BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196078 - 12/12/16 09:42 AM Help at the Lanes
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.

I had been struggling with finding a decent strike shot for some time. crying

My expectation was a big sweeping “hockey stick” hook.
I would stand far left and toss right, with disappointing results. livid

Had a hard time keeping right of the head pin, too much hook or no hook at all. I got suggestions from other bowlers, I was told I need more surface and less speed, and it just did not help. brickwall

I could get the big hook but it arrived flat, no power, lot’s of 5’s and splits. thumbsdown

Out of frustration and researching this forum, I thought what the heck, I had the ball polished, (I had been scuffing it up) and decided to toss it faster. idea

I’ll be dammed, I did not get a sweeping hook, but I do get about a nice 5-7 board movement at the very end, and of course much more drive. rotfl

The point is as much as others tried to help, the advice I was getting was 180 from what was needed.
I was trying to get the ball to do what I wanted, not what the ball wanted.
Once I figured out what the ball wanted everything changed. love

JOE

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#196083 - 12/13/16 09:36 AM Re: Help at the Lanes [Re: W9JAB]
82Boat69 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 71/M/California
Big hooks come at a price if a person doesn't have enough speed or enough RPM's. If a ball is running out of energy, roughing up the surface exacerbates the problem.

I'm a big fan of polishing reactive resin balls to take the edge off them. Polishing a ball can cause a ball to store more energy as long as the ball doesn't skid too far before reacting.

The problem with polish, it's tough to get off once it's on. Polish will stop a ball from soaking up as much oil as without polish, but it will also stop ball cleaners from removing oil already soaked up and it will also get in the way of sweating if you want to get oil out. To get polish out, you'll be looking at a serious resurfacing project.

Other possibilities are;

Use a less aggressive ball surface to begin with
Lengthen the pin-to-PAP distance so the ball expends energy slower
Open up the VAL angle
Clear your thumb earlier to increase axis tilt
Get more up the back to reduce axis rotation
Move your whole shot deeper into the lane pattern

All of the items above will get your ball farther down lane without scrubbing of too much energy.

That said, I have 2 Storm 'Lock' balls. One is out of the box drilled 45 x 4 x 35 and I clean it religiously. The other is drilled 50 x 5 x 50 and polished with Extender polish.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - Yesterday at 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.