BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190700 - 03/02/15 08:03 PM Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid [Re: champ]
iwanttoimprove Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 58/M/Illinois
Thanks a bunch! I'll surely check it out...

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#190703 - 03/02/15 08:43 PM Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid [Re: champ]
iwanttoimprove Offline
Junior Master

Thank you for your last couple of posts - some real interesting stuff. I may make it to the bowling alley (the bowling center that does a lot of business, and where I plan on bowling later this spring & summer). I'm going to check out the Cell when I get there, and I've noticed that sometimes they have some pretty good used balls sitting around where folks can use them, so might see what I can find there and how it reacts.

You know, after watching that video, I noticed that my ball really didn't look that bad. I was watching a video of one of my last games in the 2005 or 2006 seasons last night. It really wasn't one of my better efforts, except I did pick up a spare that I usually don't pick up. I remember I only bowled a 188 (which is great for my team, we were pretty bad. But, getting to be pretty average for me). But, my Cell was skidding and rolling and hooking pretty much like Chris said it should be. Amazing!

One thing I did notice from my video is that I didn't realize how weak my base or my foundation was. I was falling off balance on virtually every shot. And, after the health problems I've had the last 5+ years, my legs are even weaker now. That is why I said, I sure wish I could throw a 15 lb ball, but just think it is impossible now. And, if I can't throw a 14, then I might as well retire. Because 13 is just too weak. I found that out the hard way - by actually using a 13 for a season and not bowling any better than I did as a kid. In fact, it might have been worse.

I will talk to the pros in the Pro Shop at the new center I'll be going to this summer, and see what they think about the Hybrid, or what they think of some other balls that they like, and balls that I like. They're pretty friendly and I think will be very helpful.

They sell used balls too, which saves you about 50%. The problem is, they are all 15 and 16 lb. One pro told me when they get a 14 lb ball in, it goes pretty fast!. Think about it. Anytime someone buys the kind of high performance ball I'm interested in, it is probably going to be traded in by someone who throws 15 or 16 lbs.

I just think that my ball is going to hook sooner at a real wood bowling lane (that has been well taken care of) vs a wooden lane that has a plastic covering.

I'm also guessing that I might throw a polished ball faster than a sanded ball, would that be a correct assumption?

Anyway, thanks for all your help. I'll be asking about some other balls, before I decide whether to buy another one or not. I know that I'm not getting rid of my original Cell anytime soon.

I'm going to try over the next couple of weeks to pattern my style after Norm Duke, as I think that could be a very successful way of playing the lanes for me. Throwing from the right corner, over the first arrow, or at one of the boards between the first and 2nd arrows. I can envision the ball playing just like it does for Norm. with that 8 to 10 board move at the end and mixing the pins, or nailing the pocket.

Thanks again!

#190704 - 03/02/15 09:16 PM Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid [Re: iwanttoimprove]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
Yeah, I was thinking of your original post where you mentioned that you threw over the 2nd arrow from the gutter. Usually that would be indicative of a straight bowler angling the ball to the pocket. I stand 5 board and throw over the 2nd arrow to pick up the 7 pin.

With the stronger balls of today, you don't lose a lot of punch with the lower weight balls. Going with too heavy of a ball may make you a worse bowler. You need to go with what your body is comfortable with.

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs C300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs C300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Brunswick BTU Pearl
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#190725 - 03/03/15 09:07 PM Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid [Re: iwanttoimprove]
iwanttoimprove Offline
Junior Master

Yes, I'm going to stick with 14 lbs.

Now, if I go to practice on Saturday afternoons, or during a weekday, I don't necessarily use the 2 arrow to throw over, because the lanes are drier.

But, Nelson Burton said in an instructional video to start there, then adjust your feet on the approach and your target from there. If it is left, move left, I think he said 3 boards on the approach for every board you move on the lanes. I don't know, it has probably been 8 years since I watched it.

Because, you know what is funny about that? I was about 50 at the time, and I never knew you were supposed to move left if you missed left. I would always move left. No wonder I wasn't any good.

I'll have to find that video and watch it again.

You know, I like to bowl straight like that because it is simply easier to control (IMO). I just like an 8 to 12 inch move at the end.

That is Norm Duke's "A" game, and I figure, if it is good enough for him, it is good enough for me.

But, I learned enough from Norm and Nelson's instructional videos to know how to target better. I'm not above going over the 3rd or 4th arrow - or whichever one I need, and to move on the approach, if needed.

I tell you, I'm really close to getting that Eruption Pro Hybrid, but I'm looking at a few other balls too.

Truthfully, I need a thousand dollars or two to get all the balls I'd like to use, to be honest, ha! ha!

#190727 - 03/03/15 09:43 PM Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid [Re: goobee]
iwanttoimprove Offline
Junior Master

I forgot to mention, thanks for the tip on picking up the 10 pin. I hate that 10 pin, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one!
I usually lined it up, so that the middle arrow was directly between me and the 10 pin. I usually knew immediately if I got it or not. If I went over the middle arrow, I could turn my back and walk away, because I knew I had picked up the 10 pin. I could also turn my back and walk away, knowing I had missed it, if I didn't throw over that middle arrow, or darn close to it; because I had missed the 10 pin in that case.

I always felt I had too much of an angle, and had thought of doing like you said you picked it up. My next practice game, and next few 10 pins, I'll give your method a try.

Thanks so much!

#190773 - 03/06/15 09:23 AM Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid [Re: iwanttoimprove]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
Originally Posted By: iwanttoimprove
I forgot to mention, thanks for the tip on picking up the 10 pin. I hate that 10 pin, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one!
I usways felt I had too much of an angle, and had thought of doing like you said you picked it up. My next practice game, and next few 10 pins, I'll give your method a try.

Thanks so much!

looked but couldnt find the "method" you mention here. could you repeat it? always interested in different thing that work for others.

rr

sorry, loked for this post
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#191444 - 05/10/15 07:12 PM Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid [Re: iwanttoimprove]
iwanttoimprove Offline
Junior Master

Well, an Eruption Pro Hybrid literally fell into my hands this past week. They had one on eBay that was a "misdrilled" ball. It also was supposed to have never been used. The seller was taking offers, so I thought, I'll offer $20 less than he's asking, and see if he'll take it. He did! And, on Wednesday of this past week, I received My Pro HYBRID. This ball was like new, and had the most beautiful plugging job done on it, that I'd ever seen!

I don't know, now that I've seen the hybrid up close, and personal, Barnes may have been using its predecessor, the Eruption Pro. I need to look at that video again. I base that revised opinion on the release date of the ball, which in this case was October 14 for the Hybrid, and one year earlier for the Eruption Pro (non-hybrid). Though I think that pros many times have access to the new bowling balls before we do.

So, I got it drilled prior to my Senior color pin session, and I promptly had my best session, since I started bowling with the seniors, off and on, for the past couple of months.

Now, I hope I'm not jumping to conclusions about this ball, as I've only used it for 3 games, plus the practice for those 3 games. But, the first time I threw it, In practice, I couldn't believe the left hand turn this ball made once it got to what I guess is "the spot". It actually ended up going high, leaving a 3-6 I think. So, went over to the other lane, made a slightly educated guess at where I should stand and where I should target this new ball. I ended up standing a little bit left of where I'd been playing with other balls, like Pyramids Origin Pearl ball, and boom, a strike. I don't remember what the rest of my practice session was like, as I've not been feeling well, and I didn't want to overdo it.

For the 3 game session, I had about 15 strikes. I know, in the second game, I had 8 strikes, including a 5 bagger. My spare shooting has been horrendous, since I started bowling again, and I think I've got part of it figured out. I need a new thumb slug put in my spare ball, because, due to medical problems, I've lost 30 to 40 lbs off of an 155 to 160 frame. That's a big loss, off of a guy who is that small to begin with.

The best I ever did with the Cell, 5 years ago, during league, was 22 strikes in a 3 game set. The lanes had some sort of plastic or Teflon coating back then, and you had to have a heavy oil ball, if you are a stroker like I am. Since they've removed the plastic (or whatever it was), a stroker needs a medium oil ball.

And, I think the lanes were a little dryer than usual, based on ball reaction. I also came to that conclusion because I got there early, to get my ball drilled. Any other time, when I've gotten there early, I've seen them oil our lanes. I didn't see them oil our lanes, even though I got there early for this session. Now, maybe they oiled them prior to our session. But, I can't help but wonder if they didn't oil our lanes on this particular day.

Back to the Hybrid, it just hits the pins like a Mac truck. I only use a 14 lb ball, and it still gave me strikes on light hits, and when I went through the nose. And, the first two games, before I got tired out on the third game, it was kicking out the 10 pin on a regular basis. The third game, I was tired, and many times I didn't release the ball well, or threw it slower than I had been, so I left a couple of 10s. But, that was more my fault, than the ball's fault.

The other thing that it did, that my Cell does well, was to pick up the 7 pin, or the 4-7 combination. With my Cell, I liked to stand on the right side of the lane and aim towards the 2nd arrow, with a relaxed ball speed, and watch it cross the entire lane, before picking up the spare. The same goes for the 4 or 4-7, with a little more speed. Some will think, why doesn't he use his spare ball and go straight. But, I just got into the habit of picking these spares up this way, and probably have a 95% success rate, so I'm going to keep on doing it this way. The Pyramid Origins Pearl couldn't do it.

To sum it all up, I like the way the ball hits on the back-end, I like the way it feels in my hand, when I'm on the approach, it just gives me the confidence that I'm going to strike every time I walk onto the approach. I like the way it kicks out the 10 pin, or at times gives you strikes when you go through the nose. I also like that I can basically use my "strike" ball to pick up spares on at least half the rack. And, it's a great looking ball, going down the alley.

So, we'll see how it does next week, and I'll add comments after that.

#191449 - 05/11/15 05:14 PM Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid [Re: iwanttoimprove]
iwanttoimprove Offline
Junior Master

I watched some of Chris Barnes' 300 game in Poland in 2014, and I am now about 99% sure he was using the Hybrid. In fact, he had a couple of them sitting there. He must have had one drilled to go straighter, as he was shooting his spares (which were all 1 pin spares while I watched yesterday) with a Hybrid also.

I've just never been so impressed with a ball, after being impressed when I saw it used, and then really being impressed when I got to use it myself.

I'm scheduled to bowl again tomorrow, but I've felt queasy since Friday. So, if I get to bowl, I'll update my impressions on the Hybrid, after that session.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.