BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195365 - 10/06/16 04:52 AM Re: Aiming [Re: 82Boat69]
wbw910 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 47/M/Tx
I run my own Pro Shop out of my home and you can make a few bucks if you know what your doing. I'm professionally trained from going to Vincennes University's Bowling Lanes Management program.It also helps if you have access to wholesalers such as classic or ace mitchell.I offer about half price for any labor and almost cost for grips,slugs etc.,balls slightly more,although if brought to me it's 20 drilled,35 plugged and drilled.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#195368 - 10/06/16 10:24 AM Re: Aiming [Re: 82Boat69]
RGR Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 62/m/Ontario
Well everything I practised went down the drain yesterday during league play. Threw first couple balls good, decided to try a ball I haven't used for awhile out, even though it felt okay, stuck on my thumb, up in the air into the gutter 2 feet from foul line, could not get it out of my head the rest of the series. Timing armswing lousy footwork it was all bad after that. Really depressed.

#195369 - 10/06/16 10:49 AM Re: Aiming [Re: RGR]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
First question, are all your balls drilled the same? If not, you need to get a copy of your fitting specifications so that whenever you buy or re-drill a ball, they're always pretty close to being the same.

Before league, whether my thumb has swollen or shrunken, I have a baggie with some EZ-Slide in it. I stick my thumb in the bag, twist it around a little, stick it in my balls and make sure my balls can spin freely around my thumb. It keeps me from hanging up, but more importantly it keeps me from face-planting :-)

I have the same pre-game routine for the approaches for the same reason. I step back, take a run up and make sure I can slide on the left, in the center and on the right. I also inspect visually the entire approach. Better to find problems with my eyes than my feet.

Being a former employee who mostly cleaned, I pick up all the loose crap I find and look for stuff that may have been spilled back in the area where everyone is sitting, drinking and eating. I don't leave anything to chance.

My experience was the polar opposite of yours. I came out trying to remain as relaxed and well balanced as possible and ended up shooting a ton for 4 straight games. I also do all the score-keeping.

#195370 - 10/06/16 11:41 AM Re: Aiming [Re: RGR]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
RGR - yep, that can get in your head.

82Boat is absolutely right - make sure you either have your fitting specs or that your Pro Shop has them and is always the same.

I recently went in because my White Dot felt different - but he measured it and it was drilled the same - except that the thumb hole was way flared. He removed it and put a new one in with way less flare and, bingo, feels the same as the others. Makes it much easier to throw (have only missed 1 or 2 10-pins since. smile )

Practice a short memory! I know that sounds strange, but focus on THIS ball.

My left knee is shot. I wear a heavy duty brace and get cortisone until it's time for a new one. Now and again, I will put down my slide foot on the outside of the sole and it will stick - and I have to focus on forgetting about it next time. Focus on sliding FLAT. Slide FLAT. Slide FLAT. That goes into my little mantra as I deliver. smile

I also have a thumb plug in my box - just a plug that's drilled a touch too small. When my thumb starts swelling or anything, I will jam my thumb in there and play with it a bit. . . helps keep my thumb the right size.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#195373 - 10/06/16 02:37 PM Re: Aiming [Re: mmalsed]
RGR Offline
Bracket Donor

Yep all balls drilled the same. It felt okay, I tried the thumb felt okay. Do not know what happened. Of course everyone was asking me "How do I go about throwing a ball like that" That did not bother me. The sticking thumb just took over the whole 3 games 167-150-141. I totally self destructed.

#195387 - 10/07/16 11:58 AM Re: Aiming [Re: RGR]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Yep - I feel your pain, there.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#195389 - 10/07/16 12:20 PM Re: Aiming [Re: mmalsed]
Rocket Jr Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 18/M/Ohio
I know all about thumb sticking, my summer average is 20 pins lower then fall winter due to profusely sweating hands. I have tried everything you can imagine to keep my thumb dry but every once in awhile the sweat from my thumb and my slug decide they want to be together forever lol. I even tried turbo tape that you wear on your thumb but the sweat just lets it roll off after a couple of throws.

#195397 - 10/08/16 12:45 PM Re: Aiming [Re: RGR]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
you should try Ron C's Magic Carpet!

http://www.bowl4fun.com/magiccarpet/magiccarpet.htm
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#195405 - 10/10/16 09:56 AM Re: Aiming [Re: 82Boat69]
RGR Offline
Bracket Donor

Going out to practise this afternoon. Going to see if I can put Humpty Dumpty back together again. I will see.

#195407 - 10/10/16 10:09 AM Re: Aiming [Re: RGR]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
I'll be practicing this morning too. The first thing I plan to work on is starting with my head over my swing-plane and keeping it there. Last Tuesday in league I was able to do that successfully.

By starting in that position, my upper body angle is correct and my spine tilt is also correct. I was able to hit my target over and over with a relaxed swing. Shot a ton in league. 1,002 for 4 games. I haven't even shot 900 in 3 months.

Committing my changes to muscle memory is where I'm at. It's taken between 2-3 months. It hasn't always been pretty. Hang in there.
Stay disciplined.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Today at 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.