BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#19162 - 01/26/05 04:48 PM Re: Build and use your arsenal wisely!
Jack Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 75, Male, Fort Worth, TX
No, we run a pretty good "King of the Hill" after league (my wife does, that is) Both the Boroffs, JJ and a bunch of other guys come over from Cityview. It's a pretty interesting go around. Single game elimination, so it goes pretty fast for the early risers..give it a try when you are feeling well rested laugh

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#19163 - 01/26/05 10:33 PM Re: Build and use your arsenal wisely!
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
It doesn't make sense to fight a ball, getting it to work on any one particular condition.

Since there are so many variables in the lane, you should be open to using anything/ball you have at hand. Read the ball reaction and if you can't find something within a couple shots, change balls. At the very worst, you'll make a bad decision, get what you've been fighting already, and go back to the original ball. But at least you did something, instead of fighting for a game or so.

For those that have multiple balls and bring them into league every week, an invaluable exercise is to practise with those balls and find out exactly what the differences are between them. Where do you have to move your feet and target to move from ball A to ball B? That kind of stuff. That way, when you do switch you are not shooting in the dark and fishing again.

Erin

#19164 - 01/27/05 06:09 AM Re: Build and use your arsenal wisely!
802dave Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 52/male/Fort Worth, TX
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by Jack:
No, we run a pretty good "King of the Hill" after league (my wife does, that is) Both the Boroffs, JJ and a bunch of other guys come over from Cityview. It's a pretty interesting go around. Single game elimination, so it goes pretty fast for the early risers..give it a try when you are feeling well rested laugh </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">What's the entry fee Jack?

I used to get in the "King of the Hill" at Hurst back in the 70's; lot's of fun! I may try to go a little sleep deprived if I keep improving. The Boroff's and JJ are in my Thursday night league.

Dave

#19165 - 01/27/05 01:51 PM Re: Build and use your arsenal wisely!
mdmjdm Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 40/m/MD
I have something to add to Erin's post.

Ever heard people complain that the shot is "totally different" than "last week"? Usually, that is not the case. Almost all houses use the same shot week after week. They WANT people to learn it, and shoot high scores on it. Other people see those scores and want to bowl there. So the argument that the house "changed the shot" is usually wrong. If EVERYONE is bowling bad...maybe. But, if it's just you...well, it's just you.

Take Erin's advice. Practice with all your equipment at hand. Find a shot on a DRY LINE with one, then throw the SAME shot with a totally different style of ball. You will see some kind of difference, even if it still strikes. It may over react, under react, break later, break earlier, or look the same and just carry like a ping pong ball. But, if you look hard enough for a difference...you WILL see one, I can almost guarantee it.

Do that, and take in all the information. The "puzzle" might not make sense immediately, but you will be armed with more information to make better adjustments during league play.

John

#19166 - 01/27/05 02:26 PM Re: Build and use your arsenal wisely!
Jack Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 75, Male, Fort Worth, TX
Entry fee is $15.00, the center only charges $3.00 for lineage so $12.00 goes into the prize fund and then we have a $5.00 first game high game pot (optional). Everyone seems to enjoy it and the pay back is pretty good, depending how many entries we get, of course.

#19167 - 01/28/05 04:40 AM Re: Build and use your arsenal wisely!
MSC2471 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 34/M/left-handed/Fitchburg, MA
I find similar issues with carrydown in my Monday night league. Many of the bowlers use heavy oil particles all night long, and depending on the number of lefties bowling on my pair, you have to make adjustments either with feet, angle, ball speed or equipment every 12-14 frames. I usually start out with my medium/heavy Rule polished and by the end of the night have to throw a polished Barrage outside of 5 to get a more controlled arcing reaction.

Most of the time my bread and butter ball has been my Hot Wire, drilled pin above the bridge. I get a good read off the lanes with this ball. I've been able to shoot big scores with heavy oilers, medium oilers and light oilers, even plastic sometimes if the conditions warrant the use.

That's what makes the sport of bowling fun...

Matt

#19168 - 01/28/05 07:20 AM Re: Build and use your arsenal wisely!
802dave Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 52/male/Fort Worth, TX
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by Jack:
Entry fee is $15.00, the center only charges $3.00 for lineage so $12.00 goes into the prize fund and then we have a $5.00 first game high game pot (optional). Everyone seems to enjoy it and the pay back is pretty good, depending how many entries we get, of course. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">That's a great deal! I'm going to make it up there in the near future hopefully. I'm probably going to practice there after work today.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - Yesterday at 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.