BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192795 - 11/19/15 12:10 PM Knees suck, but shots . . . don't?
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
So I've been struggling with osteoarthritis in my left knee for a number of years. I'm bone on bone in one "envelope" (the inner part) and have arthritis and bone spurs on my kneecap.

It got to the point where I dropped from the 190s to 170-180 a year ago and I figured it was time to give up bowling for a while to get surgery. The Orthopedic said it wasn't time yet, let's try to make it last. He wasn't in favor of braces, either, so just dope up on the NSAIDs and let's see where we are.

Oh goody - continue with the pain until I can't take it anymore? Yeah, that's the diagnosis I wanted to hear.

So I bought an unloader knee brace (on my own - thank goodness for Flex - $600) which made a TREMENDOUS impact. Bowling was nearly pain free for several months. I jumped back up to 190s. I could adjust the side-load and that really seemed to keep the stress off the affected part of my knee.

Oh - and strangely enough - I got my lower wisdom teeth removed at about the same time and that relieved a TON of back pain. Literally - got home from the oral surgeon and had zero back pain. I just thought it was the drugs, LOL.

But the knee kept deteriorating. It's my left, so I slide into it. I had to stop my walks, which meant my weight has been creeping up. Bah - vicious circle.

It hurt enough that after bowling a 540 series and feeling miserable, I got back in but to another Ortho. This guy was cool, especially since he realized that I already knew most of what he was going to tell me.

He told me why I wasn't eligible for a partial knee replacement (I'm arthritic in 2/3 "envelopes" so a partial isn't indicated for me - other just told me "no" . . . isn't that sweet) and persuaded me to try the cortisone shot. I'd had a bad experience with cortisone in my foot and he told me it was completely different and MUCH better.

It was. It's been three weeks and I'm dealing with MAYBE 10% of the pain I'd had before. Whereas before, if I tweaked my knee it would hurt for an hour or more, now it hurts for about 20 seconds or so and I'm back to something I can deal with.

My first night back (day after the shot) I tossed 743. Felt like dancing. smile I've been above 600 the last two weeks as well and have visited and hiked in a couple of ghost towns in Eastern California as well, with little knee problem!

I don't write this to brag, but as a rejoicing and as an encouragement to others with knee problems. It can get better (even if only for a bit - I know I'll need more shots and I know I'll need a new knee).

In any case - cheers! smile

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#192799 - 11/19/15 04:17 PM Re: Knees suck, but shots . . . don't? [Re: mmalsed]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 55/m/Ca
Congratulations. It is amazing what removing wisdom teeth can do. I seem to recall another story of someone's back pain being relieved when they had the wisdom's removed.

I had rotator cuff problems in both shoulders about 7 years ago. At the time I don't think I could have bowled. I thought I was in for surgery but my ortho gave me a shot in in each shoulder and I have pain free ever since. I took up bowling in 2011 and have not had any shoulder related problems (knock on wood).

Nice to see your scores (and enjoyment) have improved.

HS 805 (250, 300, 255) (non-sanctioned)
746 (267, 257, 222) (sanctioned)

#193174 - 01/03/16 06:06 AM Re: Knees suck, but shots . . . don't? [Re: mmalsed]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Great to read Mmalsed.. Nothing worse than a sore sliding/planting knee. These injuries can affect not just bowling, but everyday life..

Keep those 700 series going mate!!!! smile

Just out of curiosity, how long do u have to wait for knee op?

#193180 - 01/03/16 10:53 PM Re: Knees suck, but shots . . . don't? [Re: mmalsed]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
good to hear, Mmalsed.

I went into hospital in Oct, 13 for pre op tests. Intent was to have Medial Collateral Ligament repaired. The pre op test included an EKG.

a day later, the Hospital called to say my operation was cancelled. And, I should consult a Cardiac Dr.

Well, bottom line was, I had a heart attack, and didn't know. It showed up in the EKG.

Needless to say, had a heart procedure immediately.

a full year later, I was approved to complete my knee surgery. which I did.
And again in 6 months to repair meniscus tears.

Well, been in and out of bowling since then. Just now, back in weekly leagues. I wear a brace too on my sliding knee. But, I find my balance and timing are way off. And, just starting to bend my knee in the slide.

Other problems have crept in, due to my layoff. And, I'm really struggling. AVerage dipped almost 30 pins. But, I won't give up. Speed is an issue for a guy with a big hand, and I have none.

reading your story, tells me there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I will get back there.

Good luck to you.

I still instruct, and one of my bowling students is a 94 y/o man, who used to bowl. If he can, so can I.

PS: He also has a new girl friend. There is hope for all.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#193187 - 01/04/16 12:31 PM Re: Knees suck, but shots . . . don't? [Re: looseleftie]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

Originally Posted By: looseleftie
Great to read Mmalsed.. Nothing worse than a sore sliding/planting knee. These injuries can affect not just bowling, but everyday life..
Keep those 700 series going mate!!!! smile
Just out of curiosity, how long do u have to wait for knee op?

No timeline from Ortho - he said that I'll know. As long as the cortisone shots work, we keep putting it off. I've only had one, and it's starting to wear off and I'll be up to get another one at the end of January.

Yep - it does affect everything. We laid down a ton (literally) of paver bricks in the back yard over the break. When my wife shuttled bricks for me, it was pretty decent going, but if I had to get up and down, my knee would scream bloody murder!

#193483 - 02/05/16 12:04 PM Re: Knees suck, but shots . . . don't? [Re: mmalsed]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

Sigh . . . as predicted, my average dropped at the end of the three month period. I finished this league at 200, but it was a struggle.

Shot comes Tuesday (YAY!) but in the meantime I've screwed up my right shoulder (no idea how) so my rotator cuff is strained. The doc has me on Prednisone (the multi-dose kinda deal - 6 pills first day, 4 then 3 then . . . ) and hopefully that will get me back going but in the meantime I miss sweeps. frown

Any cure for getting old? LOL

#193503 - 02/08/16 10:55 AM Re: Knees suck, but shots . . . don't? [Re: mmalsed]
Doogie Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 37/M/Lincoln, NE
Originally Posted By: mmalsed
Any cure for getting old? LOL

There is but it is quite extreme and very few choose it.
Storm: Supernatural

#193505 - 02/08/16 12:32 PM Re: Knees suck, but shots . . . don't? [Re: mmalsed]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

LOL

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.