BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195078 - 09/14/16 10:45 AM Too Much Ball Cleaner?
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
After every shot I wipes my ball, with a damp cloth of home brew ball cleaner, (50/50 simple green & alcohol).
Well the manager of the lanes, told me that I leave black marks on the lanes, and I should not be doing that. stop

He said I'm throwing a "different" ball each time.

I think by a wipe off each time I'm throwing the same ball each time. ideaDo I need to make shure it's dry each time?
But now I'm thinking, seeingstars If I'm leaving black marks on the lane,is this wearing out my ball? Is this soft cover stock being transferred to the lane? shocked
What do you think? help

Also the auto correct is changing the word wipes to wipes for some reason so try to ignore the bad grammar.

Edited by W9JAB (09/14/16 10:50 AM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#195079 - 09/14/16 10:51 AM Re: Too Much Ball Cleaner? [Re: W9JAB]
82Boat69 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 71/M/California
Here's the list of USBC approved products for use anytime;

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net/...aner_polish.pdf

The combination you're using isn't on this list.

Edited by 82Boat69 (09/14/16 10:56 AM)

#195081 - 09/14/16 12:26 PM Re: Too Much Ball Cleaner? [Re: 82Boat69]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

82Boat69,
yep, I know about the approved products for use anytime and I have used some of them, but the question is every time too much?

Could I be softening up the cover stock by using a ball cleaner before every shot? and is that's why I'm leaving black marks on the lane?

And is it necessary to use a cleaner before each shot? or just wipes the ball off with a dry towel to remove the excess oil?

#195082 - 09/14/16 12:53 PM Re: Too Much Ball Cleaner? [Re: W9JAB]
82Boat69 Offline

How clean you want your ball between shots is a personal preference. Wiping excess lane oil off between shots is about all you need. It will give you the consistency you want and keep your equipment from soaking up too much lane oil. If you clean your equipment after bowling with your home-brew, that's about all you need to keep your equipment in good shape.

Personally, I never wipes after a shot. I want as much oil as I can get on each shot. That's my preference. I don't want the lanes to break down any sooner than they need to. I have a PAP over 6 inches. That means I get a lot of ball on the lane every revolution. The sooner the lanes break down, the sooner I begin to have control issues.

If you think about all the variables of each shot, excess lane oil on your ball is probably the least of your worries. A fluctuation in speed or RPM's will wipes out any perceived advantage of a clean ball at release.

#195083 - 09/14/16 01:13 PM Re: Too Much Ball Cleaner? [Re: W9JAB]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 72/m/IL
What ball is leaving black marks on the lanes?
The owner says that you're using different balls each time you roll a ball.
How many balls are you taking to the lanes? Which ones leave black marks?

I have an old Brunswick Black Beauty which is over 50 years old and it doesn't leave black marks on the lanes I bowl on.
I have an old Brunswick LT-48 soft rubber ball as well and it doesn't leave black marks on the lanes either.
Many of my newer gear are colored dark and they don't leave black marks on the lanes.
Sorry! I'm confused... Please explain...

#195084 - 09/14/16 01:40 PM Re: Too Much Ball Cleaner? [Re: W9JAB]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Yeah - if your ball is leaving black marks on the lane, you have other issues, my friend! smile

I generally will wipe off my ball if I throw it through the oil (generally after a spare shot that used the oil)

And I will actively CLEAN my ball if we're bowling on one of "those" lanes that leave gunk all over my ball - you know the pair, right? Seems that every house has a pair or more that do that. It's not so much that it'll affect my ball (unless it's in the track) but I hate picking up a gunky ball. smirk

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#195086 - 09/14/16 06:36 PM Re: Too Much Ball Cleaner? [Re: W9JAB]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

livid BLACK MARKS MATTER livid

Quote:
How clean you want your ball between shots is a personal preference. Wiping excess lane oil off between shots is about all you need.

grin That's good advice.

Quote:
What ball is leaving black marks on the lanes?

LT-48 (NEW)
Quote:

How many balls are you taking to the lanes?

just the one
Quote:
different balls each time you roll a ball.

what he meant was by wiping down the same ball
before each shot, the ball will act like a different ball each time.

Quote:
Many of my newer gear are colored dark and they don't leave black marks on the lanes.
Sorry! I'm confused... Please explain...
Yeah - if your ball is leaving black marks on the lane, you have other issues, my friend! smile

I'm only going by what he said,thinking the cleaner may be making the cover-stock soft,as I loft the ball out a bit, I guess it could leave a mark. undecided

Quote:
And I will actively CLEAN my ball if we're bowling on one of "those" lanes that leave gunk all over my ball - you know the pair, right? Seems that every house has a pair or more that do that. It's not so much that it'll affect my ball (unless it's in the track) but I hate picking up a gunky ball. smirk

What I will do next time is just use a dry towel, between shots to remove the excess, and the cleaner at the end of the day.
I will see how that works out. thumbsup

Edited by W9JAB (09/14/16 06:38 PM)

#195087 - 09/14/16 07:11 PM Re: Too Much Ball Cleaner? [Re: W9JAB]
82Boat69 Offline

Here's another recommendation. When you get home from bowling, throw the towel you used to wipes your ball in the wash. Too many just use the same towel over and over. Lane oil does not evaporate from a towel stuffed in a bowling bag pocket. After a couple of times, all you'll do is smear what's on your ball to another place on the same ball :-)

#195091 - 09/14/16 11:32 PM Re: Too Much Ball Cleaner? [Re: W9JAB]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 72/m/IL
The USBC has a listing of products that are authorized for cleaning bowling balls that's been posted on this forum many times.
Having seen articles on softening coverstocks it seems that acetone used to be used on plastic balls many years ago. Not sure that that chemical would cause any softening of your ball's cover. Since you're not using anything that strong, it's doubtful that it's weakening or softening the cover on your ball.
To make your lane owner happy cut out the lofting and find another line to play on the lane instead. smile

#195092 - 09/15/16 12:47 AM Re: Too Much Ball Cleaner? [Re: W9JAB]
82Boat69 Offline

As for black marks on the lanes, I have my doubts. Bowling balls, even the new ones are pretty hard. Even if they catch a raised screw head in a gutter or bang against metal parts of a pinsetter, they usually only get a little dinged.

On the other hand, depending on how fastidious the mechanic is where you bowl, pinsetters can become filthy. If the mechanic isn't doing his job, balls will come back with all kinds of crap on them, much of it black.

If you then toss this ball onto the lane service, if it lands on one of these spots on your ball, it might leave it on the lane.

But, because you were doing a Howard Hughes after each shot, it's very unlikely something was on your ball and then transferred to the lane.

I think the owner needs to give a better explanation with proof.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.