BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193871 - 03/18/16 05:13 PM 10 Game Scratch Tournament?
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 55/m/Ca
I found out Cal Bowl is holding a 10 game scratch tournament on March 19th. The pattern is Kegel Alcatraz.

I've bowled a couple of 8 game tournaments on sport patterns but not a 10 gamer. I was pretty worn out after 8 games both times. I believe I could have continued bowling 2 more games if necessary.

Do these extra 2 games really make a difference in how physically tired players get? (I'm 57 and not a workout junkie)

At 38 feet this pattern seems to be mid-length. There should be a lot of change in how the lanes play between G1 and G10.

Would I be better off bringing more dry lane balls or strong balls designed for oil?

I'm undecided if I'm going to bowl or not.

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by BowlerBill (03/18/16 06:42 PM)

HS 805 (250, 300, 255) (non-sanctioned)
746 (267, 257, 222) (sanctioned)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#193873 - 03/19/16 12:00 AM Re: 10 Game Scratch Tournament? [Re: BowlerBill]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
Hi Bill, I've done 7, (10 if you include the 3 league games I bowled 6 hours earlier). I had nothing left by the 7th game. It's gonna be tough, good luck if you give it a go.

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs C300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs C300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Brunswick BTU Pearl
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#193890 - 03/21/16 06:44 PM Re: 10 Game Scratch Tournament? [Re: goobee]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Hi Dan, I didn't end up going. I woke up on Saturday and didn't have any motivation to bowl the 10 games. That was the deal breaker. I would have liked the experience bowling on a sport shot. That would have been worth the price of admission alone if the tournament consisted of less games or if the final couple of games were a stepladder format. I should use this as an excuse to get in better shape. Thanks Bill

Edited by BowlerBill (03/21/16 06:45 PM)

#193893 - 03/21/16 08:58 PM Re: 10 Game Scratch Tournament? [Re: BowlerBill]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I used to bowl 10 game tournaments (we usually call them marathon so- not sure if that's a standard name for the format) a lot. The better you bowl, the easier it is to get through the number of games. If you're struggling, it can be a real grind to stay focused and get in a rhythm. It's been a while since I've bowled that many games, though.

Bowl up a Storm!

#193894 - 03/21/16 10:32 PM Re: 10 Game Scratch Tournament? [Re: BowlerBill]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
Believe it or not, I did a 15 game marathon earlier this year. modified house shot. I started out pretty confident. I played the lanes firing down 10 with a strong pearl, my Marvel Pearl. At around game 5 I ran out of room to my left and I was up against the ball return. I was still hanging tough until about game 7 or 8. Then transition did me in. The lanes were very dry and only high speed or low rev bowlers could stay competitive. After a couple of bad games, I made the adjustment and was able to add a lot of speed and still be accurate. I finished just above a 200 average. I carried a urethane thinking it would be the answer to the dry condition but it hooked too much!!!!!!! I stayed with my Lights Out and just added as much speed as I could. I looked further down lane until even that didn't work too well. I wasn't tired but my knee was hurting. Adrenaline kept me going. I basically used just two balls plus my spare. I wish I carried my tropical storm, but I thought my urethane would serve that purpose.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#193897 - 03/22/16 01:01 AM Re: 10 Game Scratch Tournament? [Re: Fin09]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: Fin09
I used to bowl 10 game tournaments (we usually call them marathon so- not sure if that's a standard name for the format) a lot. The better you bowl, the easier it is to get through the number of games. If you're struggling, it can be a real grind to stay focused and get in a rhythm. It's been a while since I've bowled that many games, though.

Marathon is a good nickname for a tournament this long. By striking often you can cut down the number of shots by a substantial number. My problem is, I don't strike a lot when playing the sport shot patterns. Having never bowling on this one, I didn't know what to expect. you bring up a good point regarding the mental part of bowling. Thanks.

#193898 - 03/22/16 01:09 AM Re: 10 Game Scratch Tournament? [Re: Smooth Stroker]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: Smooth Stroker
Believe it or not, I did a 15 game marathon earlier this year. modified house shot. I started out pretty confident. I played the lanes firing down 10 with a strong pearl, my Marvel Pearl. At around game 5 I ran out of room to my left and I was up against the ball return. I was still hanging tough until about game 7 or 8. Then transition did me in. The lanes were very dry and only high speed or low rev bowlers could stay competitive. After a couple of bad games, I made the adjustment and was able to add a lot of speed and still be accurate. I finished just above a 200 average. I carried a urethane thinking it would be the answer to the dry condition but it hooked too much!!!!!!! I stayed with my Lights Out and just added as much speed as I could. I looked further down lane until even that didn't work too well. I wasn't tired but my knee was hurting. Adrenaline kept me going. I basically used just two balls plus my spare. I wish I carried my tropical storm, but I thought my urethane would serve that purpose.

Wow! 15 games in one day? Should have been a 2 day tournament. Your description of the carry down is about what I would expect. I bet that was a great experience. I bet you were really tired the following day. Thanks for sharing.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.