BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193527 - 02/12/16 01:56 AM What do you do when you have no wiggle room?
nord Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/Santee/CA
Here is the scenario I faced last night at Poway and my question is:
What could I have done to improve carry?
For the last two weeks we have been bowling on the lower numbered lanes.
The new oil pattern is shorter with slicker oil.
The result for me is I can only use my Glitter n’ Gold polyester ball which I have finished at 180 grit dull with a huge balance hole that produces about 4 inches of flare for me.
Any other ball including my urethane's are just too strong now on these lanes for me and jump too much in the backend for me to control.
For the first two weeks I have been able to play over second arrow.
On week 1 I had to stand with right foot on 10 and on week 2 I had to move my right foot onto 13 to get the same effect.
The ball would hold the line and turn over and roll smoothly to the pocket and I could strike well.
Had a 525 in week 1 and a 534 in week 2 with high games of 195 and 214.
Week 3 was tonight, way up on lanes 21 and 22.
Right off in practice, we could see these higher lanes had far less surface friction than the lower lanes. The oil quantity was the same, but the lanes were slicker.
I only had my Glitter n’ Gold ball.
I had to stand with right foot on 9 and roll over second arrow to get the ball to the pocket and get it to strike, which it was having problems doing unless I was perfect.
As the night progressed it became more and more difficult to control the line.
There was no wiggle room for me.
If I hit half a board to the left of second arrow the ball would go high and split.
If I hit half a board right of second arrow the ball would either not come back or hit very light.
Only a dead perfect shot directly over second arrow with the right speed and rotation would strike.
Got lucky in the first game with a triple and closed with a 186 but the next two games were trouble for a 140 and 162 to close with a hard won 488.
Since I could not change ball or lane conditions, what could I have done to make my ball have a better chance of striking or at least avoid the cross over causing those splits which hurt my scores?
If I had my urethane ball with me I would have simply kept my target the same and moved my feet left and probably been fine.
But I only had the Glitter n’ Gold.
Many dead flush pocket hits left the 7 pin or 10 pin.
So it was one of those situations where the ball was simply not getting enough friction.
Should I have moved my target and feet right and tried to get the ball to do the slow roll in?
Should I have moved my target in and my feet and tried to square up more?

What do you do when your ball doesn’t have the friction to roll soon enough or well enough to strike?

Arsenal
Brunswick True Motion Urethane Axis Drill
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane
Visionary Crow Urethane

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#193529 - 02/12/16 08:36 AM Re: What do you do when you have no wiggle room? [Re: nord]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
There was no wiggle room for me.
Almost all house shots have less oil towards the gutter and more oil inside.
Your playing the wrong part of the lane. You could of kept your feet the same but moved your target 3-5 boards outside towards the gutter to find some dry area or kept the same target and moved your feet 2-3 boards inside.
OR
If you stayed with with the the line you played last night you could of played the outside shot and used slower ball speed so the ball have time to roll into the pocket or played inside line and speed up the ball so it didn't over hook.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#193533 - 02/12/16 09:04 PM Re: What do you do when you have no wiggle room? [Re: spr3wr]
nord Offline

Originally Posted By: spr3wr

You could of kept your feet the same but moved your target 3-5 boards outside towards the gutter to find some dry area or kept the same target and moved your feet 2-3 boards inside.
I couldn't have moved my target right with the ball i was using as it would just fade off to the right and hit the 6 pin. Remember I said, even a half a board miss right and the ball would not come back or hit very light.

If you stayed with with the the line you played last night you could of played the outside shot and used slower ball speed so the ball have time to roll into the pocket
This makes a little more sense, move my feet and target right and ease the ball up 6 and let it do the slow roll in.

Actually an old timer told me when he gets into these situations he just aims Brooklyn on everything and cleans up the remaining pins and gets the lucky strike.
He said this is the percentage play and avoids the splits and washouts and allows a higher score and easier spares.

Arsenal
Visionary Crow Urethane

#193537 - 02/13/16 07:45 AM Re: What do you do when you have no wiggle room? [Re: nord]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

Or bring more than 1 ball.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#193538 - 02/13/16 08:01 AM Re: What do you do when you have no wiggle room? [Re: nord]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

Originally Posted By: nord

You could of kept your feet the same but moved your target 3-5 boards outside towards the gutter to find some dry area or kept the same target and moved your feet 2-3 boards inside.
I couldn't have moved my target right with the ball i was using as it would just fade off to the right and hit the 6 pin. Remember I said, even a half a board miss right and the ball would not come back or hit very light.

Another option was to move both your feet and target outside 3-5 boards because that's where is dry boards are. Ideally / most cases your ball should roll over board 7 or 8 at the break point.

Lane Play Strategy for the Typical House

House shots fall under the category of recreation. Lack of an understanding of the advantages limits the masses from enjoying the THS. I personally view this as a crime and a major deterrent in the growth of our sport.

Axiom#1 The dominant characteristic of ball motion is when and where the ball loses ball speed during it’s path down the lane…….Mo Pinel

Axiom#2 Successful lane play is a result of maximizing your margin of error.

Axiom#3 Ball needs to transition through the three phases of ball motion. Skid – Hook - Roll

Known factors about house shots:

There is an abundant amount of oil in the center of the lane. A minimum of 3 units required on the outside portion of the lane near the end of the pattern.

Abundant amount of oil in the center of the lane equals skid

Three units of oil on the outside portion of the lane equals a lot of free friction

Tip of the day – the free friction outside is you real friend, not the abundant amount of oil in the center.

Lane Play Chart Definition
Minimum amount of oil on the outside portion – Orange section
Abundant amount of oil in the center of the lane – Green section

Lane Play Keys
1) Near the end of the pattern get your ball in the outside portion of the lane. This can be in the 6 – 9 board area of the lane, dependent on many variables. Key is that it must be outside the heavy portion of lane oil in the middle down lane. The free friction right down lane is key for Axioms#1 - #3.

2) Select a ball that is controllable off the breakpoint; and as ballspinner has stated only use as much power as you can control. There is plenty of information on this forum about THS layouts.

3) Once you get your ball in THS sweetspot (6-9 board) down lane; adjust your feet left or right to control the pocket. Always moving the feet in the direction of your miss on a house shot.

4) As the front part of the lane transitions it is key that you Do Not move your breakpoint in towards the center of the lane as you adjust your feet.

5) If your ball gets to the friction early (Red ball #1) you will see early ball reaction. Also ball speed on the monitor will be lower (more friction –ball slows down sooner). If it never gets to the free friction (Red Ball#2) on the outside portion of the lane - ball speed on the monitor will be higher (less friction). You may still hit the pocket from Red Ball #2 but your carry will suffer.

6) Ideally the ball needs to be in the blue elipse area near the end of the pattern. I drew an elipse because it is not an exact distance down the lane. Too many variables; therefore it is an area. Area is a good thing! Axiom#2!

7) The initial laydown points L1, L2 & L3 are dependent upon bowler style. But they all have one thing in common – the breakpoint area down lane.
http://s943.photobucket.com/user/spr3wr/media/800px-Lane_play_zps15tn7tzi.jpg.html?filters[user]=97708019&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#193550 - 02/14/16 09:17 AM Re: What do you do when you have no wiggle room? [Re: nord]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Even though I usually bring 3 balls plus a spare ball to league, and am pretty good at guessing which balls to bring, and finding the friction, hold, and length of the pattern with my first few shots and getting lined up, there are still times when the house, the lanes, or the pattern provide little wiggle room.

What do you do then? While it's not easy to accept, it's a rare opportunity to really focus on your Execution. Those are the times when the lanes/pins will tell you if you leaned forward or back, tilted your wrist, squeezed the ball, was fast or slow with your approach, etc. It will reveal all the subtle variances in your delivery. Forget the scores, relax, take a deep breath, focus on what you are doing, and enjoy the learning experience.

That said, I am headed out this morning to practice on the 40 foot flat Bear pattern, and hope to do the same myself.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#193560 - 02/15/16 08:32 AM Re: What do you do when you have no wiggle room? [Re: nord]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville

The "bowling in a phone booth" phenomenon is always problematic. It tenses muscles and leads to tentativity, shortened follow through, etc. On a house shot, I try to widen the window I am looking at at the arrows...usually aiming at 2 or three boards. On more honest patterns (read: more difficult) I find better success aiming at the break point on shorter and medium patterns...on long patterns I need to find the spot at the dots between the foul line and the arrows to aim at.

Hope that makes sense...I just read it back and I am not so sure...LoL
YMMV - mine most certainly does
Hammer Onyx Vibe (original)
Rotogrip Winner - box
Elite Gold Label
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#193573 - 02/16/16 09:20 AM Re: What do you do when you have no wiggle room? [Re: 6_ball_man]
56bird Offline

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
spr3wr has laid down some good stuff here.

I'll tell my story from last night in the hopes that it will help.

I started with two pretty-good games. My teammates were struggling, especially the one who likes to grip it and rip it from the left side. Lots of 2-8-10 and bucket style leaves. I noticed my Diva at 800/3000 was carrying pretty well but I wasn't getting many solid hits, the ball was deflecting a lot and I was fortunate enough to carry but had no reason to believe this would continue. The ball just wasn't slowing down enough, in fact my speed downlane was roughly 1mph higher than normal.

On a TRIPLE I gave up on the Diva and got out my Thug Corrupt, which is the strongest ball I own in terms of ability to handle oil. We have a heavier 43' shot btw. I didn't move my feet or mark *at all* which was weird. As the video says it was "boom time", had a high game of 270 with lots of "split the 8-9" going on. Eventually the lanes started to open up, I made a 2-1 move left to hold pocket and was able to stay with the Corrupt the rest of the night. 3rd and 4th game our "grip it and rip it" bowler started scoring. I finished with 974 and a low of 225 which I'll take any day of the week.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you do need a ball that gets into a solid roll (but not too soon!). Absent a stronger ball to use, I could have move a bit outside or moved my target closer to the foul line. Targeting at the dots is a trick I use to get the ball into a roll when nothing else works.

The problem with moving right was two-fold. There were two bowlers on the other team already playing there with super-strong equipment (a Lock and a Fortera Exile). I didn't want to get on top of that line, and I didn't think there was as much "wiggle room" as you say. Was fortunate to have the right ball with me to go to.

I personally LOVE when the lanes are tricky. I'm twice the age of some of these guys and never was the greatest athlete. Sometimes I can be crafty though and take advantage of a lane condition the other guys don't understand. Sometimes not, that happens too.

#193577 - 02/16/16 12:45 PM Re: What do you do when you have no wiggle room? [Re: spr3wr]
nord Offline

spr3wr, Your photo link is not working for me.

Joe, because my target was essentially 1/4 board and everything had to be perfect to strike, I actually did exactly what you pointed out, I focused on perfection of Execution.

If my release did not come off correctly I would not get enough side turn and the ball would not come off the spot correctly so it could strike. If my speed was too fast or too slow, only 1/2mph then again I would not get the carry. So with such a fine line I was able to understand how such small variables make such a big difference in results.

Arsenal
Visionary Crow Urethane

#193582 - 02/17/16 11:28 AM Re: What do you do when you have no wiggle room? [Re: nord]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Nord - you have to select the entire link. The auto-link only does part of it. It's all the way through o=0

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.