BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195681 - 10/24/16 01:32 AM Hook style really the most effective way to bowl?
mrthang Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 29/m/Vietnam
Dear folks,

I have an interesting story. Most of you guys from the western countries only know bowling with straight ball or hook ball. But in Asia, especially in my country, Vietnam, there many many bowlers using Spinner style or UFO style bowling like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfuXQsbmlyc

The reason why as I know so far is that because the lane oiling condition and lane maintaining in our country is so bad that bowlers tend to use spinner style to minimize the risk and get high score. Hook bowlers seem to struggle a lot when lane oiling is so poor and especially we don't know what oil pattern we are bowling on in advance.

and in reality, spinner styles can beat hook style though they don't care about the 6 degree fundamental of hook. They just throw and strike. And currently the Champion of QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup 2016 - Men is a Spinner! - http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622328082

So does it make you think of hook is not an optimal style to bowl? And when the lane is so awful that you can not get 9 with a hook shot, do you think you should switch to straight ball and throw a bullet?

I am eager to know your opinions.

P/S: I am a hook bowler

Edited by mrthang (10/24/16 01:34 AM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#195684 - 10/24/16 08:06 AM Re: Hook style really the most effective way to bowl? [Re: mrthang]
82Boat69 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 71/M/California
When I first started bowling I threw a similar back-up ball off the left corner even though I was right-handed. My ball carried equally well on either side. My hand was never in the position in the video but the ball did spin more than roll. Today, if the shot goes away completely, I have an old Columbia 'Blue Dot' that I fire away with off the right corner. Except for the release, the bowler in the video has classic form.

Send the video to USBC and have them see if E.A.R.L. can duplicate it. Maybe there's a way to shoot sport shots after all.

#195687 - 10/24/16 10:16 AM Re: Hook style really the most effective way to bowl? [Re: mrthang]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
If the UFO spinner style of bowling is unaffected by the oil pattern, that would seem to be an advantage when the oil pattern is difficult. But, what about the other times? In my opinion, once a shot is grooved, the hook style is hard to beat.

For example, if the UFO spinner bowler averaged 220 on the U.S. Open pattern, that would likely do very well. But, what if the pattern was Cheetah, and the scoring pace was 240 instead? The same 220 average for the UFO spinner bowler could not keep up with the pace.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#195688 - 10/24/16 10:27 AM Re: Hook style really the most effective way to bowl? [Re: Joe Bowler]
82Boat69 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 71/M/California
Since ball surface and lane surface play such an important roll in ball motion, how much ball surface comes in contact with the lane on each revolution seems to be the main factor. A spinner that never rolls will probably suffer on oily lanes but might do best on drier lanes. That assumes some flare occurs.

The ball in the video looked like urethane or hard rubber. Is it even possible to drill a reactive resin ball to stay on it's axis and spin without flaring?

#195689 - 10/24/16 10:32 AM Re: Hook style really the most effective way to bowl? [Re: mrthang]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
Mr.Thang,
Quote:
western countries only know bowling with straight ball or hook ball

Not true, if fact on this site under,
Beginner Help,
Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style,
you will find 15 pages of discussion on it.

From what I know of Asia lanes, is that they over oil the lanes,
so to overcome the heavy oil, the UFO style emerged.

First light balls, about 10#
plastic, Hi-polished
No core/pancake
stand left of center(20 board)
release = thumb-down, spin ball off thumb, by turning wrist, and waving by to the ball with your fingers.
Aim for head pin.
you get so much spin on the ball it creates a lot of pin action, and messengers.

I have seen studies that show the striking potential, of this from head pin, to left and right 1/2 & 1/3 pocket, with about the same results.

It works, I have done it.

JOE

#195709 - 10/25/16 08:54 AM Re: Hook style really the most effective way to bowl? [Re: mrthang]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
hard to see, but, does that kid have a fingertip grip? I wonder why?
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#195717 - 10/25/16 06:02 PM Re: Hook style really the most effective way to bowl? [Re: Dennis Michael]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
Quote:
does that kid have a fingertip grip? I wonder why?

Yep,and the why is, spin.

At the release your thumb is down,pointing at the floor,six o'clock.

With a wide fingertip grip and a lot of wrist you spin the ball off your thumb.(you need a looser thumb hole)

Try it sometime,you will not believe the "mix master" you get, it's not the deck clearing strike your used to, I have even had pins fly back out onto the lanes.

It is very hard on the wrist.

JOE

#195769 - 10/31/16 02:42 PM Re: Hook style really the most effective way to bowl? [Re: mrthang]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Just hard to believe coming out of the ball with fingers on top and thumb below, especially with a finger tip. Gotta be hard on the wrist?

PS: Do I wear my wrist brace upside down?

Edited by Dennis Michael (10/31/16 02:43 PM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#195775 - 11/01/16 12:44 AM Re: Hook style really the most effective way to bowl? [Re: Dennis Michael]
mrthang Offline
Junior

That's why they only use 11lbs bowling ball my dear

#195777 - 11/01/16 12:55 AM Re: Hook style really the most effective way to bowl? [Re: Joe Bowler]
mrthang Offline
Junior

logical explanation Joe! I can't agree more. Thanks buddy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.