BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191797 - 07/19/15 02:31 AM Balls having unique pin action?
nord Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/Santee/CA
We hear a lot about bowling balls having unique pin action as part of their design.

An example is hammer’s new line of Carbon Fiber balls that make that loud crack sound when they hit the pins.

These Carbon Fiber balls also have the tendency to “keep the pins low” as they say and allow mixing.

My teammate has a Deadly Aim and when he hits flush, the crack is real loud and different sounding and he gets pins moving into each other.

By comparison my other teammate, who has a Crux Pearl, will blow the pins back and up when he hits dead flush and has that traditional full strike sound.

Can you explain why and how different balls can be designed to move the pins in different ways?

What prompted this question is an effect I have noticed for some time that recently really interested me and want to share with you:

I have an "AMF Angle Plus" vintage urethane bowling ball.

I bought it "new in the box" on Ebay.

It has a simple pancake weight block so I had it drilled with the PBA Plastic Ball layout for Full Roller which was developed by Ron Machniak of "Precision Bowling."

The drilling uses a 1 1/8" diameter 4" deep balance hole to create an amazing amount of track flare for me. About 4-5" on average.

After drilling the ball weighs 14lbs 14oz.

What I found right away when I started to use this ball is the higher scores I was getting consistently on average because the ball had the weird ability, even on bad pocket hits, to either strike, or leave only one pin.

It seemed to do this by just softly pushing the pins sideways into each other rather slowly, rather than blowing them up, or back.

The pins will just push sideways and topple softly into each other and allow better carry as a rule.

I rarely get splits with this ball.

I have never noticed this effect when using any other ball, even other urethane balls like my Judge which just blows the pins back real fast.

The video below is a serious of varied pocket hits that demonstrates the slow pushing and toppling this ball creates.

Any thoughts on why this is and any personal experiences on bowling balls with unique pin action that seems to differ from the norm?

AMF Angle Plus Unique Pin Action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWiNv6Lc3Ec&feature=youtu.be

Arsenal
Brunswick True Motion Urethane Axis Drill
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane
Visionary Crow Urethane

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#191803 - 07/20/15 07:49 AM Re: Balls having unique pin action? [Re: nord]
56bird Offline

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
I don't have any data to back it up but it is my thought that Hammer has found a way to boost the effective coefficient of restitution of these CF balls without exceeding the maximum COR per USBC. Or, perhaps the technology allows a low RG ball to have the same COR as a high RG, "no filler" ball. Pure speculation on guesswork on my part.

Mo says the only thing that "keeps pins low" is gravity, the rest is "horse pucky". I respectfully disagree, and I propose that what keeps pins low is simply "being matched-up".

I'd call a solid, ringing ten the opposite of "keeping pins low", agreed? This happens because the ball rolls a little too late, with too steep an entry angle. You're not matched-up, the ball is not slowing down at the right time. Adjust your line or surface to combat this, but go too far with that and here's a weak ten... The ball slowed down too soon.

As for personal anecdotes, I have found my Roto Grip Bandit has a unique way of working thru the pocket. I wish I had video good enough to show it, or even a good way to describe it. On a good pocket hit, the ball seems to zing through the pocket, you can see that the ball is still revving all the way to the back of the pin deck, and the sound is noticeably loud. I blame the pearlized, polished cover for saving energy, and the higher COR with the no-filler core for the sound.

Some old practice footage with the Bandit, hope I'm rolling it better than this these days but...

And a few shots at the end of this video show off the hitting power of the Bandit, although the gold ball and Reign Supreme are no slouches in this regard.

Edited by 56bird (07/20/15 08:04 AM)

#191804 - 07/20/15 11:20 AM Re: Balls having unique pin action? [Re: 56bird]
nord Offline

Very nice video.

I noticed the gold ball really seemed to knock the pins up and back with a lot of 6's hitting 10 pins off the side wall while the bandit looked like it kept the pins lower and the 6 went straight back on the 10, a better strike.

I forgot about COR as a factor and if a ball has filler or not.

My AMF is coverstock and filler with no core.

Maybe this is why it pushes the pins around and topples them slowly, a very low COR?

My Judge is pure core and coverstock with no filler.

When it hits, the pins explode back.

A very high COR?

Here is my AMF on strikes, no core, lots of filler, you can see it pushes the pins softly, it does not explode them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6coUGP84qX4

And here is the same line with my Judge which has no filler and a very high COR, you can see how it blasts the pins with a nice pop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WCn0z6SAQGE

Edited by nord (07/20/15 11:22 AM)

Arsenal
Visionary Crow Urethane

#191807 - 07/22/15 12:28 AM Re: Balls having unique pin action? [Re: nord]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
I have experienced a couple really special balls, that somehow had a carry of all their own. The first was a Hammer Jet Black Taboo. I used that ball in three different houses for leagues, and in plenty of local tournaments. I could use it on anything, and if I had a line to the pocket with it, I had good carry. I wore that ball out, and have struggled to find a replacement in the three years since. I've had balls I like but none with that "it" factor.

But recently I bought a Motiv Venom Shock and it appears to have that special factor. I've used it in tournaments and league in two different houses, playing a huge variety of lines and angles, and if I can hit the pocket with it, I can strike. My numbers are way up using this ball, and I finally have something that has that special factor again.

The sad thing is there is no method to the madness of finding a ball that matches up. The Hammer Black Taboo is an asymmetric core, 2.50, .060, 2000 polished, skid flip ball. When I had to replace it, those are the specs I was trying to match and nothing came close. I bought the Venom because I like the colors. That's it. The specs aren't even close...and somehow it matches up with me just the same.

#191808 - 07/22/15 07:43 PM Re: Balls having unique pin action? [Re: champ]
nord Offline

Wow Champ, that is funny, you liked the colors!

But if it hits hard consistently then that is the ball for you.

But how do we go about finding that magic ball?

Is it just luck like in your case, is there some formula, some way to say, "I roll the ball this way so this type of ball is best for me"?

The Mystery of the "perfect ball."

Arsenal
Visionary Crow Urethane

#191810 - 07/22/15 09:28 PM Re: Balls having unique pin action? [Re: nord]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
Oh yeah Nord, color is vitally important. When I know what I want a ball to do, I go searching for all the balls designed to get the job done. And among those balls, the best looking one gets bought. And if its got an overly stupid name, its disqualified too.

One of about 20 reasons I'm loving Motiv right now is their understanding of good color. The value of wanting to like a ball can't be over-estimated.

#191822 - 07/24/15 02:58 PM Re: Balls having unique pin action? [Re: champ]
nord Offline

Agreed!

I wish I could get one of those original Brunswick Gold Crown balls with tons real Gold flakes in it!

Attachments
Brunswick Gold Crown.JPG

Arsenal
Visionary Crow Urethane

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - Yesterday at 11:45 AM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 10:29 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 08:41 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 08/16/18 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.