BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193214 - 01/07/16 10:59 PM How to get more backswing?
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 55/m/Ca
I've only been bowling since September of 2011. If 57 and not in the best physical condition. My backswing is barely at the belt level. I think this hinders my game.

Is there a drill or something I can do to get it a little higher?

Thanks,

Bill

HS 805 (250, 300, 255) (non-sanctioned)
746 (267, 257, 222) (sanctioned)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#193216 - 01/07/16 11:51 PM Re: How to get more backswing? [Re: BowlerBill]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
hold ball higher in presentation. Push out to gain more speed. and, lean forward in approach.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#193217 - 01/08/16 08:55 AM Re: How to get more backswing? [Re: BowlerBill]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Firstly, how slow are u bowling at present?

Also just looking at your profile, it appears u can shoot some nice scores, so u are already doing a lot of things right with your game. .
Bill, another observation/suggestion is that u accelerate the swing just before release, and be strong with release.. like pushing a kids swing.. push when the ball for ex is nearing your slidong knee.. this will give u an instant mph or possibly more for nothing ....
The best thing for all to see would be a video perhaps before offering advice though..

Edited by looseleftie (01/08/16 09:00 AM)

#193220 - 01/08/16 04:03 PM Re: How to get more backswing? [Re: Dennis Michael]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
hold ball higher in presentation. Push out to gain more speed. and, lean forward in approach.
e

I've tried to hold the ball higher and push out. These are good tips that help. I haven't tried increasing tilt yet. I'll give that one a shot. Thanks.

#193221 - 01/08/16 04:17 PM Re: How to get more backswing? [Re: looseleftie]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: looseleftie
Firstly, how slow are u bowling at present?

Also just looking at your profile, it appears u can shoot some nice scores, so u are already doing a lot of things right with your game. .
Bill, another observation/suggestion is that u accelerate the swing just before release, and be strong with release.. like pushing a kids swing.. push when the ball for ex is nearing your slidong knee.. this will give u an instant mph or possibly more for nothing ....
The best thing for all to see would be a video perhaps before offering advice though..

I'm not sure what my ball speed is. I'd guess in the 15-16 mph range.

I concentrate on acceleration through the shot. This really helps.

I have nights at the lanes where I feel really good and score well. Other nights, I struggle because my timing is off a little.

I worked in the IT field during my career so I am conditioned to always improve something. At this moment it's bowling. My average the past 3 years has been between 206 and 210. I want to jump up a few more points. The only way to improve is to fix flaws.

I signed up for xtra frame and have been watching the pros. They all seem to have powerful games. I'd like to see my game get fluid and simple like Parker Bohn III or Norm Duke, if that is at all possible.

I have posted a few videos in the other forum.

Thanks for the advice and tips.

#193225 - 01/09/16 08:26 AM Re: How to get more backswing? [Re: BowlerBill]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 63/M /Georgia
Originally Posted By: BowlerBill
e

I've tried to hold the ball higher and push out. These are good tips that help. I haven't tried increasing tilt yet. I'll give that one a shot. Thanks.

Read Ron Clifton's article How High Can A Free Swing Go?
Basically this is how I achieve a higher back swing and I think it is what Dennis is referring to on the lean forward. It is still an effortless free swing with no muscling .

Edited by BOSStull (01/09/16 09:42 AM)
"Let me bowl or let me die"

#193227 - 01/09/16 09:58 AM Re: How to get more backswing? [Re: BOSStull]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: BOSStull
e

Read Ron Clifton's article How High Can A Free Swing Go?
Basically this is how I achieve a higher back swing and I think it is what Dennis is referring to on the lean forward. It is still an effortless free swing with no muscling .

Excellent link. Thank you.

#193236 - 01/10/16 07:43 AM Re: How to get more backswing? [Re: BowlerBill]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
e

Holding the ball higher for a higher backswing doesn't work for most people. It just places the ball into the swing later. As we mention before in your other post. slow down your foot speed. This will allow the ball more time to reach a higher position.

Remember that the swing needs to match the timing of the player.

After looking at videos of you from 1 and 2 yrs ago you haven't changed much. You have fast feet with that said , if you want a higher backswing then you need to hold the ball lower to match up with your footwork. A bowler who gets the ball into the swing early in relation to the footwork will tend to have a higher backswing. Conversely, a bowler who gets the ball into the swing late in relation to the footwork will tend to have a lower backswing.
Timing is the sequencing of the feet, when the ball is put into motion, and the spacing of each step. Usually, the earlier the ball is placed into the swing, the higher the swing can go and still be in the proper timing window.With your fast feet, the top of your swing cannot be that high unless you drop the ball into the swing earlier and or slow down you feet (make steps 1,2and 3 longer). If you make these steps longer you can still keep the same pace it will just take longer to finish the approach.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#193243 - 01/11/16 01:10 PM Re: How to get more backswing? [Re: spr3wr]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: spr3wr
e

Holding the ball higher for a higher backswing doesn't work for most people. It just places the ball into the swing later. As we mention before in your other post. slow down your foot speed. This will allow the ball more time to reach a higher position.

Remember that the swing needs to match the timing of the player.

After looking at videos of you from 1 and 2 yrs ago you haven't changed much. You have fast feet with that said , if you want a higher backswing then you need to hold the ball lower to match up with your footwork. A bowler who gets the ball into the swing early in relation to the footwork will tend to have a higher backswing. Conversely, a bowler who gets the ball into the swing late in relation to the footwork will tend to have a lower backswing.
Timing is the sequencing of the feet, when the ball is put into motion, and the spacing of each step. Usually, the earlier the ball is placed into the swing, the higher the swing can go and still be in the proper timing window.With your fast feet, the top of your swing cannot be that high unless you drop the ball into the swing earlier and or slow down you feet (make steps 1,2and 3 longer). If you make these steps longer you can still keep the same pace it will just take longer to finish the approach.

spr3wr, this is enlightening. I have been concentrating on making the 1st and 2nd steps shorter and slower in an attempt to get better timing.

I don't know why I have fast feet but I do and it affects my game that is for certain. Some days it worse than others.

I've experimented with pushing the ball up as high as I can get in the push away in an attempt to get a pendulum type swing. Some days this works really well. I can feel the back swing being higher and get much more speed on the ball and energy in the pocket. Is this something I should pursue?

I guess change is not as easy as I thought it would be. Thanks for your feedback.

#193247 - 01/11/16 07:07 PM Re: How to get more backswing? [Re: BowlerBill]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
[/quote]

spr3wr, this is enlightening. I have been concentrating on making the 1st and 2nd steps shorter and slower in an attempt to get better timing.

I don't know why I have fast feet but I do and it affects my game that is for certain. Some days it worse than others.

I've experimented with pushing the ball up as high as I can get in the push away in an attempt to get a pendulum type swing. Some days this works really well. I can feel the back swing being higher and get much more speed on the ball and energy in the pocket. Is this something I should pursue?

I guess change is not as easy as I thought it would be. Thanks for your feedback. [/quote]

If the lanes are dry and you need more speed then yes .

If you slow down the steps, DON'T change when the pushaway starts . I would lower the ball so your wrist is at your belt buckle in the setup. Then start the pushaway at the same time as you do now and don't allow the pushaway to move upwards.Think forwards and drop at the same time this way you can keep your foot speed the same. Then after the ball has dropped into the swing and is behind your right leg you then can tilt forward.

Seems like everything works some days lol.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.