BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194969 - 09/06/16 09:27 PM Shoulder drop
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
I have been told on multiple occasions that I'm dropping my shoulder on bad shots. What do you guys do to avoid shoulder drop?

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs C300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs C300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Brunswick BTU Pearl
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#194970 - 09/06/16 09:34 PM Re: Shoulder drop [Re: goobee]
82Boat69 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 71/M/California
My answer may start a controversy, but there's nothing wrong with dropping your shoulder. In fact, in most modern deliveries, everyone drops their shoulders. The reason is, it allows the ball to swing back under the shoulder in a more fluid swing-slot. In the old days, dropping your shoulder was a big no-no. Today, with so many other aspects of the old classic styles, dropping one's shoulder has been proven to be better than not dropping one's shoulder. If you Google 'bowling dropping shoulder', you can read what's being said. I'm on the side that recommends dropping your shoulder.

#194971 - 09/06/16 11:07 PM Re: Shoulder drop [Re: goobee]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
Most every great shot I make is dropping the shoulder, making sure it's lower than the left shoulder. Leverage is better, accuracy is enhanced, and it's about the only way to get consistent revs on the ball.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Roto Grip All Out Show Off
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#194972 - 09/06/16 11:09 PM Re: Shoulder drop [Re: goobee]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 72/m/IL
Are you sure that your bad shots are due to dropping your shoulder?
I'm guilty of turning my hand way too early and come over the top of the ball which causes bad shots that go way left.
Generally you should get into an athletic position from the get go and keep your shoulders from moving much at all during your approach. If your shoulders are quiet, then your head will not likely move much either and you'll be able to watch your shot. You should be able to post your shot as well.
Good luck!
PS... Dropping your shoulder is usually a good thing like the boatman says.

#194973 - 09/07/16 12:17 AM Re: Shoulder drop [Re: goobee]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

3 different people have made the observation. 2 are my age and the other fairly young (30's). The usual outcome is my shot going straight or to the right with little to no recovery.

I've also been told my shoulders are a bit tense and I need to relax them more. This is another issue I'm having.

15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs C300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs C300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#194974 - 09/07/16 09:14 AM Shoulder drop that DAMM shoulder [Re: goobee]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
I knew I heard the phrase before, so a cut and paste aficionado:

As an advocate of lateral spine tilt, I created an initiative simply entitled Drop Your Damn Shoulder (DYDS) in March 2012.  Contrary to what many have been told, dropping your shoulder is an important asset to improve one’s bowling.
When you drop your shoulder, you increase your lateral spine tilt which creates more space for the swing.  When you increase the space for your swing, the ball swings more freely.  Moreover, increased side bend leads to an improved hand position in the downswing that increases the potential for a stronger release and more ball motion.  Finally, with more lean, the trail leg moves away from the body naturally increasing balance at the foul line.  Dropping your shoulder is fundamental to great bowling.

For more on the subject:
https://www.google.com/webhp?ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=bowling+drop+that+damm+shoulder

JOE

#194981 - 09/07/16 03:48 PM Re: Shoulder drop [Re: goobee]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 72/m/IL
Goobee, Whenever my shots that go pretty straight with no recovery (i.e., no hook), I have turned my hand too early and come over top of the ball. It's like a baseball pitcher throwing a knuckle ball with no spin or turn whatsoever. With today's bowling balls I've learned that you don't have to work so much to get them to hook for you and the last thing you would want to do is to turn your hand or arm to get a hook.
Perhaps you're working too hard to get the ball to hook for you and when your body thinks you're getting out of whack on an approach, it makes you want to put more into the swing than you need to which causes an excessive drop of your shoulder. Without a video of your bowling it's difficult to say. There are some on this forum that can observe a lot from a video of you and comment on what you might be doing to help...
Good luck...

#194982 - 09/07/16 05:04 PM Re: Shoulder drop [Re: goobee]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
dropping the shoulder is actually a dated term. As said, nothing wrong with it.

a deeper knee bend would be preferred to get you lower at release, so the shoulder doesn't have to drop much. But, a release closer to the floor is preferred.

this is much like opening your shoulder and closing it. That was a nono in years past too.

just watch for an excessive lean. If you can hold your balance at release, its ok.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#194985 - 09/07/16 09:21 PM Re: Shoulder drop [Re: goobee]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

Good points. It seems to happen when I am trying too hard I think. Trying to force the shot, trying to make something happen. I'm not loose for lack of a better term. It is a safe bet my body, shoulders and head are getting out of alignment.

I've tried releasing the ball down low but have never been comfortable at it. Now that I'm older and less flexible, I doubt I'll be able to transition my game in that direction. I have a bit of loft in my delivery.

I don't have many clips of myself bowling. I may have one from last year somewhere, let me see if I can find it.

15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs C300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs C300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#195066 - 09/12/16 05:10 PM Re: Shoulder drop [Re: goobee]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

Interesting, while bowling league Saturday, I felt my shoulder dropping on shots. Many of those shots were good for strikes or in the pocket. In fact, it feels more comfortable that way vs trying to stay level.

I still use the release I developed in the '80s, that is getting under the ball rather than behind it. I guess it's time for another session with my coach.

15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs C300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs C300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - Yesterday at 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.