BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192607 - 10/29/15 11:27 AM Slow ball speed and inconsistent release
juggernaut118 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: MN
Hi guys,

I'm struggling this year after taking of my wrist brace and trying not to loft the ball so much. I'm throwing around 12 mph and I'd like to get my speed up. I'm also finding it hard to have a consistent release. I'm hoping you'll see something from these videos that I can work on. Thanks for any advice. Sorry the side shot isn't very good.

Slow motion
[yt]https://youtu.be/n4Muvhuewvg?t=1m20s[/yt]

Edited by juggernaut118 (10/29/15 11:32 AM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#192608 - 10/29/15 12:10 PM Re: Slow ball speed and inconsistent release [Re: juggernaut118]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
First, don't worry about your ball speed. I'm assuming you're reading 12mph from the display? My timer showed your ball being 2.6 seconds (ish) from the thumb-pop to the time I heard the pin crash which means your ball speed is about 15.5-15.75mph.

Now - you do have a problem! smile

Your feet are WAY ahead of your ball, which means you're stopping everything between your third and fourth step to let the ball catch up.

From what I can see, you're pushing out on the first step, but then you speed through your second and third steps.

Second step is the drop step - don't rush it. Your third step shouldn't start at the bottom of the swing - your third step is your "stutter" step and should be at the top of your backswing, allowing you to gather power and propel you into your slide step as you deliver the ball.

It's one. . .two. . .threeandfour. Kinda.

If you want to model after any approach - Chris Barnes has probably the single-most-prototypical and perfect approach

Notice that the ball is AT his foot when his second step hits the ground. . . Your third step is where his second is.

See if you can drop the ball on your second step, slow your steps between 2 and 3 and see how that fits.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#192615 - 10/30/15 10:21 AM Re: Slow ball speed and inconsistent release [Re: mmalsed]
juggernaut118 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: MN
Thanks for the reply.

I see what you mean. It also looks like I need to take a longer first and last step from what Chris Barnes is doing.

#192618 - 10/30/15 12:42 PM Re: Slow ball speed and inconsistent release [Re: juggernaut118]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
well, the length isn't that important. I literally go heel to toe for my first couple of steps. . .

It's the RHYTHM. This gives you your balance and flow. Look at where the ball is compared to your feet.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#192680 - 11/07/15 02:43 AM Re: Slow ball speed and inconsistent release [Re: juggernaut118]
Odie8654 Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 55/F/California
I agree with you mmalsed. Juggernaut, Sometimes ball speed is generated from better timing, and sorry sweetie, but your timing isn't all that great truthfully. This game is really about having a relaxed pendulum swing, and an easy, natural walk. I always tell my students, "you don't get up from sitting in a chair and take a huge step, you just step, same for your steps with bowling. The don't need to be long". Now Chris Barnes is a tall, long legged guy, so his steps can be a little misleading too, they are proportionate to his size. I had to go from 5 steps to 4 after three major spinal (back and neck) surgeries 2014, but it's proved better AND easier because the timing between our feet and the ball falls into those last four steps before our release the ball no matter how many steps ya take, the last four are the only ones where the ball shud be moving. Anyway, less is more, keep everything smooth and pendulum like reduces the possibility of mistakes, and makes it easier to trouble shoot your motion as well, KISS, "keep it simple sweetie" (or stupid if you choose). You do release late, ball release should be around the ankle too. Maybe something to work on as lofting, or late releases in general will certainly make for inconsistent releases!!!! Major issue for releases!! Push, drop, swing, release, RELAX. My ball speed went from 12-13 to 14.8-15.9 if I keep my timing smother and relaxed........Timing, timing, timing, sweetie!

(Also, be sure our thumb is flat in the thumb hole, not bent and grabbing the hole!! People don't realize they do that, thumb should be flat in the hole and pressure pressing flat/downward on hole.)

Sorry so long, hope this helps a little sweetie.....

#192715 - 11/11/15 08:30 PM Re: Slow ball speed and inconsistent release [Re: juggernaut118]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 55/m/Ca
I used to carry the ball forward into the second step too, which resulted in bad timing.

I switched to a 5 step approach and it really made a difference in my overall game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcUIUUbTJE8

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/5_step_drill_btm_jan_07.pdf

Give this a try. It might fix some of your problems all at the same time.

HS 805 (250, 300, 255) (non-sanctioned)
746 (267, 257, 222) (sanctioned)

#192723 - 11/12/15 06:07 PM Re: Slow ball speed and inconsistent release [Re: juggernaut118]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
This video talks about ball speed and timing

[yt]https://youtu.be/LwxYsqCbKGM?t=6m49s[/yt]

Edited by B-Hammer (11/12/15 06:09 PM)

#192827 - 11/22/15 08:23 AM Re: Slow ball speed and inconsistent release [Re: juggernaut118]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
As mention before you have slow feet but why you have slow feet? The reason he has slow feet is because he is dropping the ball at the end of step 2.You don't drop the ball on the 2nd step,you start to drop the ball at the end of the 1st step. Once he start to let the ball drop at the end of the 1st step then his feet will pick up speed to stay ahead of the ball.

http://s943.photobucket.com/user/spr3wr/media/1_zpsmjn1jmf5.png.html?sort=3&o=0

Release the ball when the ball reaches your ankle not after it passes your ankle. This will also help with ball speed.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#192828 - 11/22/15 08:37 AM Re: Slow ball speed and inconsistent release [Re: spr3wr]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
For bowlers that keep the ball still too long (for example, into the second step of a four-step approach), this drill isolates the movement of the first step and pushaway. This is a great drill that forces the bowler to make sure their first step is correct, and that the ball is getting to the right place in relation to their leg.

The bowler simply needs to take one step (or two if they have a five-step approach) and bring the ball to the desired spot (usually around knee height, 2-5 in front of the leg) and stop right there. This requires control: the bowler should stop right there and hold the ball in that position for a second before releasing the tension and letting the ball swing or lifting it back up to the start position.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 1 minute 37 seconds ago
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.