BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196039 - 12/07/16 11:54 AM mental game
Doogie Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 37/M/Lincoln, NE
Could watching video of yourself prior to bowling be a good kick start to using visualization the rest of the night?

Has anyone tried this?

How recent of a video should be used?

I am curious to hear some others thoughts.
Storm: Supernatural

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#196040 - 12/07/16 12:27 PM Re: mental game [Re: Doogie]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
I've done it and it does work.

I took the video of myself when I had been bowling great for about six weeks. I wanted to use it as a reference if I ever went into a slump.

Last night I was watching Xtra frame coverage of the Chameleon Championship, and Marshall Holman was in the booth discussing visualization. He said that was always the key to his game; the ability to visualize exactly what his approach should look like, and let his subconscious take over.

The great book, The Inner Game of Tennis, also discusses such a theory as being very common amongst elite players of any sport. The ability to visualize and execute that visualization without the conscious brain trying to manipulate the body. Its a good read.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#196041 - 12/07/16 01:07 PM Re: mental game [Re: Doogie]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 72/m/IL
I've been using a stress ball in my non-bowling hand just prior to getting up on the lane. I may squeeze it a bunch of times during other bowlers shots. I've found that it relaxes me and my swing which helps me deliver effort free shots. This is from a recent article from Bowling This Month.

#196042 - 12/07/16 03:18 PM Re: mental game [Re: djp1080]
Doogie Offline
Virtual League Champion

That sounds like a good idea. I may have to find one of those and give that a try.

#196044 - 12/07/16 05:15 PM Re: mental game [Re: Doogie]
82Boat69 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 71/M/California
On a day to day basis, even the same lanes will react differently based on time of day, humidity, temperature, previous bowlers and on and on.

Timing is everything. Few can throw exactly the same shot at all times and get away with it. What we really are doing is making minute changes in the dynamics of our delivery.

We may change foot speed, step length, ball speed, RPM's, axis tilt, axis rotation or many combinations of all of the above in our delivery. What we did on video from a previous day might work and then again it might not.

I'm all for visualization, but watching myself on video on a shot that may not be the same as the shot I'm going to shoot won't help.

Where a video does come in handy is learning the positions of everything at different points so we have a basic model to begin with when we begin a slump. Ever throw a ball a know it's a strike out of your hand? Ever airmail a shot right, pull a shot left, go over, go around, miss at the bottom and on and on? We seem to know when we do it right based on feel but don't always feel when it goes wrong until the very last moment.

Knowing where everything should be helps to determine where we are making mistakes and a video can help, but if we can't feel it during the delivery, we won't know it's bad until it's too late.

I recommend you break your delivery up into little pieces and become familiar with what you 'feel' when you do it right and the same for when you don't. That can allow you to pull up before throwing a bad shot. It also helps to make small adjustments as the lanes change.

As I've aged, it seems that my recognition of when a delivery is going bad has become later and later. I'm certain that my reflexes are as aged as I am. Still, I'm able to pull a lot of bad shots back together in seemingly the last second.

Visualize before each shot, but feel your way to the line. Think of yourself as a blind person who has to bowl without any visual reference except in your mind. Your arm-swing can't just be about your height or push-away. Can you feel if the ball has gone back slightly outside-in? Can you feel your hand position on the way back? Can you feel your steps and their lengths? Can you feel when the ball pauses at the top? Can you feel your shoulder if you pull from the top instead of waiting on the ball? Can you feel any loop in your swing slot? Can you feel your hand position on the way forward? Can you feel your hand relax at the bottom and your fingers leaving the ball?

Slumps are about depth and duration. If you can 'feel' what's wrong, even though you can't see it, you'll get out sooner.

#196057 - 12/08/16 11:04 AM Re: mental game [Re: 82Boat69]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
Quote:
On a day to day basis, even the same lanes will react differently based on time of day, humidity, temperature, previous bowlers and on and on.

This is greatly enhanced on wood lanes. livid

Quote:
If you can 'feel' what's wrong

I can feel the difference between a good and bad shot, but not all ways know why the bad went bad. crying

JOE

#196058 - 12/08/16 11:41 AM Re: mental game [Re: W9JAB]
82Boat69 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 71/M/California
I call them 'age' errors :-) Like all our senses, our sense of touch diminishes. Our muscle memory skips a beat. We don't even know it until we get to the point of release and something's amiss.

I started noticing when I was in my late 30's that I could no longer pull some shots back together at the last second. It's 30 years later now and the only way I can minimize my errors is to be hypersensitive to my whole approach. Even that isn't a guarantee, but it helps.

The one good side effect is my slumps are shallow and short.

#196070 - 12/10/16 10:33 PM Re: mental game [Re: W9JAB]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
Originally Posted By: W9JAB
I can feel the difference between a good and bad shot, but not all ways know why the bad went bad. crying

An important lesson I learned is that if it doesn't feel right in the first two or three steps, there's plenty of time to stop.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#196076 - 12/12/16 08:34 AM Re: mental game [Re: champ]
Doogie Offline
Virtual League Champion

I know I should but for some reason I always just try and fix it in motion. It almost seems that in my mind I have hit a point of no return as soon as I start the approach.

#196089 - 12/13/16 08:26 PM Re: mental game [Re: Doogie]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
ive stayed working on release mostly. since so many things can be different each shot, odds are against duplication. in fact, duplicating each shot exactly would probably be a disadvantage because lanes change and the ball reaction still would change.

I feel if you get your last step/slide started and know where to start your release, you will have 2 things you can rely on. I find if I dont have a firm arm motion thru the shot, I have inconsistent ball reaction. that's 3 things you can be consistent with. the 4th point of consistency is maintaining hand position.

if you solely "feel" your way to the line and something goes awry, I think it's hard to pinpoint because you aren't paying attention to certain keys each shot.

I think when you bowl well there's always an element of luck involved. like if you miss right (or left) a board, but, your hand position is slightly different and it compensates for the error. strike. you threw it "wrong" but got away with it. same thing if you push through a shot but get more leverage and pull it. strike.

you cant repeat these things. really you don't want them to happen again because it wasn't what you wanted to do Execution-wise. so, you have to have some keys or "checkpoints" to tell if you executed properly.

Bowling is still a game of area even though you try to repeat. slight errors can be hugely advantageous and keep you in play longer.

I've been through times of throwing a turkey or 4 bagger then cant get past 4. it seems unreal at times where you cant finish a game for 250 and come up with a 4, 10pin or worse a split and lose 20+ pins.

I've had trouble at times working through these "slumps" by practicing. seems like that would be the correct approach to take, but, if nothing else works I take a few days and try not to bowl at all to "forget" something that may be causing the problem.

I do have a video of my 10th frame pf a 300 game (usually don't have video of these right?) that I can watch or I watch pros bowling well to watch their timing and Execution. this helps me sometimes.

it would be an interesting thread to discuss how bowlers work thru slumps, maybe what caused them, etc...

rr

Edited by rrb6699 (RayRay) (12/13/16 08:30 PM)
Edit Reason: sp
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.