BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194679 - 08/20/16 05:55 AM two handed bowling
steveA Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/male uk
But 2-handed bowling is NOT for everyone. If you'd like to discuss 2-handed bowling, awesome! Let's do it in its own thread.

Agreed lets start talking about it.
Watched a few 2 handers and they don't all have the same style , Troup and Belmonte come to mind.

Edited by steveA (08/20/16 06:40 AM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#194681 - 08/20/16 01:28 PM Re: two handed bowling [Re: steveA]
BrunswickKing170 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 28/m/AZ
I like two handed bowling because i do not fatigue and my thumb does not hurt. When I tried one armed my thumb hurt and I fatigued.

#194683 - 08/20/16 04:50 PM Re: two handed bowling [Re: steveA]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
Originally Posted By: steveA
Watched a few 2 handers and they don't all have the same style , Troup and Belmonte come to mind.

Shaun Maldonado comes to mind to me because he still uses his thumb. In terms of form, I feel that Belmonte has the smoothest style of the two-handed pros. To me, he is the most fluid through the skip step to the point that it is hard to tell that he skips at all. Other two-handers aren't quite as smooth during this part of the approach and I think that is where he has an advantage over them.

Originally Posted By: BrunswickKing170
I like two handed bowling because i do not fatigue and my thumb does not hurt. When I tried one armed my thumb hurt and I fatigued.

It's good to see that you found something that helps and if it works for you and you like it, stick with it and develop your two-handed style. With that said, keep in mind that neither thumb pain or fatigue after a reasonable number of games are normal for a one-handed bowler and are indicative of either fit problems or delivery problems. That way, if you ever decide to switch back to one-handed you shouldn't worry about those issues as they can be worked out. I've bowled for 27 years, all one-handed. I'm not as indestructible as I was in high school when I could bowl a ton of games in one practice session, but I can still easily bowl 6 games in one day and feel fine immediately afterwards and the next day.

Mark

#194685 - 08/20/16 06:03 PM Re: two handed bowling [Re: steveA]
BrunswickKing170 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 28/m/AZ
Thanks for your kind response
Do you think my thumb was too big or too small?
I still recommend 2 handed bowling for longer patterns as they avoid the shark crossover headaches. but 1 armed is likely better for THS

#194687 - 08/20/16 07:58 PM Re: two handed bowling [Re: BrunswickKing170]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
Hard to say what problem you had with your thumb. Maybe it was size, maybe it was the pitch of the thumb hole, maybe it was the span between the fingers and the thumb. Not really able to answer over the internet.

Personally, I fall into the two-handed is not for everyone category. I should also be a member of the no-thumb is not for everyone category, if it exists. I've tried bowling no-thumb a few times when I was younger and it just doesn't work, I don't like having to cup the ball that much in the backswing and it causes me to have a much smaller backswing than I do one-handed which kills my ball speed. I'm rev dominant as is one-handed and I see no way where it would be beneficial for me to completely revamp the way I bowl.

Mark

#194697 - 08/21/16 04:30 PM Re: two handed bowling [Re: steveA]
steveA Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/male uk
Can't say why you'd have a problem like this, but find bowling two handed less tiring. I've tried two handed and it is not for me, more effort, with both arms , harder to stay balanced. I'll stay with one handed.
When you say fatigued is it your bowling arm or an allover feeling?
The thumb sounds like a fit or release problem

#194761 - 08/22/16 11:49 AM Re: two handed bowling [Re: steveA]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
Try this,
Start by throwing the ball like a man.
Your two handed style, made famous by Belmo, was developed by him when he was too small/young to throw with one hand.
And had no one around to tell him it was wrong.
Sure you can drive a car with your feet,or pick your nose with your toe's,But that don't make it right,and even if your good at it, don't have others copy it.

#194765 - 08/22/16 12:31 PM Re: two handed bowling [Re: W9JAB]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Originally Posted By: W9JAB
Try this,
Start by throwing the ball like a man.
Your two handed style, made famous by Belmo, was developed by him when he was too small/young to throw with one hand.
And had no one around to tell him it was wrong.
Sure you can drive a car with your feet,or pick your nose with your toe's,But that don't make it right,and even if your good at it, don't have others copy it.

not really overly helpful, ham-radio-man (I'm assuming your name is your ham handle. smile ) 2-handed is a style that's here. Whether it stays or not . . . who cares? LOL It is here. I see just about the same percentage of 2-handers who suck at it vs those who are amazing (the only sanctioned 900 at our center is a 2-hander)

It isn't wrong, it just is.

And it's just as non-constructive to say it's bad as it is to say that everyone should do it. smile

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#194766 - 08/22/16 12:41 PM Re: two handed bowling [Re: BrunswickKing170]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Thanks for your kind response
Do you think my thumb was too big or too small?
I still recommend 2 handed bowling for longer patterns as they avoid the shark crossover headaches. but 1 armed is likely better for THS

Brun - when your average - and consistent average - hits deuce, then I'll have respect for it. Really - truly - I will. We have a 2-hander here who's hit a sanctioned 900. I listen to him when he breaks down patterns (and WOW . . . and then I tell him to get off my lawn, he's like 25. Damn kids! LOL)

Come on over here and I'll kick your ass on Shark with my one hand vs. your two. smile MUAHAHAHahaaaaaa.

There's a LOT more to it. Look at how few 2-handers are actually successful. You can count them on one hand. Look at how many pros are taking revs OUT (using the Sarge Easter type grip pattern) - Robert Jones being pretty famous for that back a few years ago.

The one significantly successful 2-handed bowler (being Belmo, of course) would be successful with one-hand, I believe. He is NOT successful BECAUSE of his two-handed style - he is successful because he's ridiculously good.

Can you (or any of us) put a ball (over and over) between two pins with less than 2" of space, total? No - but he can. THAT is what makes him good. He can also change his revs - which most of us struggle with. Neither of those is inherent to 2-handed bowling.

I wonder how long he'll be able to do it - only because it's a young-person's style. I can NOT bend over that far or bend my knee that low - and I'm not 50 yet. (football life in college. . .)

All of that said - I'd LOVE to see a video of you bowling. I honestly think it's fun to watch 2-handers. Couple of kids in my league bowl 2-handed and I have helped them get the ball down the lane better and get some accuracy. It's a cool style, if you have the body to do it (damn kids, get off ma lawn! LOL)

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#194769 - 08/22/16 01:42 PM Re: two handed bowling [Re: mmalsed]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
Sorry, just having a little fun at the two hander's expense.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.