BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195941 - 11/23/16 11:09 PM A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent
mrthang Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 29/m/Vietnam
Hi guys!

It's me again laugh I hope you guys are not so obsessed at me haha. I have these 2 pictures from Marshall Kent releasing the hook ball. It can help us understand a lot about the release.

[img]https://www.facebook.com/happybowlersdot...e=3&theater[/img]

[img]https://www.facebook.com/happybowlersdot...e=3&theater[/img]

When I began practising hook few years ago, I thought we should rotate the wrist around the ball to make create rev and make it hook. Now, to my opinion, it's totally a misconception.

I think when make the hook release we should not think about rotate the wrist or hand or arm...etc. The rotation should be from the fingers (ring finger lead) when the thumb gets out of the hole. At that moment, the ball falls off onto the fingers and has a tendency to fall to the left side of the hand (right hand bowler). Then we don't need to rotate wrist or hands but just project the ball straight to the target with a thought of letting the hand behind the ball as it is from the top of the swing. The ring finger will automatically rotate as the ball is off the thumb.

I had the "chicken wing" mistake for a very long time. And when I apply this concept to myself. it's totally a Game Changer to me. No wrist, no hands turn, just keep the hand behind the ball, ring finger leads and magic happens by itself.

So obviously, we should not think of any hand or wrist rotation! Do you think like me? Please correct me if i am wrong.

Edited by mrthang (11/23/16 11:13 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#195942 - 11/24/16 09:47 AM Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent [Re: mrthang]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
You are Not wrong

Modern balls work just like you stated. rotfl

In the "old days" with rubber/plastic you did need to put a lot of wrist and twist into it to hook.

But with the modern core fingers up the back will hook em. laugh

JOE

Edited by W9JAB (11/24/16 09:49 AM)

#195943 - 11/24/16 10:51 AM Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent [Re: mrthang]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
When I see league bowlers really start trying to figure out how to add revs, most of them end up looking like this guy here: hand on top of the ball and fully rotated around the outside.

This will produce a lot of skid, a modest hook, and a weak roll along with bad carry (maybe that's how he ended up with a 5-10 crazy) All of that energy you're creating when you go through your approach...you're not imparting it to the bowling ball with a release like this.

I blame all the coaches who tell their students to imagine throwing an underhand spiral with a football. A proper bowling release is NOTHING like the underhand spiral. The underhand spiral requires to rotate your wrist around and over the ball. You don't want to do that with a bowling ball.

A proper bowling release has the hand behind the bowling ball. (Not directly behind it;that will create an end over end roll great for spares. But only slightly to the outside.) Some pros get to that position by rotating from the inside of the ball and then uncupping the wrist to force it off the thumb quickly. That's how you create a very high rev rate. You don't have to do that if you goal is just to get a stronger release with better roll and carry. All you need to do is lock your hand in the position this guy is in, in the third frame of the series.

#195945 - 11/24/16 11:04 AM Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent [Re: W9JAB]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
When I was a kid in the 60's, we were always told turn the ball not your wrist.

The only glove in those days was a Don Carter glove which was kind of like a golf glove with a raised pad that forced the ball on to the fingers and thumb. Most people just tucked their little finger which created the same effect.

If a person then spread their index finger and stayed behind the ball, the combination accentuated an early thumb exist and created a great deal of axis rotation as the fingers cleared. A straight, firm wrist also helped.

Today, all that isn't necessary. I may be committing heresy, but I'm not sure gloves of any kind are necessary with modern bowling balls.

Most people probably lose RPM's wearing a glove. It may give them a more consistent release, but I'm not convinced they get more leverage or more RPM's. I'm not sure those who wear gloves allow their wrists and forearms to relax enough to throw a ball with optimum efficiency. I'm sure many women would disagree.

From previous discussions, speed out of the hook phase and RPM's are what create conditions for the best carry, assuming the ball hits the pocket. Any device that limits speed or RPM's has to be questioned.

As a matter of release our hands will rotate as the thumb comes out, the ball begins to tilt and then the fingers clear. Allowing that to happen with a completely relaxed hand seems to be the best way.

This may all be mute for those who didn't learn to turn the ball in their youth. I don't know anyone who is raising their RPM's dramatically if they don't already know how to do it.

Some kind of perverted muscle memory that keeps people stuck between stroker, tweener and crankers. You can take stuff off the ball but its really hard to learn to put stuff on the ball.

Finally, for those who don't get a lot on the ball, should they try to learn to crank or just drill their ball for the way they do release the ball and optimize their delivery that way?

#195946 - 11/24/16 11:34 AM Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent [Re: 82Boat69]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

Originally Posted By: 82Boat69
I may be committing heresy, but I'm not sure gloves of any kind are necessary with modern bowling balls.

I agree completely. For starters, they get people to think in terms of firm wrist; and firm wrist becomes firm squeeze; and that becomes bad bowling. Even if you feel like you need a glove to support an injured or aging wrist, those gloves fight against a proper fit, and its a proper fit that is a must to keep your wrist safe.

And secondly, look at the picture I posted above. That young fellow is wearing a large, cumbersome, expensive contraption and still doing exactly what he doesn't want to be doing.

#195948 - 11/24/16 01:03 PM Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent [Re: 82Boat69]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 71/m/IL
Hey Boat,
I want to thank you on this Thanksgiving Day. You got me to look into this dual angle stuff. I bought a Storm Code Black and had it drilled up yesterday. Talked with my PSO and provided some parameters that he agreed should work for me pretty well. I need as much help as I can get. So the drilling angle was around 50 and the VAL angle around 30 with a strong pin to PAP. Nice!
It took me a while to get used to this, but rolled a 264 in game 2. Had plenty of hold to the left and a strong move to the pocket once it hit the backend. It worked perfect.
Regarding gloves we had a team from high school and our team name was "The Gloves". We all bought Don Carter models back then. A few years ago I bought the Mongoose lifter and it let me know that I was letting my wrist bend back. It also helped me to learn to use my fingers quickly. I seldom use it at all now, but I've at times used Steel Fingers as I have developed some arthritis in my finger tips. Changed to reverse pitch in the fingers and that helps a lot.
Again, thanks for guiding me to look more carefully at the dual angle method. smile

#195951 - 11/24/16 05:07 PM Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent [Re: djp1080]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
I carry a Robby's glove in my bag, but only when I get a pain in the center of my wrist. Since I began unhinging at the bottom of my swing like New Hui Fen, I haven't had to use it.

I'm very surprised by how relaxing my arm, wrist and hand during my delivery has helped my game. More speed and more RPM's with less effort.

That would be the number 1 recommendation I would give to anyone over 50 struggling with speed or rev's. Just learn to relax.

#195954 - 11/24/16 10:40 PM Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent [Re: champ]
mrthang Offline
Junior

Totally agree my friend. I misconceived for a very very long time. I regret for that!

#195955 - 11/24/16 10:51 PM Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent [Re: 82Boat69]
mrthang Offline
Junior

But people with glove have a great consistency, buddy. I have to admit that, like they have a machine arm.

#195956 - 11/24/16 11:39 PM Re: A closer look at hook release of Marshall Kent [Re: 82Boat69]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

Originally Posted By: 82Boat69
That would be the number 1 recommendation I would give to anyone over 50 struggling with speed or rev's. Just learn to relax.

Recommend it to any bowler, period. Its a fundamental of bowling; if you want good consistent results, and you don't want to get injured, you need a ball that fits your hand allowing you not to squeeze or use muscle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 02:32 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 09/23/18 10:56 AM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 09/12/18 08:37 AM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 09/07/18 04:48 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 09/05/18 04:25 PM
Off-Spot Rule and Pinspotter Operation Question
by BOSStull - 09/01/18 06:43 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.