are not as well maintained and I may spend a good amount of time cleaning and polishing up each ball afterward. frown

#196262 - 12/30/16 10:13 AM Re: Oily/Dry [Re: champ]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
Quote:
On a house shot, you can usually use just about whatever you want if you're willing to adjust to play the angle that's suitable for that ball.

Quote:
"I refuse to move inside of 10 and am constantly bowling in the dry part of the lane."

That is good advice, and the more I thought about it, go to any center and you'll see all type of equipment out, so what I'm saying is you don't get stopped at the door and told you better not have a strong ball or you'll be in trouble. stop

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - 12/14/18 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.