BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189255 - 11/13/14 09:05 PM Do you remember the 1979 bowling movie "Dreamer"?
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
I vaguely remember seeing this film, THE BEST movie ever about our great sport, and one featuring some championship talent in it, including appearances by PBA Hall Of Famers such as the late great Richard (the "cuss word" detector prohibits me from using his real name here) Weber, and also, the iconic team of Chris Schenkel and Bo Burton as well.

The film starred Tim Matheson, who was fresh off of his role in the fraternal cult classic "Animal House", Susan Blakely, and the venerable Jack Warden, playing the veteran former Tour bowler. Tim Matheson, plays the role of "Dreamer", who wants to take on the challenge of becoming a professional bowler, and the soundtrack is from the genius himself, the great Bill Conti, and features a very rare cut from Pablo Cruise entitled "Reach For The Top", in which is heard in a couple of different edits on the film soundtrack.

The movie is rated "PG", and it is extremely rare to find, and especially with a fully intact card slipcase box, as many rental copies had the box cut up to fit in those old-skool clamshell cases from back in the day. I ran into one in an uncut box, and bought it through Amazon.com for $50.00 and it should be here later on this week.

I just wondered how many of us who were old enough back in 1979 to remember it ever got a chance to see it in some form (VHS/Pay TV like HBO/in theaters) like I got to back in 1980.

Here is the trailer/commerical for the film itself, as seen back in its theatrical release in 1979, ENJOY!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdyDMOf_LF0
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#189292 - 11/17/14 05:50 PM Re: Do you remember the 1979 bowling movie "Dreamer"? [Re: BIGHMW]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

Well, the 1980 Magnetic Video/20th Century Fox issued VHS of Dreamer came in this morning, Alice and I will be watching it tomorrow evening, after I connect up all the audio and video units of my (somewhat) home theater together (I currently only have the TV and Dish receivers hooked up), I haven't done that since moving here to the Towne Point community here in Port Townsend back in July, but it will all be hooked up by the afternoon, and then we can start doing tings like we used to do back at our old residence here in town.

The box is a bit beat up, like most other well-used 30+ year old VHS tapes would be, but, at least it's still intact, although I had to clean it up a bit, and make a copy of the face label for the cassette itself, due to the original one falling off as the glue on it simply wore out mainly due to its age (from 1980), so it's a good thing I have a digital color copier to do that.

A few days after I watch it for the first time since I saw it on Pay TV back in 1980-81, I'll give you my review on it, and the review will come from the perspective as a bowler of over 25 years and a (lifelong) PBA bowling fan, so you know that there'll be no mockeries of our great sport used in my review.

BTW, I want to ask you guys if maybe I should also splurge some $$$ to get the collector's edition DVDs of the vintage 1970s Jed Allan-hosted episodes of the classic series that also aired on Saturday afternoons (mainly on ABC affiliates), the one and only Celebrity Bowling, just before the Professional Bowlers Tour telecasts on ABC every week.

www.BIGHMW.com

#189305 - 11/18/14 06:51 PM Re: Do you remember the 1979 bowling movie "Dreamer"? [Re: BIGHMW]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
I have Dreamer on VHS recorded off mid 80's television. I think it's a decent bowling movie. I had that same vintage Mustang (65) but blue back in those days. Mine was custom I had the rotted out back seat floor option in mine smile

I also recently watched "A League of Ordinary Gentlemen" all the way through recently. With the way I've been bowling lately I can relate to how Wayne Webb felt. The good news is bowling is not my bread and butter .
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#189413 - 11/30/14 07:21 PM Re: Do you remember the 1979 bowling movie "Dreamer"? [Re: BIGHMW]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

Well, fellow bowlers and bowling fans, I just saw my VHS of Dreamer, and I was quite impressed, definitely it's your classic "rags-to-riches" story, but this time for our great sport, very inspiring if you happen to be a bowler who dreams (what else!) of winning the Big One on one given Saturday afternoon someday.

Harold "Dreamer" Nuttingham (played by Tim Matheson) is great as a bowler (I wonder where he is now, and I hope to goodness sake that they didn't use a stunt double for his shots like they did for both Randy Quaid and Woody Harrelson in Kingpin), Susan Blakely was also great in this film, playing the waitress at Bowl Haven and love of his life, and Jack Warden does a great job as Harry, the Pro Shop owner at Bowl Haven, in which is "Dreamer"'s home bowling center, the old former pro who had it back one day, and also we should not forget about the contributions of the late great Chris Schenkel and Bo Burton, as well as Richard Weber, AMF, and most importantly, the PBA, this movie should be reissued sometime on DVD, to perhaps introduce and maybe inspire a new generation of players to one day become PBA Champions, just like Harold Nuttingham was in this film.

BTW, I learned a few rules of the PBA, you've gotta carry a minimum 190 average for two years, no autographs during competition, and no "double-jumping", now I ask to any PBA or former PBA member, what the heck is "double-jumping"? In all my years of watching the Tour on television, and also competing in events (all local or even one day in the Washington State tournament during the 1995-96 season, all amateur), I've never heard of that term before.

Highly-recommended, and the main reason this movie is tough to find, as it has been out-of-print for many years, so if you can get your hands on a copy on Amazon.com or elsewhere, it is indeed a "must watch" especially if your a bowler or even bowling fan, this film is far better than Kingpin and also The Big Lebowski, in which both of those films made a mockery of our great sport, this is a serious bowling movie with a few light-hearted moments, like the two mechanics who were funny to watch, and also the great quote from the proprietor of Bowl Haven, who happens to be "Dreamer"'s boss, "if you win, you're fired", I thought that was a good one, it depends what you do after you win your first title how you end up.

www.BIGHMW.com

#189416 - 11/30/14 10:30 PM Re: Do you remember the 1979 bowling movie "Dreamer"? [Re: BIGHMW]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/Mass
Originally Posted By: BIGHMW
BTW, I learned a few rules of the PBA, you've gotta carry a minimum 190 average for two years, no autographs during competition, and no "double-jumping", now I ask to any PBA or former PBA member, what the heck is "double-jumping"? In all my years of watching the Tour on television, and also competing in events (all local or even one day in the Washington State tournament during the 1995-96 season, all amateur), I've never heard of that term before.

The eligibility criteria for being a PBA member has changed since that time. You now only need a 200 average on a house shot league of at least 36 games to qualify (which given the lane conditions and equipment today is a lot easier than averaging 190 back in 1979). You can also gain membership by cashing in a PBA tournament as a non-member or by averaging 190 in a sport shot league for 36 games.

The double jump rule is in regards to lane courtesy. You have to wait until both the bowler on the pair to your left and right bowl before you can step on the approach and roll your shot. This rule still exists in the PBA today.

Current Arsenal: DV8 Grudge, Pyramid Antidote, Radical Ridiculous Asym, Hammer Arson High Flare Solid, Brunswick Brute Strength

#191506 - 05/23/15 09:01 PM Re: Do you remember the 1979 bowling movie "Dreamer"? [Re: BIGHMW]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/Mass
Noticed that this got uploaded to youtube. Enjoy it before it gets taken down.

https://youtu.be/ZDZO-Qm0OzE

Current Arsenal: DV8 Grudge, Pyramid Antidote, Radical Ridiculous Asym, Hammer Arson High Flare Solid, Brunswick Brute Strength

#191519 - 05/25/15 06:31 PM Re: Do you remember the 1979 bowling movie "Dreamer"? [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
Downloaded it while it's still there

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#191610 - 06/11/15 10:56 PM Re: Do you remember the 1979 bowling movie "Dreamer"? [Re: BIGHMW]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

Got it already on VHS from Magnetic Home Video/20th Century Fox.

www.BIGHMW.com

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.