BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196090 - 12/13/16 09:19 PM Re: mental game [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
82Boat69 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 71/M/California
Slumps are a great topic, because I've just started one.

In some slumps, I'm all over the place. In this one, I'm hitting the pocket but not carrying the hits. As usual I look at the results of my hits for clues, but I'm not seeing anything obvious.

When this occurs, I simply assume my speed and RPM's are mismatched or maybe axis rotation is off. I only throw 14 pounds, so I don't need to be too far off to lose a hit.

Because I can change balls and lines and get the same result, I've settle on speed/RPM mismatched. The cause is most likely missing my 'timing point' so my leverage isn't what it needs to be.

When my 'timing point' is wrong, I need to adjust my feet and be more patient with my release. Oddly, any physical attempt I make to get synced puts me just a bit too early or just a bit too late.

I'm 69 and the physical adjustment might be to small for my aging coordination. I'm beginning to think for some slumps I just need to ride them out. I'll keep trying though.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#196092 - 12/14/16 09:53 AM Re: mental game [Re: Doogie]
Doogie Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 37/M/Lincoln, NE
First off I wonder what different people consider a slump. How long does it have to be to be considered a slump or just a couple off nights.

For me I try and look at why I am not scoring. Am I bowling good physically just not carrying or mental game not keeping up? Is my physical game off?

The two things in my opinion that can help to end a slump are to either take a break of 2+ weeks. (not a good option to me) Or I need to try something drastically different for a week or two.
Storm: Supernatural

#196094 - 12/14/16 10:08 AM Re: mental game [Re: Doogie]
82Boat69 Offline

For me it's all about the numbers. I shoot 12 games a week and 4 are in league. If my average for all my games drops off 5-10% for a couple of weeks, I consider myself in a slump. I consider all slumps equal :-) I go back to basics and begin trying to figure out the problem. Even if I know what's wrong, I'm not always able to correct the problem physically.

Over my life I think slumps usually run 2-4 weeks despite all my best efforts. Its like nothing feels right and then one day it does and things go back to normal :-)

#197074 - 03/28/17 08:37 AM Re: mental game [Re: Doogie]
anegmyt Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 25/m/Chicago
I've never thought of that, sounds like a good idea that I might try. My mental trick is to ignore the numbers and just focus on the game.

#197075 - 03/28/17 09:12 AM Re: mental game [Re: anegmyt]
82Boat69 Offline

Bowling is actually a pretty simple game. It becomes more complex the higher your average gets. Pros are light years away from the rest of us, but the underlying game is pretty simple.

What causes problems, is what we as individuals bring to our games.

A slight flex in wrist position
A slight rotation of our hand
A thumb that's just a little sticky/loose
A step cadence that's just a little off
A premature pull of our swing
A slight change in body angle/spine tilt

Any of the above can change speed, RPM's, or axis rotation. Now add in the lane pattern and ball we're throwing.

Now, combine all of these and you have a a general idea of the physical dynamics we go through on each shot. None of us are perfect, but we can minimize variation with a disciplined approach to determine what's wrong and how to solve it.

We can't eliminate slumps, but we can minimize their depth and duration. Too many worry about their scores when they practice. In my mind, that's not practice. If we're not careful, it's just as easy to practice bad habits as it is to practice good habits. If we're just aerobic bowling, we may not notice the difference.

I've shot many good games while throwing the ball poorly. I've also shot many lower scores throwing the ball well. Putting it all together when it counts is the trick :-)

When you practice, have a plan!

#197081 - 03/28/17 02:50 PM Re: mental game [Re: 82Boat69]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
Quote:
Bowling is actually a pretty simple game. It becomes more complex the higher your average gets.

Agreed
Quote:
How do you toss a gutter ball on the first shot then pick up the spare (what I call a big spare)on the next shot?
It's all about concentration.
I like to say that there's a million things that can go wrong between your first step and the fowl line.
When your three days older than dirt, it's easy to have a little brain f*rt and screw up the shot.
Quote:
Pros are light years away from the rest of us
Watch the pro's. You do not see them just step up a chuck one out. Every shot is just as important as the last, we get complacent, maybe for you it's the middle of the second game or the tail end of the third but at some time in a three game set, you let one go that you know you shouldn't have, or you make that impossible split and mess up on the very next shot.
As your title is, The mental game, My point is you know what to do, it's just a matter of doing it, and the only way to do it is a concentrated effort of the task at hand.

Well best of luck on getting out of the slump, but remember that it's all about concentration, laser focus. Intensely paying attention to making your shot.

#197091 - 03/29/17 12:16 PM Re: mental game [Re: W9JAB]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Originally Posted By: W9JAB
Quote:
Bowling is actually a pretty simple game. It becomes more complex the higher your average gets.

Agreed
Quote:
How do you toss a gutter ball on the first shot then pick up the spare (what I call a big spare)on the next shot?
It's all about concentration.
I like to say that there's a million things that can go wrong between your first step and the fowl line.
When your three days older than dirt, it's easy to have a little brain f*rt and screw up the shot.
Quote:
Pros are light years away from the rest of us
Watch the pro's. You do not see them just step up a chuck one out.

LOL - unless the game is decided and they throw their spare ball right down the middle. . . LOL . . . OR they do a flop. smile

But you're both absolutely correct. smile

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#197152 - 04/07/17 02:12 PM Re: mental game [Re: 82Boat69]
RGR Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 62/m/Ontario
I also believe in slumps, and in my case 600phobia, I have managed 1 600 this season so far, sorry 2, carrying about 180 ave. bowl a lot of high 500s but no 600s. I feel like I'm throwing the ball well, its just that last game that does me in. In the last 4 weeks in league play I have managed a 590, with a 227,200,and a 163, a 561 with a 213,210, and a 138, a 203,193, and a 169 for a 565, and a few days ago a hard fought 600 with a 243,198, I had to mark in the tenth to get it, actually had a strike in the 9th, but needed the mark in the tenth to get it, actually struck out in the tenth for a 185, for a 626, those third games are killing me, lack of concentration or what don't know

#197153 - 04/07/17 03:27 PM Re: mental game [Re: RGR]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
Originally Posted By: RGR
those third games are killing me, lack of concentration or what don't know

I've been there! And I've bowled with a lot of people who have the same issue. We tend to think that suddenly we're bowling bad, or suddenly forgot how to bowl. That's not the case. You're not going from bowling great to suddenly bowling bad.

The lanes changed. A lot more than you think. Next time you start to notice you're losing miss room, or that you have to throw it perfect to strike, make a big change. Most people at an "average plateau" simply aren't making big enough adjustments when they desperately need to.

You can fool yourself into thinking you're close. Miss a little left and you leave a 4. Miss a little right and its a 10. You'll say, "I'm close, I just need to make a small move." Nope. Make a big one.

Dramatic ball change. Zone change. Something. But not one board. Not a tad more speed. It takes confidence, but the more you try it, you'll catch on to what that big adjustment is for your game.

Move to much, miss a frame. Move too little, miss a game.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#197155 - 04/07/17 06:12 PM Re: mental game [Re: RGR]
82Boat69 Offline

If you feel like you're choking, you usually are. If you feel like you're throwing your ball well but not scoring, then you're probably not adjusting correctly.

It's rare that the lanes stay the same for 3 games. Based on the number of players on a pair, they can come apart pretty quickly.

Knowing 'when' the lanes begin to breakdown and 'how' they're breaking down gives you an advantage over anyone who doesn't.

Here's a typical scenario;

In game 1 your ball speed and RPM's are matched closely and you carry the way you expect. In game 2, the back-ends begin to go away but your ball isn't hooking anymore than game 1 but you just aren't carrying your hits. Most people won't change. But they should.

With modern balls, the surface of the ball and the surface of the lane create friction. As the lane breaks down, friction goes up. More friction, less RPM's.

Less RPM's with the same speed will have the ball hit the pocket but the amount of deflection causes the hits not to carry. Everything appears to be the same. The only way a bowler would know is by watching where their ball goes off the back of the pin-deck.

Knowing when to adjust and how to adjust is the secret to moving game to game seamlessly. Once you get behind the lane condition, you may lose hits or begin hitting high. Even if you move your feet you may hit the nose again if you haven't adjusted far enough or possibly even adjusted your whole line left.

Adjustments can be where you start, where you target or even a different ball. Having an arsenal and knowing how each ball reacts on changing conditions may be the difference between 590 and 650.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.