BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194102 - 04/14/16 11:07 AM Triangle Layout
NoThumbNoProblem Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 28/m/York, PA
I'm starting my second sport shot league this summer and was looking to fill a gap in my arsenal with a strong asymmetric. I went to my local shop and saw they had a DV8 Thug Corrupt that used to be a demo ball for only $60 including drilling. As I was talking about layouts, the PSO got a strange look on his face and asked if I wanted to try something crazy. I already knew he was talking about the triangle layout that has been getting some attention. They haven't had the chance to drill it yet and was hoping I'd be their guinea pig. If you want some basic info about the layout, check out the article on Bowling ball .com here.

I've been trying the different orientations, and they do indeed give you much different looks on the lanes. My problem is I've been trying to keep track of how each position varies, but have had conflicting results so far. I'm not sure if that is due to my finger still being hurt/cut (added bevel and tape) or if it's because it's an asymmetric. These games were also during open bowling and the lanes were probably in rough shape as well.

I was hoping I could get a bit more info on how the ball should roll in each position (pin at 12, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 o'clock) Is it possible for this layout to have consistent rolls on an asymmetric ball considering the MB is also rotating around?

Attachments
CAM01301.jpg

Edited by NoThumbNoProblem (04/14/16 11:11 AM)
Track 300c (Pearl)
Storm Tropical Breeze
Brunswick Vis-A-Ball Lizard Eye

HG: 298
HS: 778

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#194106 - 04/14/16 01:36 PM Re: Triangle Layout [Re: NoThumbNoProblem]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 55/m/Ca
Interesting concept to say the least. 3 different reactions from one ball.

I can't help answer your question but maybe you can answer mine.

1. I'm thinking of giving them thumbless style a shot. Are these balls drilled so the fingers go in to the second knuckle?

2. Was this a hard style to learn?

3. what weight ball should I start off with?

there are a couple of guys in my league who use this style and they all kill with it. They, by far, score higher than everyone.

Thanks and good luck making this ball work.

HS 805 (250, 300, 255) (non-sanctioned)
746 (267, 257, 222) (sanctioned)

#194108 - 04/14/16 02:10 PM Re: Triangle Layout [Re: BowlerBill]
NoThumbNoProblem Offline
League Bowler

1. Mine are all drilled finger-tip, but conventional is possible. Some even do one of each. Depends on what you're comfortable with. Definitely don't need to go to second knuckle.

2. Easy to learn, but tough to control until you get used to it. I only use one hand, while most others use two. Whichever way you want to do it, it's best to start learning with two hands until your forearm/wrist strength increases. Remember to roll the ball!

3. You can start with any equipment you already have in practice. As for sanctioned play, just know your thumb hole would count as a balance hole. If you only have two fingers and a thumb hole, you're good.

Be prepared for some criticism while bowling this way. Most people don't care, but I've had people who get really annoyed when I'm doing well and "challenge" my equipment or style and cause headaches for the league. Thankfully those are rare. With it being more popular, people are more accepting and there are a lot more resources you can use to improve your technique. Have fun with it.

This layout actually offers 6 different positions as you can see below. However, I've heard you'll only ever use 4 or so.

Attachments
fEOan6R.jpg

Track 300c (Pearl)
Storm Tropical Breeze

#194115 - 04/15/16 11:47 AM Re: Triangle Layout [Re: NoThumbNoProblem]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
if they don't allow as much side weight or whatever, then they're going to need to define one hole as weight hole and not allow it to be used with fingers or something. . .

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#194116 - 04/15/16 03:35 PM Re: Triangle Layout [Re: mmalsed]
NoThumbNoProblem Offline
League Bowler

Not sure exactly what you mean mmalsed, but with the center of grip being the CG, there is zero side weight in any position. As the current USBC rules stand, the only issue is not being able to use finger inserts or a hole in any other position.
Track 300c (Pearl)
Storm Tropical Breeze

#194117 - 04/15/16 06:31 PM Re: Triangle Layout [Re: NoThumbNoProblem]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Oooooh, hadn't thought of that. smile

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#194125 - 04/17/16 03:10 PM Re: Triangle Layout [Re: NoThumbNoProblem]
NoThumbNoProblem Offline
League Bowler

Now that I've had some time to shoot around with the ball a bit more, I've gotten a much better idea on how each orientation works. Keep in mind that this is on a 40' house shot and the diagrams I made are not to scale or computer generated. I just wanted to make a visual representation in paint based on my notes. I kept track of where I stood, aimed, and the shape for each orientation.

Here are my findings. I've included the shapes and what I expect I'll be using each for. Your results may vary.

Basic Notes:
12': "Toasty"- Behaves a lot like a urethane. Smooth roll, doesn't overreact, continuous. Little overall hook.
2': Short (Fresh)- Long, quicker reaction to dry
4': Long (Broken)- Reads early, smooth roll
6': Long (Fresh)- Reads early, turns hard and fast
8': "House"- Versatile. Reads a bit late, continuous, smooth. Good recovery.
10': Short (Broken)- Long, smooth roll, little hook overall.

Once they start to put out the sport patterns I can get a better feel of how they each preform.

Attachments
Triangle House Shot.png

Track 300c (Pearl)
Storm Tropical Breeze

#194154 - 04/21/16 09:12 PM Re: Triangle Layout [Re: NoThumbNoProblem]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 55/m/Ca
Originally Posted By: NoThumbNoProblem

1. Mine are all drilled finger-tip, but conventional is possible. Some even do one of each. Depends on what you're comfortable with. Definitely don't need to go to second knuckle.

2. Easy to learn, but tough to control until you get used to it. I only use one hand, while most others use two. Whichever way you want to do it, it's best to start learning with two hands until your forearm/wrist strength increases. Remember to roll the ball!

3. You can start with any equipment you already have in practice. As for sanctioned play, just know your thumb hole would count as a balance hole. If you only have two fingers and a thumb hole, you're good.

Be prepared for some criticism while bowling this way. Most people don't care, but I've had people who get really annoyed when I'm doing well and "challenge" my equipment or style and cause headaches for the league. Thankfully those are rare. With it being more popular, people are more accepting and there are a lot more resources you can use to improve your technique. Have fun with it.

This layout actually offers 6 different positions as you can see below. However, I've heard you'll only ever use 4 or so.

I threw some practice games this week. Once I was warmed up I gave this style a shot. I tried a 13 lb house ball and then ended up using one of my 15 lb balls.

I couldn't throw the ball using only one hand so I used both hands. I had to really open up in order go get the ball moving down the middle of the lane. My footwork/arm swing timing was bad, as could be expected.

The biggest problem was, I kept my arm under the ball and every shot went straight down the lane. Do you have any tips on how to work the release?

I gave up after 5 frames and reverted back to a 4 step approach. I've been using a 5 step since last summer. I had a 268 and 278 with the 4 step. I'm going to keep experimenting with this style to see if it's worthy of being an option.

Thanks, Bill

HS 805 (250, 300, 255) (non-sanctioned)
746 (267, 257, 222) (sanctioned)

#194156 - 04/22/16 10:48 AM Re: Triangle Layout [Re: BowlerBill]
NoThumbNoProblem Offline
League Bowler

The most important thing to do when you're trying to work on anything is to slow down. As you get the technique down, you can begin increasing speed. Not sure what equipment you're using, but if it's not moving at all, it could be your release or it could be where you are playing on the lane. Try moving towards the outside gutter and roll straight up 10 or so and see how it goes from there.

Remember: Your second hand is there in place of your thumb. It is not there to impart revs on the ball. Your release should be very similar to when you use your thumb.

You can also look up videos of PBA two-handers and see how they bowl and try to mimic their style.
Track 300c (Pearl)
Storm Tropical Breeze

#194201 - 04/28/16 01:13 PM Re: Triangle Layout [Re: NoThumbNoProblem]
NoThumbNoProblem Offline
League Bowler

After all of the work I put into the triangle layout, I have decided to plug and redrill the ball. The ability to tweak the way the ball hooks was amazing, but the lack of inserts (and apparently the pitch) was causing my middle finger to cut/tear. I tried all kinds of tape methods, but nothing worked for me. I would still highly recommend it to those that want to try it. For now I'll just go back to my "normal" bowling balls.
Track 300c (Pearl)
Storm Tropical Breeze

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 04:35 PM
End of Days
by explorer05 - 12:19 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.