BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193308 - 01/19/16 11:20 AM Can't get the ball to hook - Video Help
TooSimple Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/Indiana
I am really struggling to get the ball to hook a significant amount. I feel like my hand is too far on the side of the ball and my body is almost ahead of the ball. I have only been trying this for maybe 6 games now, but I need some help.

My bowling speed may be a big part of this (22-24mph (1.68 sec to impact)), but IDK please watch the video and let me know what you think.

I average 151.

Bowling Video

Thank you for all of your help in advance!

Donny

Attachments
Video.MOV (25 downloads)

Edited by TooSimple (01/19/16 11:24 AM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#193313 - 01/19/16 05:41 PM Re: Can't get the ball to hook - Video Help [Re: TooSimple]
TooSimple Offline
Bumper Bowler

I was new to the forum and didn't know you wanted both views. I am bowling tonight in a league and will try to grab a few more videos if needed.

Edited by TooSimple (01/19/16 05:41 PM)

#193315 - 01/19/16 11:55 PM Re: Can't get the ball to hook - Video Help [Re: TooSimple]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
The video is not that clear but I think I see several things happening with your release:

- Hand position on top of the ball
- Thumb at 9:00 and fingers at 3:00 positions
- Thumb and fingers coming out of the holes at the same time.

This type of release is sometimes referred to as a "suitcase" release. The ball will roll mostly straight when thrown this way.

Try learning the classic hook release:

- Keep your hand behind the ball at all times. Cupping your wrist may help but a straight wrist is OK as well.
- Position the ball so that your thumb is in the 10:00 and your fingers in the 4:00 positions.
- When you release the ball, let the thumb come out first and then as your fingers come out, smoothly raise your arm up. While doing this, imagine the pads of your fingers "lifting" the the ball. The motion is like a handshake, you raise your arm but your hand does not rotate or move.

Raising your arm is called the follow through which is a very important part of your delivery. Until you are comfortable with your new release, it sometimes helps to exaggerate your follow through (keeping your arm extended well after the ball has left your hand).

Let me know if this helps.

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs C300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs C300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Brunswick BTU Pearl
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#193320 - 01/20/16 11:58 AM Re: Can't get the ball to hook - Video Help [Re: TooSimple]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
I think it's likely a combination of things:

1. You have an entry level ball - it's not going to hook a lot. Not like the Rotogrip Menace.

2. I can't see the rotation on your ball. Need more light! goobee mentioned you are letting the ball go in a suitcase delivery - I'd further that by observing that you're completely on top of the ball (top point of the ball is between your thumb and fingers) - this will induce a SPIN rather than ROTATION. Spin is when the ball spins like a helicopter - we want ROTATION which is akin to a tire spinning sideways: when it hits traction, it drives the car (ball) in the direction of the rotation.

To fix this - check a few things: A: check the fit of your ball. With your thumb in and your hand spread out over the finger holes (not in) the close edge of your finger holes should be in the middle of the second joint of your middle and ring finger. If you have to grab your ball, this can contribute to topping the ball. B: It is fingertip, right? C: let the ball pull you, don't you pull it. It's GOING to swing. . . you do NOT have to help it. smile This will also help your ball speed. D: think "lead with the inside of my elbow" which will help keep you behind the ball.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#193322 - 01/20/16 01:37 PM Re: Can't get the ball to hook - Video Help [Re: mmalsed]
TooSimple Offline
Bumper Bowler

1. I did just get this ball, but do you suggest I get a different ball? If so what ball would you suggest.

2. The ball turns a little, but not much. I would agree that It probably is helicopter type spin based on how my fingers and thumb feel. I will try to take a better video next time I go bowling. That was just all I had initially and I am desperate. I have a very hard time keeping my hand behind the ball but I will do my best to slow down and truly focus on that.

3. My ball is a finger tip ball. Is there an exercise I can do to focus on keeping my hand behind the ball to generate that rotation. I must agree I truly feel like i am ontop of the ball trying to spin it.

#193323 - 01/20/16 05:30 PM Re: Can't get the ball to hook - Video Help [Re: TooSimple]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 71/m/IL
Perhaps a video might help you like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo78c91-g0k

I use a mantra for myself... Keep your thumb right. Keep your fingers under the ball. Relax and go for your target.

Watch the attached video and picture yourself with the "V" between your index finger and middle finger pointing directly at your target for each and every shot. Try not throwing the ball, but rolling the ball down the alley with minimal muscle.
Good luck tonight... Hope this helps...

#193334 - 01/21/16 09:27 AM Re: Can't get the ball to hook - Video Help [Re: TooSimple]
TooSimple Offline
Bumper Bowler

Thank you for all of your help. I will take some better videos and report back soon. i am taking a short break because of a bad blister on my thumb, which I am sure is because of my attempt to rotate the ball with my hand ontop of it.

I can't tell you all how much I appreciate all of your help.

Thanks,
Donny

#193345 - 01/23/16 10:24 PM Re: Can't get the ball to hook - Video Help [Re: TooSimple]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
We don't get points/score for how fast/hard we throw the ball. It's about creating revolutions on the ball. You need to stop trying so hard.

http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip26.htm

You have a real solid game until the last step/slide ,release and follow through .You have a lot of side tilt until the last step. Then in order to throw the ball real hard your head loses some side tilt you start to stand up (head above yellow line)and your hand turns too early.You can see the hole your hand makes compare to a pro.

http://s943.photobucket.com/user/spr3wr/media/Untitled_zpsc0b6hfkt.png.html?sort=3&o=0

This is what the release should look like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZNVJql7hH8

You need to keep the side tilt-
http://www.strikeability.com/learn_06.php

You need to understand the feel of staying behind the ball,and staying down after the ball is release. Staying down after the release will help staying behind the ball better.

1)Kneel down drill-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwP31ZuVdfc

2)Foul line drill-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr9lDk848-g

3)One step drill-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHEDiAfxUVo

4)3 step drill-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA1sMK4tYpc

practice them in this order you wont learn this in a week,month or maybe even in a couple of months . Be patience and if you really struggle with this then ask the bowling center for a highly skilled coach.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#193366 - 01/25/16 09:18 AM Re: Can't get the ball to hook - Video Help [Re: TooSimple]
TooSimple Offline
Bumper Bowler

@spr3wr This information is absolutely fantastic. I will work on some of this for awhile and report back. I had some success last nigh, but I must say, in doing so my two fingers that go in the holes got VERY sore. Hopefully that's just wear in....

#193371 - 01/25/16 05:09 PM Re: Can't get the ball to hook - Video Help [Re: TooSimple]
TooSimple Offline
Bumper Bowler

In reading some of Ron's tips I think I grip the ball pretty hard...How do I prevent this? In my mind if I don't squeeze hard that ball is coming off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - Today at 08:17 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by Dennis Michael - 09/18/18 08:46 AM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 09/12/18 08:37 AM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 09/07/18 04:48 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 09/05/18 04:25 PM
Off-Spot Rule and Pinspotter Operation Question
by BOSStull - 09/01/18 06:43 AM
Anthony Simonsen Gene Carter's Pro Shop Classic
by BowlerBill - 08/24/18 04:27 PM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - 08/24/18 04:23 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by wronghander - 08/23/18 11:11 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.