BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195778 - 11/01/16 01:08 AM Re: Hook style really the most effective way to bowl? [Re: mrthang]
mrthang Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 29/m/Vietnam
Moreover Have you guys watch the final match of 2016 QubicaAMF Men Final Match? https://www.facebook.com/happybowlersdotcom/videos/1791673371114390/

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#195781 - 11/01/16 11:40 AM Re: Hook style really the most effective way to bowl? [Re: mrthang]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
I don't think anyone is saying that the style is invalid (or I would nope not) just as few, if anyone, now say that 2-handed is a "bad" style of play.

I don't see it delivering much power to the pins, though. That guy did put a decent amount of speed on the ball, but not much power to the pins - with that style it looks like it's all about deflection, not power.

That's fine.

I do wonder how well it would translate to other oil patterns.

I prefer to bowl with a more "tweener" style that lets me bowl (sorta decently) on nearly all patterns. But that's preference. smile

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#195787 - 11/02/16 12:01 AM Re: Hook style really the most effective way to bowl? [Re: mmalsed]
mrthang Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 29/m/Vietnam
I think all styles have pro and cons. Spinner style player know that they can easily leave 5 pin. So many of them have to push the ball deep and far so that the ball is not deflected to the side.

But on a blinded oil pattern, spinner style has less risk than hook. In the monthly league where I bowl, event holder does not let bowler to practice a few frames before the semi-final or final match. They re-oil the pattern and we have to jump in to compete. You see how risky hook players have to play.

I am hook player and I have to improve my oil recognition system over and over to compete under these format. The faster I recognize the oil the higher the score I have.

Edited by mrthang (11/02/16 12:02 AM)

#195789 - 11/02/16 10:29 AM Re: Hook style really the most effective way to bowl? [Re: mrthang]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
Quote:
I don't think anyone is saying that the style is invalid (or I would nope not) just as few, if anyone, now say that 2-handed is a "bad" style of play.

You need to remember why these style's started.
Spinner = over oiled lanes.
2-handed = little kid could not hold the ball with one hand.
When it comes to knocking down pins, it's what ever works (within the rules) But what works for one may not work for you.

Quote:
looks like it's all about deflection, not power.

Yep,and when it works it's a "pin blender"

Quote:
You see how risky hook players have to play.

I've herd it said, "straighter is greater"

Quote:
The faster I recognize the oil the higher the score I have.

A game of adjustments

JOE

#195795 - 11/02/16 11:58 AM Re: Hook style really the most effective way to bowl? [Re: mrthang]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
^^ This

I've actually never gone into a situation where I actually knew the oil pattern. Even at Nats, while I "knew" . . . I didn't actually KNOW. LOL

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.