BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195101 - 09/15/16 03:57 PM Kegel "Winding road"
bowlingmole Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 54/m/Ca
I am in a league that is laying down Kegel "Winding road" and "Highway to hell" patterns. Does anyone have any advice on playing either one?

Third year bowler
Lefty
180 average
Stroker
Bowling in a sport league 200+ bowlers (Yep, over my head again dang!)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#195102 - 09/15/16 04:32 PM Re: Kegel "Winding road" [Re: bowlingmole]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
First, lower your expectations. Sport patterns are the most challenging. Look for a 20 pin drop in average if you're over 210.

Sport patterns reward good spare shooters. If you're not a good spare shooter, become one.

What makes a typical house shot so easy is the lane has lots of oil in the middle and less and less outside down lane. Shots pulled, hang in the oil and still strike and shots thrown wide, are helped by the lane back to the pocket.

Sport shots have no such help. Shots pulled left will continue left. Shots thrown too far right will recover but usually too late resulting in 'buckets' and washouts.

Because sport shots have so little oil down lane, aggressive balls are more problematic if you don't have enough speed to keep them from hooking too much or flaming-out, go with a less aggressive ball.

Also, avoid balls with short pin-to-PAP distances in the 3-3/8 inch range. I've had success with axis-weight balls and balls with long pin-to-PAP distances combined with wider VAL (vertical axis line) angles.

Down and in bowlers struggle, but if you can move your whole shot left, go down the 10 or 12 and keep the ball to the right with speed, you have a good shot of getting close a lot more often.

Finally, depending on how many are on both teams, sport patterns get pretty squishy after a game or 2. Carry down will make the shot spotty based on where everyone is shooting.

A person really needs to know their own game, their own ball reaction and they need to stay disciplined. Don't expect too much. Don't make too many mistakes inside or outside. Pick up your spares.

I've been averaging over 200 for almost 50 years, but I consider myself a lifetime 187. That's what I average on a tough shot, not a THS. On sport patterns, I'm about a 187.

#195108 - 09/16/16 11:31 AM Re: Kegel "Winding road" [Re: bowlingmole]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Originally Posted By: bowlingmole
I am in a league that is laying down Kegel "Winding road" and "Highway to hell" patterns. Does anyone have any advice on playing either one?
Third year bowler
Lefty
180 average
Stroker
Bowling in a sport league 200+ bowlers (Yep, over my head again dang!)

quick bit of advice:

1. slow your shot down. I have the tendency (and most bowlers I know) to try to force the ball to work. The ball is going to work how it's going to work. Let it. smile Work with it. The more you try to force it, the worse it's going to do its job.

2. Don't be afraid to go direct. With a sport shot, you may not be able to swing it at all. Down and in - "straighter is greater" - this may mean go down the outside and funnel in, or it may mean going down more inside.

3. Practice your straight spares. Especially going left.

Most of all - have FUN with it. smile It'll be a huge challenge so enjoy it and don't get discouraged. Ask the guys around you who seem to be both closer to your style (don't ask the crankers when you're a stroker and vice versa) and who are successful.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#195111 - 09/16/16 11:15 PM Re: Kegel "Winding road" [Re: bowlingmole]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
Learn the patterns - http://majorpinaction.blogspot.com/2014/02/6-kegel-sport-patterns.html

Then use the pattern exit point -31 rule for all sports shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w62JZe_rBmk

If there is more than 26 Volume of Oil then the lanes will play straighter . Just a general rule.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - 12/14/18 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.