BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194305 - 05/21/16 11:14 PM Knowing the oil pattern in advance
mrthang Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 29/m/Vietnam
To tell or not to tell, that's a constant question which is argued time and time again .I rely on my practice session and lane reading ability to determine the lane condition and where and how I'm going to play the lanes.

In my country, Vietnam, we bowl the weekly and monthly league without knowing the pattern. The center gives no oil pattern chart. Is it the same in your country?

If we don't know the oil graph pattern, we can only rely on 10 minutes practice before the official games to prepare the game plan. Sometimes I feel like a "lottery" bowling League to bowl like that. Please give your opinions.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#194306 - 05/22/16 09:56 AM Re: Knowing the oil pattern in advance [Re: mrthang]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 52/M/Brockton, MA
mrthang, it's really up to the individual houses (for their leagues) and tournaments, but I can also tell you that major US events such as the USBC Open Championships and Junior Gold are moving toward not disclosing the lane condition in advance.

FYI, it is possible to get a read on the lanes in just four shots. The video is available to subscribers of the USBC Bowling Academy site.

Edited by Richie V. (05/22/16 10:03 AM)
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 168 HS: 615 HG: 255
Composite avg. (w/ Sun. night sub): 170

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#194339 - 06/08/16 01:53 AM Re: Knowing the oil pattern in advance [Re: mrthang]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
In league bowling, I've never been to a center that posts their house shot. I suspect too many people would want the lanes to always play the way the chart says it should, and then whine even louder than they do when the shot is a bit different. And really, after a few weeks, you get everything figured out and you know what to do. The lanes are going to have free hold and free hook, its just a matter of finding the right starting point to get the most area and the best carry.

In tournament bowling, I always prefer to know the pattern. That's the modern sport of bowling. It gives me a game plan, a strategy, and a starting point. We all know the cliche of never being too locked into an idea, and being willing to make adjustments if the lanes don't give us what we expected, but I think in the modern sport of bowling, we need to be able to expect something. Going in blind isn't how its done anymore.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#194340 - 06/08/16 01:02 PM Re: Knowing the oil pattern in advance [Re: champ]
dalion Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 46/M/VA
And yet, next year, that's exactly what we'll be doing going into Nationals. Going into it blind, as they won't be posting the oil pattern.

For me though, it doesn't matter. With all my years of bowling, I still can't read those charts an discern how each will affect my shot, so the 5-10 min opening practice is wear I try to get a read on the lane. Which usually means I'm using game 1 to continue familiarizing myself w/ the pattern. Course as well all know, the oil will carry down and thus the pattern will change again so you've really gotta be able to read what the lane is telling you.
USBC Open: 16 consecutive years
Open Avg: 184
Open Avg last 3 years: 181
The new 2018 avg adjustment: 210
2002 Hoinke Tournament All events Champion

#194344 - 06/09/16 05:56 PM Re: Knowing the oil pattern in advance [Re: mrthang]
SteveH Online   biggrin
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
Most seem pretty happy the way scores are going at Nationals now. So I suspect the lanes next year will be the same pattern. From center to center the patterns vary anyway, just as they do depending on weather. Here we've gone from 88 degrees and humid down to 50 degrees or lower, and that's just June!

I think next year's not revealing the pattern will impact higher handicappers that bowl early, and not impact the better players in May or June, because they will already have talked to their "scouts".

I do agree with some that instead of paying attention to the patterns, they should do more coaching, and somehow reign in the equipment. But there are days I think the ball manufacturers own the USBC, and of course, proprietors cater to league bowler's egos.

I think most of the changes to nationals are rational, but they get a bit goofy with ball layouts and the rules for pros. The Open should be open to all, and play tough.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Roto Grip All Out Show Off
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#194365 - 06/15/16 05:48 PM Re: Knowing the oil pattern in advance [Re: mrthang]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
I remember an anecdote...could be apocryphal...about Norm Duke walking into the paddock at a tournament, looking at the posted pattern and saying, "That's not what I'm bowling on."
Hammer Onyx Vibe (original)
Rotogrip Winner - box
Elite Gold Label
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#195583 - 10/17/16 01:50 AM Re: Knowing the oil pattern in advance [Re: mrthang]
mrthang Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 29/m/Vietnam
Hi Guys, Thank you very much! I know what to do now! Your replies relieve me smile

#195584 - 10/17/16 08:28 AM Re: Knowing the oil pattern in advance [Re: mrthang]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I don't understand why the pattern is a secret. Our center lays the National pattern out once a week for those who go to practice on. Is that bad? The sunday morning practice session has become pretty popular.

If you ask most desk people, they don't know what the pattern is anyhow. so, you have to read the pattern.

I do know the patterns at the houses I bowl at. Only through using them. And, to tell you the truth, I won't bowl at one house because of their house pattern. My equipment and condition just don't match.

I often change equipment to bowl at different houses. Knowing in advance is convenient.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#195602 - 10/17/16 11:15 PM Re: Knowing the oil pattern in advance [Re: mrthang]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I'd rather not fly with 8-10 balls, only to find out I left a ball at home that would work better than what I brought, so I'd like to know what I'm bowling on. The pattern is never a secret to everyone, so if some of the field knows what they're bowling on, the entire field should. Oftentimes the talent level is so evenly matched, the bowler who wins is the one who lines up first and stays lined up. Then as the pattern breaks down, knowing how to adjust to each pattern is key to staying in the lead.
A big part of the reason the tour was being dominated by 45-50 year olds a few years ago, other than the fact that they were the greatest bowlers on the planet, was because the old guard knew how each pattern was going to play, so they knew what to expect every time they shoed up. The experience they had on each pattern made them very difficult to beat.
But, with that being said, knowing the pattern and hitting the pattern are two completely different things. I've gone into many tournaments knowing what the pattern is and it didn't help me execute enough good shots to compete, and I suspect that is the case with the majority of bowlers who finished below the cut lines.

Bowl up a Storm!

#195614 - 10/18/16 04:34 PM Re: Knowing the oil pattern in advance [Re: mrthang]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Somewhere between knowing the pattern, the pattern playing as expected, and bringing the right equipment, lots of things can and often do go wrong. At least, that's my experience. I'll take whatever tips are offered regarding the pattern, length, and/or volume, but usually with a grain of salt. Some sources prove to be more reliable than others.

Regardless, I'm still going to go through the same routine to verify the ball reaction for myself. The big difference knowing the pattern in advance is how many balls to bring. I've divided up my equipment into three bags of three balls each. Unless it's a big tournament, and I have no idea of the pattern, I'm only bringing one of those bags and a spare ball.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 1 second ago
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.