BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195855 - 11/10/16 10:46 PM Re: How to make use of Hybrid coverstock bowling balls [Re: 82Boat69]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
Originally Posted By: 82Boat69
Can the same ball drilled 2 different ways have 2 different reactions, despite ball surface and lane surface?

This immediately reminded me of this video. I hope posting it here is not an issue as I know that the website associated with the video has a url that is banned by the forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPJSmtr75Ts

It shows what you are talking about with only changes in x-hole location.

Mark

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#195856 - 11/10/16 11:04 PM Re: How to make use of Hybrid coverstock bowling balls [Re: Mkirchie]
82Boat69 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 71/M/California
"But, in reality, do minor layout variations make any practical difference in ball motion?"

From your video, it would appear minor layout variations can make a difference in ball motion. Was that your intention?

#195859 - 11/11/16 02:09 AM Re: How to make use of Hybrid coverstock bowling balls [Re: Mkirchie]
mrthang Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 29/m/Vietnam
THanks Mkirchie. I am figuring out my benchmark ball. I think i should be a hybrid coverstock one. I am thinking of 'Lock' as my next coming ball.

#195860 - 11/11/16 02:12 AM Re: How to make use of Hybrid coverstock bowling balls [Re: 82Boat69]
mrthang Offline
Junior

I live in Saigon where we have quite a lot of bowling lane. I know all the place you were wink These are some best bowling lane in Saigon Vietnam. You can have a look:

http://blog.happybowlers.com/review-san-bowling-dream-game-tan-phu-tai-sai-gon/

http://blog.happybowlers.com/review-bowling-tai-sc-vivo-city-sai-gon-quan-7/

http://blog.happybowlers.com/bowling-tai-saigon-super-bowl-truong-son/

#195861 - 11/11/16 02:16 AM Re: How to make use of Hybrid coverstock bowling balls [Re: Joe Bowler]
mrthang Offline
Junior

Hi Joe,

You mentioned about Ball surface change. This is what i wondered for a very long time. If you use grit pad to change the surface of your bowling ball, then next time, you keep changing it, and changing it. So by the end of some time, how could you define it as a ball for which oil condition? We may get lost with that ball. I am wrong?

Edited by mrthang (11/11/16 02:17 AM)

#195862 - 11/11/16 02:29 AM Re: How to make use of Hybrid coverstock bowling balls [Re: mrthang]
82Boat69 Offline

Been to Saigon a couple of times. Lived there for 2 weeks once. Unfortunately, back then, there weren't any bowling lanes. All the places I spent time in were more easily accessed by boat than by roads. The Cau Mau was almost uninhabited. Today its a huge tourist destination. Same for Phu Quoc. Best fishing in the world :-)

#195863 - 11/11/16 06:27 AM Re: How to make use of Hybrid coverstock bowling balls [Re: 82Boat69]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
From your video, it would appear minor layout variations can make a difference in ball motion. Was that your intention?

Yeah, that's what I wanted to show. They've done a decent amount of other videos, some of them are interesting and others are plain silly.

Mark

#195867 - 11/11/16 10:12 AM Re: How to make use of Hybrid coverstock bowling balls [Re: Mkirchie]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Originally Posted By: Mkirchie

Yeah, that's what I wanted to show. They've done a decent amount of other videos, some of them are interesting and others are plain silly.

Mark

Drilling what appears to be 1-1/4 inch wide by 3 inch deep hole is not what I would consider a minor layout variation. That has the potential to alter the core shape and drilled Diff/Int. Diff.

On the other hand, varying Pin to PAP distance between the 3 to 5 inch range, especially on an asymmetrical ball, and VAL and Drilling angles by 5 to 20 degrees, are what I would consider minor variations that generally produce negligible differences, especially compared to sanding the ball one grit level rougher/smoother.

The guys that produced the video are interesting alright. They put together a different video suggesting location of the CG doesn't matter, then asked USBC to repeat the experiment with their throwbot. When they didn't like the results, they created a third video throwing the balls on concrete until one broke in half. All of these were a different company's balls, that had previously produced a video suggesting CG location (positive/negative side weight) does matter, and an attempt to discredit them. The way I see it, it's all politics and advertising, not science.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#195868 - 11/11/16 10:20 AM Re: How to make use of Hybrid coverstock bowling balls [Re: mrthang]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Originally Posted By: mrthang
Hi Joe,

You mentioned about Ball surface change. This is what i wondered for a very long time. If you use grit pad to change the surface of your bowling ball, then next time, you keep changing it, and changing it. So by the end of some time, how could you define it as a ball for which oil condition? We may get lost with that ball. I am wrong?

Yes, surface needs to be maintained to be effective and produce the desired result for a particular lane condition.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#195870 - 11/11/16 10:51 AM Re: How to make use of Hybrid coverstock bowling balls [Re: Joe Bowler]
82Boat69 Offline

My experience is based on a very long PAP. Early flare rings are a little longer than most. Everything I throw wants to break early. For me with my speed, a 90 degree Drilling Angle won't skid much further than a 50 degree drilling angle. This would back-up what you're saying.

However, more acute drilling angles definitely cause my ball to transition much earlier, even on oilier conditions. But, I have to combine the narrower drilling angle with a shorter pin-to-PAP. That combination is what works for me.

Narrower VAL angles help, but I what I observe may not be anything other than a transition that occurs sooner and a little quicker.

My experience may be anecdotal. But, I can throw the same ball on the same lane and with one see skid and hook, but roll is almost non-existent. With the other ball, I see all 3 phases clearly.

Two Storm 'Locks', 50 x 5 x 50 and 45 x 4 x 35 react very different for me.

shorter skid,

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - Today at 12:48 AM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:08 AM
Bowling Ball Hall of Fame
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:03 AM
2019 Summer Leagues
by champ - 07/09/19 12:23 AM
2019 USBC Open Championship's Las Vegas
by champ - 07/09/19 12:12 AM
So the 3-unit oil rule is dead.
by wronghander - 06/24/19 11:47 PM
tennis elbow
by TheDemolitionMan - 06/24/19 10:34 AM
Creative Bowling Solutions Power Finger Grips
by MNsportsfan - 06/24/19 09:20 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.