BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193992 - 04/02/16 10:57 AM Re: 52nd Champlain International Tournament [Re: SteveH]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
Bowling team tomorrow on the fresh. This year they re-oil after doubles, ahead of teams. From what I heard, it's a bit heavy. 489 series for a 210 bowler this month. Higher-rev bowlers seem to be doing well.

I use the Storm Byte, Hy Road Pearl, and the Ride for our lighter house shot. Mostly, I gravitate to the Symmetrical balls at this house. Takes the hope for perfect shot out of the equation, and makes the transition easier. Transition starts in frame 2-3, Of The First Game:)

Tournament teams tomorrow, on a USBC White #2 pattern, different house. Lots of oil. Although I will bring the Ride in case, I have the Storm Crux and the Byte as my main balls. In this house, I'll probably use the Byte as my spare and 10-pin ball only.

In this house, I use the Vise Lift grips in the Crux. It's typically colder with less humidity here, and the ovals I normally use have my fingers swimming in them. The lifts allow my fingers to stay snug, and still be able to fit them in when they swell a bit.

I've never bowled on this surface, but looking at it, I'll probably be playing more right with my feet, better for my slower speed lower-rev style. Not my A-game for sure, and with five minutes of practice, I'll have to learn quickly.

Heading out to do some surface on the Crux today, rough it up a tad;)

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#193993 - 04/02/16 02:25 PM Re: 52nd Champlain International Tournament [Re: SteveH]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 55/m/Ca
Originally Posted By: SteveH
Bowling team tomorrow on the fresh. This year they re-oil after doubles, ahead of teams. From what I heard, it's a bit heavy. 489 series for a 210 bowler this month. Higher-rev bowlers seem to be doing well.

I use the Storm Byte, Hy Road Pearl, and the Ride for our lighter house shot. Mostly, I gravitate to the Symmetrical balls at this house. Takes the hope for perfect shot out of the equation, and makes the transition easier. Transition starts in frame 2-3, Of The First Game:)

Tournament teams tomorrow, on a USBC White #2 pattern, different house. Lots of oil. Although I will bring the Ride in case, I have the Storm Crux and the Byte as my main balls. In this house, I'll probably use the Byte as my spare and 10-pin ball only.

In this house, I use the Vise Lift grips in the Crux. It's typically colder with less humidity here, and the ovals I normally use have my fingers swimming in them. The lifts allow my fingers to stay snug, and still be able to fit them in when they swell a bit.

I've never bowled on this surface, but looking at it, I'll probably be playing more right with my feet, better for my slower speed lower-rev style. Not my A-game for sure, and with five minutes of practice, I'll have to learn quickly.

Heading out to do some surface on the Crux today, rough it up a tad;)

Good luck SteveH. Yes, add surface to the ball. Don't be afraid to put 500 on it. Straighter can be greater and result in a good entry angle. Good luck.

HS 805 (250, 300, 255) (non-sanctioned)
746 (267, 257, 222) (sanctioned)

#194013 - 04/04/16 09:10 PM Re: 52nd Champlain International Tournament [Re: SteveH]
SteveH Offline

My right shoulder is partially out. Not so much an excuse, I did bowl terribly. Not a tremendously difficult pattern, broke down in game 2 pretty well. No question it made you bowl accurately, or punished you with splits and ten pins. Enjoyed it immensely.

Just a bad effort for me. Going to get the shoulder put back in the socket this week. LOL I hate getting old.

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#194050 - 04/09/16 07:09 PM Re: 52nd Champlain International Tournament [Re: SteveH]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/NH
Bowled teams and doubles today. Our whole group struggled with the shot. It was pretty bad and didn't break down enough. If you played outside the ball went 60 feet without changing directions and if you got it outside of 5 possibly right into the channel. If you played further in around the track area the ball hooked too much. Tried several ball changes, nothing really worked too well.

Shot only 489 in teams but did improve in doubles after a 157 first game with 202 and 210 to end the day. Used my High Flare Solid l, slowed my ball speed and came around it more. Still, there was very little room for error. Had to keep it pretty straight up 8/9. A two board miss outside was a washout. There was a tad bit of hold inside.

Singles tomorrow hopefully I can make enough good shots where I can come away with a decent series to end it. Going to really be almost impossible to cash though given my 223 average.

#194052 - 04/09/16 11:12 PM Re: 52nd Champlain International Tournament [Re: SteveH]
SteveH Offline

Tough go. The weather has a bit to do with it too. You'll be on the fresh for 9 am singles, with little breakdown at all. Basically, it plays well between 7 and 12. Accuracy really counts.

We do singles and doubles next Sunday, have to get my shoulder popped in for that.

Maybe I'll buzz down the street tomorrow and watch.

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#194054 - 04/10/16 10:46 AM Re: 52nd Champlain International Tournament [Re: SteveH]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks Steve. Tried to play around the 2nd arrow this.morning and keep it straight. Also took two of my balls down to 500 before we started. Managed 200,171,185. Thought I had a decent look in game 1 but I played as tight as the lanes and didn't get comfortable. Wasn't really warmed up either. I think 5 minutes of practice is not enough for 6 on a pair. Managed enough strikes to pull out a double in the 10th. 2nd game lost my reaction. Switched to my Arson High Flare and went back to what I did yesterday. Hit pocket but couldn't carry. Game 3 I moved way outside and threw it almost straight into the pocket. Managed a late triple but a 10th frame washout ended my day.

Good luck with your shoulder and hope you do better than me next weekend.

#194055 - 04/10/16 12:19 PM Re: 52nd Champlain International Tournament [Re: SteveH]
SteveH Offline

Many of us wished we could do that pattern during league, surprisingly, many do not:)

Woke up late this morning. Not bad games today, it is very hard to find that one line there. I used my Crux, hand-sanded to 2000. It worked well, I just bowled poorly.

This pattern shows league bowlers they aren't as good as they think. With your talent, I'm sure you could adapt to it much better than myself. I need to get this old body in shape, and practice more.

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#194060 - 04/10/16 05:26 PM Re: 52nd Champlain International Tournament [Re: SteveH]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

Originally Posted By: SteveH
Many of us wished we could do that pattern during league, surprisingly, many do not:)

Woke up late this morning. Not bad games today, it is very hard to find that one line there. I used my Crux, hand-sanded to 2000. It worked well, I just bowled poorly.

This pattern shows league bowlers they aren't as good as they think. With your talent, I'm sure you could adapt to it much better than myself. I need to get this old body in shape, and practice more.

I appreciate that. I do also agree about this pattern being a reality check for league bowlers, myself included. I also need to go back and work on my game more. I do think we are spoiled sometimes by the house shot and it doesn't prepare us at all for this. For me I can stay pretty much behind it, throw it as fast as I want, and find friction all day from the outside but there even the driest boards had 240ml of oil. For the tweeners/crankers even the house shot allows them to throw it to the outside and get away with swinging it much more than they should. Gotta really work on being able to come around it more and watching my speed. Probably need to start practicing on the deeper part of the house shot and maybe work with a coach. That will help me prepare better for these tourneys.

I plan on being back next year so hopefully will see you then.

#194062 - 04/10/16 07:43 PM Re: 52nd Champlain International Tournament [Re: SteveH]
SteveH Offline

We do league there on Wednesdays. A very nice shot, they protect the outside, although lefties have it easier wink

No question I'm throwing slower there in league, and trying to be more accurate. The young guns can still fire it in and watch them spin, but it's a good shot. I need better glasses for bowling now, I find I can't really see my downlane mark anymore, not that I would ever actually hit it anyway lol

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#194127 - 04/18/16 09:05 AM Re: 52nd Champlain International Tournament [Re: SteveH]
SteveH Offline

540 singles

193/221/207 doubles for a 621

Left some pins on the lane as they say.

Crux all six games.

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - Yesterday at 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.