BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 16 of 16 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191422 - 05/08/15 09:58 AM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
Good stuff Fin as always. Crux definitely working out for you.

Can't say my outing last night was quite that impressive but had 202+258+218=678 and accomplished one of the goals I had set out for myself this season: 30 clean. I did it earlier in my other league but it was just my teammate and I bowling against a vacant so this felt more legit.

Actually took me awhile to get going, crossed over on my first couple of shots and left a few buckets while trying to get aligned. Was able to rely on good spare shooting and one double and grind out that 202 in the first game. Second game had trouble in the first 4 frames but then found it and finished it off with an 8-bagger. 3rd game cooled off a bit. The last frame I threw a bad shot and the 6-8 was left up there, and I stood there in disbelief. Fortunately, a messenger came and knocked over the 8 pin right before the machine came down. Easily picked up the 6 pin and struck on the fill ball.

But that wasn't even close to the highlight of the night. Since this was the position round for the half (and my team won the first half), I stuck around to see who we would bowl next week. The first place team won 2 and lost 6 to the 2nd place team while the 3rd place team took all 8. There weren't any league by-laws for this but it was agreed that they would bowl on Wednesday and roll 3 games with the total pinfall for the 3 games winning the half.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#191424 - 05/08/15 11:02 AM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread [Re: wronghander]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 52/M/Brockton, MA
Originally Posted By: wronghander
But that wasn't even close to the highlight of the night. Since this was the position round for the half (and my team won the first half), I stuck around to see who we would bowl next week. The first place team won 2 and lost 6 to the 2nd place team while the 3rd place team took all 8. There weren't any league by-laws for this but it was agreed that they would bowl on Wednesday and roll 3 games with the total pinfall for the 3 games winning the half.

My league has a by-law that if teams are tied for first at the end of a half, it's a one-game roll-off (total pins, obviously).
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 168 HS: 615 HG: 255
Composite avg. (w/ Sun. night sub): 170

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#191432 - 05/08/15 10:45 PM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

Originally Posted By: Richie V.

My league has a by-law that if teams are tied for first at the end of a half, it's a one-game roll-off (total pins, obviously).

That seems to be the case with most leagues. This was decided by the secretary and the bowlers involved on the fly after league ended last night. What made it more complicated was that it's a 3-way tie and that one of the bowlers had to leave right after league ended so they had to schedule it for another night.

#191436 - 05/09/15 08:39 AM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread [Re: Richie V.]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
Our fall/winter season ended last night. Our team finished the year strong and ended up in 2nd place. First place was a lock for the last two weeks so we were just trying to make sure we kept our hold on 2nd.

I'm pretty pleased with my season and I would have to say that my decision to throw only urethane was a good decision. I finished the season averaging 219, one pin higher than last season when I only used reactive equipment. It was also my 4th best finishing average for a season. From March onwards, I finished really strong averaging 231 over the last 10 weeks. I'm sticking with this for the foreseeable future. I'm looking forward to my summer practice sessions.

Mark

#191438 - 05/09/15 11:56 PM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread [Re: wronghander]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: Richie V.

That seems to be the case with most leagues. This was decided by the secretary and the bowlers involved on the fly after league ended last night. What made it more complicated was that it's a 3-way tie and that one of the bowlers had to leave right after league ended so they had to schedule it for another night.

We had a similar issue happen the first half of the league. Three team tie for first place and since USBC rules state that a roll off must happen to break a tie for first place and the league had no other rule in place, one took place kind of. The league ended up voting that the first game scores of the following week would be used. Someone was trying to have it happen the same night, but some of the bowlers on the teams involved had already left. It was almost a 4 way tie but the team that was in fourth had tied one game that night splitting the 2 points for that game. Had they just won that game it would have been 4 teams involved. We voted out a league champion roll off between half winners because no one wanted to have to bowl the roll off anyways.

Tonight my league wrapped up and I threw my last shot for a while. As previously mentioned I'm going to step away from the game for a while. Considering slide leg, ball hand and back issues I am currently having, which aren't all bowling related but bowling doesn't help, especially with some bad mechanics, I'm not sure if I will do leagues again. This was how my last night went. We dropped all 7 points, only losing the first game by 11 pins, the second by 4 pins but the last game we got spanked pretty well. We ended up in 19th out of 40 teams thanks to a late half collapse of sorts. Even when we bowled good, the other teams bowled better, but there were plenty of times we bowled bad too.
HS:763

#191463 - 05/15/15 07:26 PM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

Good luck Cal. Understandable that you need to step away from bowling. Hope you can pursue some other type of recreational activity. Perhaps if you want to ease your way back into the game in the future you could give duckpins a try since you're in Maryland.

Finished off my two leagues this week and it's been a really good year for me and I hope I can keep it going. In my Tuesday league had 276+208+258=743 and finished with a 223 average. Finished my Thursday league last night with 199+236+225=660. Ate too much chicken parm at the banquet before and got off to a slow start in game 1. Still, was able to move my average up to 214 in that league. Finished both leagues with the high average and also won both leagues as a team.

While I'm happy with my improvement on the house shot my game still has a long way to go. Plan on using the summer to get better on sport shots. I decided that I'm not going to do a house shot league and focus only on the PBAX league this summer. The motivation behind bowling on house was to try and get the 300 ring but earned it last Saturday so now there's not much to bowl for there. Not a big money league and it's high lineage. I can still try to bowl as a sub (since subs don't pay) or go down there and practice for $2.50 per game. I definitely have goals when I come back to the house shot in the fall but for now I really need to work on improving on sport shots so I can start bowling in some of the scratch tournaments.

Page 16 of 16 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 07:42 AM
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.