BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195193 - 09/24/16 08:15 PM Re: Approach [Re: 82Boat69]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 72/m/IL
I've talked with Steve a couple of times as I had some problems with the Mongoose Lifter. Mine wore out very quickly and he replaced it for me. I ended up using some stuff called Fray Check and dabbed it on the worn materials which helped a lot. The problem was that the straps that keep the device in place were rubbing on one another and wore the material badly. Steve was kind enough to send me a new one once I sent him the original one. I bought a new one, too, but seldom use it any more. The lifter got me in the habit of rolling the ball better with more finger action. I struggled with turning my hand over, but I haven't done that for a while now. Guess I'm getting smarter in my old age...

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#195194 - 09/24/16 08:18 PM Re: Approach [Re: 82Boat69]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

Yes, accuracy with less effort is the key!

#195195 - 09/24/16 09:11 PM Re: Approach [Re: djp1080]
82Boat69 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 71/M/California
Every so often I choose to throw 14 pounds instead of 15. When I do, I have a bad habit of over-turning the ball. Not because I need to, but just because I can :-) It always causes a little pain dead-center in the middle of my right wrist. I wear my Robby's for a few days and then put it away again. I also roll the ball much better with a glove. I probably should use one all the time, but don't.

#195196 - 09/24/16 09:48 PM Re: Approach [Re: RGR]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

Which Robby's wrist device do you have?
I've used a 16 lb. ball since high school days. When I got back into the sport, I bought all 16 lb. gear until about 18 months ago. Anything new is 15 lbs., but my Hy-Road, Lights Out and Byte are 16 lbs. They all feel great and roll well.

#195198 - 09/25/16 02:52 AM Re: Approach [Re: djp1080]
82Boat69 Offline

The only info that I can find calls it a 'PLUS'. It has a longer wrist support than the others but still has the bent metal that forms to the palm.

#195199 - 09/25/16 07:48 AM Re: Approach [Re: djp1080]
RGR Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 62/m/Ontario
I agree I do not slide much. Broke my foot a couple of years ago, and because of the type of break it did not heal properly, balance on that foot has been a problem. During my next practice I will try some of every one thoughts and keep you posted.

#195201 - 09/25/16 09:56 AM Re: Approach [Re: 82Boat69]
RGR Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 62/m/Ontario
I use a wrist support because of a little arthritis in the wrist, use to play a lot of tennis when I was younger. So it looks like I'm going to have to reconstruct my approach. Looks like tough sailing ahead.

#195202 - 09/25/16 10:47 AM Re: Approach [Re: RGR]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

You're making feel like a very lucky guy. I broke a bone just above the ankle while I was in the Navy. They took good care of me. Was in a car accident many years ago and got bounced around quite a bit. Limped from that for quite a while. Other than that I'm doing well.
Sorry to hear about your foot and wrist.
The Mongoose products are probably the best for wrist support and they can help get your fingers in the right position as long as you don't turn your hand in the process. Keep your fingers under the ball throughout the swing and at the release point with your thumb facing towards the wall on the right. Try keeping elbow joint facing towards the pins or in other words don't turn your arm and chicken wing it.
There are two drills that I think I've mentioned before which can get your body used to better releases. One is the foul line drill and the other is the one step drill.
On your set up its recommended to stagger your feet a bit so that your in a more open stance (i.e., your left shoulder is slightly ahead of your ball side shoulder). When you get set up this way, stay that way throughout your approach so that your head and shoulders don't bounce around. Stay relaxed.
Hope this helps...

#195203 - 09/25/16 11:05 AM Re: Approach [Re: RGR]
82Boat69 Offline

Not at all. Your approach is fine. You just need a slight timing adjustment and a little more athletic starting position.

Even if both feet are side by side pointing straight down the lane, your upper torso should be slightly open. In that position, if you just flex your knees slightly and bend at the waist slightly, you'll be in the correct position.

The best bowling approach is one where the bowler walks one foot in front of the other. Many will say that the 3rd step of 5 should go left, but it's really not necessary unless you plan to shoot 4th arrow a lot.

The most important step is step number 2. Your ball timing and that step are what really get you off to a good start. First, that steps needs to cross-over your body and go in front of step 1. Just before the heel of that step touches the approach, your ball should fall backwards into the empty space taking that step has created. This will insure you avoid hitting your leg/hip on the way back.

As the ball falls back into it's swing slot under your shoulder, it should end up slightly left of your right shoulder. If the ball ends up too far behind you, you'll want to close up your upper-torso starting position slightly.

Here's a difficult point. You need to adjust your timing so that the ball is allowed to freely swing back and up to its full height. You need to be patient and you must remain relaxed. Any attempt you make to abbreviate your back-swing will begin a cascade of events that will ruin your delivery.

If you tighten any part of your right arm, every muscle from your hand to your shoulder, neck and back will also tighten. This will then force your forward swing to start at the top of your body instead of with your legs.

If you can stay relaxed, your lower body will continue to move forward while your upper body is at it's apex. From your perspective, you may feel like you're experiencing a little hang-time in your back-swing. That's good. Now, as the ball begins to fall forward all you need to do is create a solid fulcrum with your legs. This is what allows you to post up and deliver the shot on target. Done properly, you'll generate more speed and more leverage without any effort at all.

This simple change to my delivery has added almost 2 MPH to my ball speed. Enough that I've gone back to 15 pounds and its forced me to change some spare lines because I can sail my ball through my old break-points if I'm not careful.

What I describe is not a wholesale change to your approach. It's a slight change in starting position, a slight change in timing and staying relaxed.

Here's a video showing the best in the game doing what I've described.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5nnDbV0znE

#195204 - 09/25/16 11:11 AM Re: Approach [Re: djp1080]
82Boat69 Offline

I was in the Navy too. What was your rating? I was on Navy Swiftboats during Vietnan, hence 82boat69 :-)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:21 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by champ - 07/22/19 05:30 PM
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - 07/21/19 07:26 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.