BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188697 - 10/01/14 02:52 PM 2014-15 tournaments thread
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 51/M/Brockton, MA
This thread probably should have been started a couple of months ago, but, nevertheless, you can post about your local tournaments here.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 179 HS: 646 HG: 269
Sunday Niters - Avg: 179 HS: 676 HG: 259
Composite Avg: 179

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#189166 - 11/02/14 09:35 PM Re: 2014-15 tournaments thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/NH
Was hoping for some activity in this thread by now but I'll kick it off and post about my tournament win today. It was the NAT handicap tournament that Richie and I have posted about in the past. It was at my home house and I've felt good about how I've been bowling there in the last month. Despite it being a handicap tournament there were still some good players in this including one former touring PBA pro.

Had 193+223+233=649 during qualifying, starting with a few tough opens in game 1. Had the front 6 in game #2 but then had two consecutive splits including a pocket 7-9. There was a guy on the pair that was throwing a plastic ball straight down the lane and I think there was some carry down. Still made good enough adjustments and was fine the rest of the way. Qualified 4th. They took 12 bowlers overall so that gave me a first round bye.

Got into match play and found myself trailing but my opponent had an open in the 7th frame and I was able to throw a late turkey to shoot 213 and take it. Didn't even need the 12 pins my opponent was giving me. Got pitted against the top qualifier in the 2nd game, he was actually on the same pair as me during qualifying and with the way he was bowling I thought he was going to win the tournament. However he had a really rough game and the match was over by the 7th frame or so. My 204 was plenty enough to advance me to the final.

Got matched up with another lefty stroker in the finals. He bowls out of the same house and he's a friend of mine. I was able to outlast him in the finals, started with a double and then mostly filled frames he struggled somewhat. I beat him 194-193, actually had a pocket 7-9 in the 10th that cost me a game in the 200s. Fortunately the game and the tournament was wrapped up at that point.

Overall I averaged just under 210 for 6 games which I think is pretty good considering I bowled on 6 different pairs. More importantly didn't have any bad games that could have cost me the tournament. Really feels good to get my first win.

#189172 - 11/03/14 12:52 PM Re: 2014-15 tournaments thread [Re: Richie V.]
Richie V. Offline

Very nice wronghander smile
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs

Current

Richie's BowlSK profile

#191504 - 05/23/15 12:44 PM Re: 2014-15 tournaments thread [Re: Richie V.]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
I won't be bowling any leagues this summer and am focusing on tournaments instead, while also trying not to bowl on any on house patterns. I've got a pretty good lineup so far.

Next weekend is the Arizona State Tournament. My team has been getting stronger each year, with a 9th place finish in the team event last year. This tournament is usually bowled in Kegel Challenge Patterns or other modified house shots.

After that I have three "Arizona Classic Bowlers Association" tournaments lined up. This organization has been hosting monthly scratch tournaments on tough conditions since the early 60s. Great tournaments with strong fields and decent payouts. In June we're bowling on the 35 foot Kegel Boardwalk, July its the 43 foot PBA Chameleon, and August hasn't been announced yet.

I've also got vacation time in July, and am considering a trip to Vegas for Bowl expo where there will also be some PBA West Regionals I want to enter, and a USBC Bronze Coaching seminar I'd love to do.

Its going to be a good tournament summer...now its time to build an arsenal!

#191513 - 05/25/15 11:35 AM Re: 2014-15 tournaments thread [Re: Richie V.]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
Bowled unexpectedly yesterday again in the Champlain Int'l tournament. I rushed down to join someone that needed a doubles partner. Started on the fresh with a 213, ended at 616. Finished first on that pair.

Then I subbed for someone on a five man team. 234 out of the gate. I forgot to look at the final score as I was just too tired. But somewhere around 630/640.

So my first real tournament average is around 212-218. I would have done pretty well with all-around, but didn't enter because I had no intention of being on teams. I believe I might have made top five all-around with handicap, probably top 60 or so scratch.

Once again, I bowled better after three games than starting out. Used the Storm Crux for 5.5 games out of six. Probably the first time I thought maybe a Crux pearl would have been a good ball to switch to, as the Byte just wasn't grabbing. I also didn't have any time to prepare them.

But for me, I definitely am more relaxed and focused in the tourney than league. Have to prepare much better for singles. But the handicap singles was won yesterday with a cap total of 893 or so! Scratch winner comes in around 813 so far. So I better enjoy it, because it's likely I'll remain a donor wink

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#191524 - 05/26/15 09:24 PM Re: 2014-15 tournaments thread [Re: SteveH]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

Originally Posted By: SteveH
But for me, I definitely am more relaxed and focused in the tourney than league. Have to prepare much better for singles. But the handicap singles was won yesterday with a cap total of 893 or so! Scratch winner comes in around 813 so far. So I better enjoy it, because it's likely I'll remain a donor wink

Saw the final standings on the website, congrats on cashing in doubles. Was happy to see that our team held on for 2nd in the team event and I cashed in singles. That puts my tournament earnings for the season at over $3200. It's been a great year for me and I hope I can keep improving so that I can go up there next year and compete in the scratch division.

#191590 - 06/07/15 11:56 PM Re: 2014-15 tournaments thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

Added another $200 to my tournament earnings with another win yesterday. It was in a Baker doubles tournament and was fortunate to have a good righty stroker as my partner. This was at Richie's home house where I've struggled in the past but was confident that with my improvement overall and my Thug Unruly that I could overcome the 45' pattern. We started out great shooting 720 in the first 3 games of qualifying but then cooled down with games in the 190s. Last game I got up and had a chance to strike out to finish over 200 but got it a bit outside and had a washout. Disappointing 177 and I had already put my shoes on when I found out we were good enough to qualify 2nd.

There were two rounds of match play and two Baker games per round. We got on a great pair and shot 257 and 287 with an 8-bagger in game 1 and 10-in-a-row in game 2. We moved over to the next pair for the finals and it wasn't as kind to us; but our opponents struggled as well. Caught a triple after an early open for 212 to give us a pretty big lead, and even though I couldn't strike in the last game, our 194 was plenty enough.

Was really happy to win this one since I had struggled at this house in the past and appreciated that Richie was there to witness it. Definitely helped that I had a good partner but my goal going in was to make good shots and just hope we'd be able to string the strikes which we did. Bowling in the PBA league is definitely helping me to bowl better on the tougher house shots.

#191593 - 06/08/15 12:15 PM Re: 2014-15 tournaments thread [Re: Richie V.]
Richie V. Offline

Yeah, wronghander, you and your partner definitely had it on the semifinal pair, and I think I mentioned to you that the Baker 300 award was available had you been able to get all 12 in that 287 (single pin in first frame, but, if I remember, it was a corner pin that could have carried). Glad I was there for it. smile
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs

Current

Richie's BowlSK profile

#191615 - 06/14/15 08:21 PM Re: 2014-15 tournaments thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

Originally Posted By: Richie V.
Yeah, wronghander, you and your partner definitely had it on the semifinal pair, and I think I mentioned to you that the Baker 300 award was available had you been able to get all 12 in that 287 (single pin in first frame, but, if I remember, it was a corner pin that could have carried). Glad I was there for it. smile

Yes you did mention that. My partner left a 10 pin in the first frame, then I messed up the last shot for a 7 count.

Bowled the local NAT tournament today at my home house. Was really happy with my qualifying scores of 237,237,227,279 (ringing 7 in the 2nd, and flat 7 in the 12th in the last game). Had to be pretty accurate as there was not much miss room to the left. This was good enough for me to lead the tournament going into match play. This is by far the best series I've shot in a tournament so to average 245 for qualifying and hang with the power players was very encouraging.

Unfortunately went up against a really good bowler in the first round and he shot 268 against me. Was on that same pair to start the tournament and the lanes had changed, which I didn't pick up on until having an early split (since I had to use my practice to warm up again). Couldn't make the right adjustments and finished with 184 but the match was over quite early. My doubles partner from last week bowled against him next and lost 254-233. Thought this guy was going to win the tournament but he lost in the semifinals to the eventual champion.

So another cash (albeit a small one) but the way I look at it anytime you get paid to bowl it's a good day. Just need to figure out how to bowl better after transition. It does happen on the left side, albeit not as much as the right. This was my downfall in my PBA league last week as well.

#191902 - 08/09/15 09:57 PM Re: 2014-15 tournaments thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

Had another strong tournament outing again today, this time was in the same house where I bowl my PBAX league, but on the house shot. Had 268, 248, 225, 226 for 967. Actually started the tournament with the front 8 but had a ringing 7 in the 9th, and then left a split in the 11th. Used my Disorder for all 4 games, ball was great not hooking early and giving me great continuation through the pins. This was a doubles tournament (same partner I won with two months ago in the Baker tournament) and he shot 859 for 4 games and that was plenty enough to be the top seed. It was also enough for me to win the sweeper event they had on the side.

They took 12 teams so we had a first round bye. Two lefties were on the pair that we were going to be bowling on so I kept an eye on that match in addition to the match that would determine our opponents in the quarterfinals. Saw both lefties playing deeper on the lane so knew that I was looking at some breakdown when I got on there.

Ended up going against two UBA bowlers, one of which bowled really well (268 I believe) in the match before. In the practice I decided early on to ball down to my Cyclone and move outside. It worked out pretty well. Shot 231 with 1 bad shot, a flat pocket hit resulting in a pocket 7-9 split in the 6th frame. Was a bad time for that since I was on a double and after that split ended up throwing a 5-bagger after that until an 8 count on the final ball. My partner struggled with the much larger transition on the right side and we ended up losing by 14 pins. It was actually the other UBA bowler that caught fire in this game but I really wish I could've had that 6th frame back because 9/ there would have been good enough for us to advance.

Did leave with $400 on a $90 entry fee however, collected $150 for making it to the quarterfinals and another $250 for winning the side sweeper. Pleased that I was able to come back and have some really strong scores like I did two months ago as well as bowling better during match play after the lanes changed and making the right adjustment. Really needed that after a tough July for me; failing to cash in both tournaments I entered while also struggling in league.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 04:35 PM
End of Days
by explorer05 - Yesterday at 12:19 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.