BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191981 - 08/27/15 03:37 PM Vegas Tournaments?
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 55/m/Ca
I decided to look at the upcoming regional PBA tournaments and found there are 3 one day events coming to Vegas.

Here is the schedule for one of them.

Friday, October 23
Practice Session: 8-8:30 a.m.
Roll call is 30 minutes prior to all squads.
A Squad: 9 a.m. (eight games)
Top 16 players advance (based on 63 entries or more)
Finals format will be adjusted accordingly with less than 63 entries.
Bracket Match Play (based on 16 finalists)
Round 1 Qualifiers 1-16 bowl (best-of-five games): 1 p.m.
Round 2 Winners bowl (best-of-three games): Immediately following
Round 3 Winners bowl (single-game): Immediately following
Round 4 Winners bowl (single-game): Immediately following
Finals format will be adjusted accordingly with less than 63 entries.

You get 30 minutes of practice starting at 8:00 Am, attend the meeting for 30 minutes and the tournament starts at 9:00 am. Not bad so far.

The tournament is 8 games and needs to be finished before 1:00 Pm so the brackets can begin. Then it's a best of 5 games, best of 3 before single game rounds.

How can they possible bowl 8 games in 4 hours?

This seems to be a very fast pace. Fyi: The PBA50 Fountain Valley Open was held a couple of months ago. Days 1 and 2 had qualifying start times of 9:00 am for 8 games. The bowling ended around 3:00 Pm each day. The pace for those two days was quite fast (in my opinion) when you add the time to move equipment to the new pair.

Thanks

HS 805 (250, 300, 255) (non-sanctioned)
746 (267, 257, 222) (sanctioned)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#192435 - 10/11/15 04:13 PM Re:PBA Southpoint West Challenge (non Champion) [Re: BowlerBill]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

I'm thinking of bowing in this tournament to gain a little PBA experience.

The pattern will be 39 feet, PBA Regional Tour Viper.

I haven't been able to find any specs on the pattern itself. Does anyone recommend the type of ball and surface that matches up the best with this pattern?

Thanks, Bill

#192437 - 10/11/15 07:25 PM Re:PBA Southpoint West Challenge (non Champion) [Re: BowlerBill]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
http://www.epicbowling.com/pba-patterns/viper/

Here you go. I use these reports when I teach aspiring teens. They help a lot.

BTW, I now have 6 boys and 2 girls bowling at the college level. We're getting together over XMas break, and bowl.

Have others noticed that EBI has taken over College bowling supplies? Balls, shoes, bags , all. And, offer future purchase discounts too.

Edited by Dennis Michael (10/11/15 07:32 PM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#192448 - 10/12/15 01:00 PM Re:PBA Southpoint West Challenge (non Champion) [Re: Dennis Michael]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael

BTW, I now have 6 boys and 2 girls bowling at the college level. We're getting together over XMas break, and bowl.

Have others noticed that EBI has taken over College bowling supplies? Balls, shoes, bags , all. And, offer future purchase discounts too.

Dennis,

Thanks for the link. The information on PBA.com indicates the PBA Regional Viper pattern has a length of 39 feet versus the 37 feet shown in your website. It appears the PBA has changed the pattern somewhat. I wonder if they also changed the volume and placement when they increased the length? I guess I'll find out if I enter the tournament.

Congratulations on having so many students bowling at the college level. That is quite the accomplishment.

Thanks, Bill

#192535 - 10/20/15 10:34 PM Re:PBA Southpoint West Challenge (non Champion) [Re: Dennis Michael]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael

Dennis,

I signed up for the tournament. Here is a list of equipment I own.

Ebonite Mission X Pin up with balance hole (favorite ball)
Columbia White Dot spare ball
Columbia Melt Down Pin up with balance hole
Columbia Swerve Pin Up with balance hole
Columbia Disorder Pin up
Roto Grip Shatter Pin up
DV8 reckless Pin up with balance hole

I think I fall into the stroker or tweener category. I think my ball speed is around 15.5 to 16. I have a high track and get a good amount of revs on the ball.

Based on the information you provided, I plan to start with the Mission X and the 7 - 8 board with 2000 grit surface. After that, I can ball down to the either the Disorder or Swerve and then to the Melt Down.

Does this sound like the right idea for this pattern?

Thanks,

Bill

#192578 - 10/26/15 01:00 PM Re: Vegas Tournaments? [Re: BowlerBill]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

I thought I would post my results even though I am embarrassed to put them on the net.

During the practice session, I had a great look straight up the 10 board using my Mission X. I had high hopes with this ball as it skid through the oil just right, flipped and carries energy into the pins.

We had a 30 min break for roll call and it was time for 15 minutes of practice. After the second shot, I realized my thumb had swelled. I removed the last piece of tape from the ball and threw another shot. This time, the slug came halfway out of the ball on release. Another player saw it happen and I had to put that ball away.

I changed to the Columbia swerve, which didn't read the lanes as well. It was late getting to the roll phase.

As the tournament progressed, I tried other balls, changes to my swing and hand position. I had a good look for a while with the Columbia Melt Down but it only lasted for a game and a half.

Most of my bad shots left the big wash outs, which I missed and a few 6-7-10's. It's hard to cover spares when there are 4 pins on the deck.

I don't like living in the land of over/under reaction. Many of the players started left of the head pin and migrated to the left gutter by game 8 and hitting 21 at the arrows and 10 on the break. I tried to follow them but it made the washouts worse. I didn't have anything that would turn the corner.

Having a cold didn't help either. I ended up finishing 47 out of 50, which is almost as bad as bad can be but it was a nice to experience what the pros are up against condition wise.

All of my equipment is drilled pin up. Most players had pin down balls and some were getting new stuff drilled on the spot just for this tournament. It's hard to compete with mismatched equipment.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:21 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by champ - 07/22/19 05:30 PM
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - 07/21/19 07:26 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.