BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193238 - 01/10/16 09:17 AM Where should the lane oil start?
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 63/M /Georgia
Where should the lane oil start on a sanctioned house shot?

I would assume the foul line but at my center the start of the oil is a good 12-15" from the foul line. I don't know if this is by the center's instruction or just improper lay down by the person oiling the lanes. Does anyone know what is the allowable distance from the foul line to start applying oil to be in USBC compliance for a sanctioned league?
"Let me bowl or let me die"

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#193244 - 01/11/16 01:24 PM Re: Where should the lane oil start? [Re: BOSStull]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
typically they will clean the oil off the first foot of the lane or so. This is in case of a foul - if your foot crossed the line and oil was right there, you'd screw up your shoe badly.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#193349 - 01/24/16 09:28 AM Re: Where should the lane oil start? [Re: BOSStull]
BOSStull Offline

mmalsed you are correct the reason why but I really think that during leagues it should be set to 6" not at 18". This has not always been the case in our league. Seems the distance has changed since BOWLMOR acquired Brunswick.

Here is what I found out with a little research. The center I bowl leagues at is set to 18" from the foul line . Another center I go to closer to home is set at 6. They both use the Authority lane machine. This machine has the option below from the manual:

Start Oiling
This option is used as a safety feature on the lane machine. Select a start
distance from the foul line to start conditioning, in 6 inch increments
up to 24 inches. This prevents any applying or buffing of oil within that
distance from the foul line, leaving it clean so recreational bowlers have
less tendency to track oil onto the approaches. A level 2 security ID will
allow you to set the minimum distance in the System Settings menu.
Changing the Distance from the Foul Line
at which Conditioning Starts
Go to the Pattern menu.
Select “Design” & press “OK”.
Use the left/right arrows to navigate to “Start Oiling”.
Use the up/down arrows to select the number of inches from
the foul line you want to start the conditioning operation.
NOTE:
setting
is
6".
Select
between
6",
12",
18"
and
24".
Press “exit” to save and return

Another thing I notice I am laying the ball down in this dry area. This is creating a small friction area on my balls. My thinking this has got to affect overall ball reaction loosing a little energy at the lay down point.

#193356 - 01/24/16 04:27 PM Re: Where should the lane oil start? [Re: BOSStull]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
I think the oil should go to the foul line, since current coaching is teaching folks to lay the ball down softly there, but ultimately it is a moot point. It is what it is and we have to deal with it.

Originally Posted By: BOSStull

Another thing I notice I am laying the ball down in this dry area. This is creating a small friction area on my balls. My thinking this has got to affect overall ball reaction loosing a little energy at the lay down point.

...and this is the problem. If you lay the ball down in the dry it will activate before it is useful and probably burn up its energy before you need it. I have to thump it out there pretty good to get consistent results, which is difficult to do without "hitting up" on the ball, doubly so, since that is what we were taught to do 100 years or so ago.

YMMV - mine certainly does
Hammer Onyx Vibe (original)
Rotogrip Winner - box
Elite Gold Label
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#193381 - 01/27/16 05:51 AM Re: Where should the lane oil start? [Re: 6_ball_man]
BOSStull Offline

Originally Posted By: 6_ball_man
I think the oil should go to the foul line, since current coaching is teaching folks to lay the ball down softly there, but ultimately it is a moot point. It is what it is and we have to deal with it.

...and this is the problem. If you lay the ball down in the dry it will activate before it is useful and probably burn up its energy before you need it. I have to thump it out there pretty good to get consistent results, which is difficult to do without "hitting up" on the ball, doubly so, since that is what we were taught to do 100 years or so ago.
YMMV - mine certainly does

My thoughts also 6_ball_man, thanks.

#193409 - 01/30/16 07:58 AM Re: Where should the lane oil start? [Re: BOSStull]
BOSStull Offline

I spoke to the person oiling the lanes and he said that yes since BOWLMOR took over they started oiling at 18" and he also stated BOWLMOR's policy is to start at 24". He made it sound like your Lucky we start at 18" instead of 24".

#193425 - 01/31/16 03:00 PM Re: Where should the lane oil start? [Re: BOSStull]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
I spoke to the person oiling the lanes and he said that yes since BOWLMOR took over they started oiling at 18" and he also stated BOWLMOR's policy is to start at 24". He made it sound like your Lucky we start at 18" instead of 24".

Just terrible...at the AMF/Bowlmor place I bowl at, it is 18". The privately owned center I bowl 2 leagues in, it is a much more reasonable 4".
Hammer Onyx Vibe (original)
Rotogrip Winner - box
Elite Gold Label
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#194209 - 04/30/16 09:36 AM Re: Where should the lane oil start? [Re: BOSStull]
BOSStull Offline

I am going to be be bowling at Stars and Strikes this fall which starts the oil at 4 inches. I am also going to continue to bowl at my Brunswick Zone.

I am thinking S&S will be more conducive to higher scores.

#194217 - 05/01/16 10:16 AM Re: Where should the lane oil start? [Re: BOSStull]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Thanks Boss, I didn't know about the oil start change. I also bowl at a former Brunswick house. And, have noticed scuff marks on a new ball. when I questioned the Pro Shop, I was told I probably rolled the ball on the approach side of the foul line, and the foul line mark is elevated, causing mu scuffs. I seriously doubted that.

This may be the reason, though. I usually use this ball only here, as this house doesn't have the oil for my other equipment.

This is also the same Pro Shop guy who laid out a new oil pattern mid year, as all leagues were complaining about no and short oil. He and I had words about that, as he claimed the USBC dictated that there be no oil on the back 20 feet, and it be stripped. That is so wrong. There is NO rule as such.

He grew the pattern to 38 feet and still has fewer oil units then the other houses I bowl at. I have quit 3 leagues in this house, in favor of more bowler friendly houses.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Unimportant Wood Lane Advice
by 82Boat69 - 03/01/20 02:06 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 02/29/20 01:54 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.