BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191416 - 05/07/15 05:21 PM Re: Live from El Paso [Re: champ]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 31/M/AZ
After reflecting on my performance at Nationals, I think its clear I just wasn't far enough outside. There was a line to the pocket around 9 at the arrows that gave me a little swing area, and I camped out there. The problem was I had bad over/under. I assumed that was the nature of the pattern and to some extent it is. Get it wide and it won't come back. Tug it left its going Brooklyn. But from watching some archived footage I see bowlers on the line struggling with the same issues I had, while bowlers piping the 4-5 area have at least a more consistent reaction.

This tournament is by far my favorite thing I've found in bowling, and I want to achieve success there. Its clear a lot of work is in order. I was pleased with my performance last year, and bitterly disappointed with this year. I'm back two days, and I've got a lesson with a Silver Coach booked, and I plan to meet with him several times over the next year.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#191417 - 05/07/15 09:53 PM Re: Live from El Paso [Re: champ]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
Trouble is, you may see those conditions, never again.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Roto Grip All Out Show Off
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#191526 - 05/27/15 04:48 PM Re: Live from El Paso [Re: champ]
dalion Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 46/M/VA
I was somewhat disappointed in my bowling at this yrs event also. Mainly in doubles. I was 'ok' in the team event, I think I shot a 540? I have an "a" game and "b" game, the only difference is in my "a" game, I take my thumb out of the ball. I generally stick w/ my conventional "b" game at nationals, so I started out playing between 2nd an 3rd arrows, after moving to the 3rd arrow, oil started carrying down, and had to move back right again. I noticed Brian Himmler an Mike Devaney playing deep inside so I actualy started my 3rd game w/ my thumb out playing deep inside, between 3rd an 4th an I got 3 strikes an 2 splits, so I gave up. To me it looked like sometimes the ball would just hang too long at the break point an leave you with a split. I could not avoid the splits.

I heard them say that they made the shot tough this year because of all the high scores bowled last year. For doubles, I think, like you, perhaps lack of sleep? I dunno, I felt like I just wasn't ready to bowl, plus it was 9am. My throws were all over the place. I tried to play that deep inside line but after a few throws, it seemed the oil wasn't holding up. I couldn't project the ball right, it kept hooking early, so I went back to bowling conventional between 2nd a 3rd arrows. I also missed some easy spares and 'splitsville' continued as well. Eventually, the oil moved down the lane and the balls just stopped hooking. I had to take all finger action out of my throw an just stroke the ball up the 12 board. I was able to at least hit the pocket consistently that way, but left several 10 pins. My spare game had improved though an I was able to pick up most of my spares by the end of doubles. Also it seemed, light hits carried well. I started off singles w/ this approach also an managed a 190. 2nd gm had only 2 opens (splits) but could only muster a 172 (just couldn't put strikes together). For the last gm of singles, I switched back to my "a" game, standing next to the ball return an throwing between 3rd an 4th an got a nice reaction. It seemed the oil had settled down by then. had my only clean game of the tourney rolling a 207. I had just under 1600 total, mainly due to my 470 doubles set. So based on low to cash #'s, I should cash in singles, and I believe our team was in 45th? place (Classified). So I'll get a check but clearly it won't cover my expenses.

With the exception of doubles, I was ok w/ my performance given the tough conditions. Was also witness to Craig Ndiffer's 753 performance just a few lanes down from me. Amazing. I think I need to get my body in better shape. Something to work on throughout this year. Next tournament up: Dutchman.
USBC Open: 16 consecutive years
Open Avg: 184
Open Avg last 3 years: 181
The new 2018 avg adjustment: 210
2002 Hoinke Tournament All events Champion

#191544 - 06/01/15 11:23 AM Re: Live from El Paso [Re: champ]
vdubtx Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 44/M/TX
Back from my trip to El Paso. Had 1 practice session prior to heading to Nationals at the ITRC in Arlington so had some sense of what the pattern was going to do.

Arrived Tuesday evening, went to check out the venue. Was laid out rather nice.

Shot Bowler's Journal on Wednesday afternoon, only shot 544. Got too fast a few times. Shot 40 frame game that evening, always have fun at that event.

Thursday was Team Event.
Shot 235-234-191 = 662 Extremely happy with that.

Friday evening was Double/singles:
Doubles 189-196-186 = 571

Singles 179-213-191 = 583

All events - 662-571-583 = 1816

My highest score to date of my 3 trips to Nationals. Needless to say, I am very happy with that. Should cash in all but Team as most had a very tough time with the pattern.

Really have to control speed and make sure you don't get out side of 8-9 board too soon. I played rather straight piping up 10-12 at arrows with very slight swing. If I had caught transition early enough at end of Doubles/beginning of singles I could have put up more.

Spare shooting was definitely at a premium. Missed 2 single pins, a 2 and a 10. But multi pin spares were tough. Missed a few 3-6-10's, picking out 2 of the pins each time. Took out the 8 of a 2-8 once.

All in all a good trip. El Paso was great, nice town with nice people. We shot next to some locals in each event and got the low down on some places to eat at.

On Doubles and singles, the pair next to us was Earon Vollmar, he shot the last 900 series back in January. He struggled a bit on the patterns. Think I saw his All Events score was in the 1700's. He throws a nice ball, but is very animated when things don't go his way. Arms were thrown up many times.

Edited by vdubtx (06/01/15 11:24 AM)

Equipment:
Roto Grip -
Haywire
Hyper Cell
Disturbed
Uproar
Roto Red Spare

Hammer -
First Blood

Storm -
Ride

Brunswick -
Nirvana

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by Mkirchie - Today at 06:55 AM
2019 Summer Leagues
by wronghander - 07/15/19 11:07 PM
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - 07/15/19 12:48 AM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:08 AM
Bowling Ball Hall of Fame
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:03 AM
2019 USBC Open Championship's Las Vegas
by champ - 07/09/19 12:12 AM
So the 3-unit oil rule is dead.
by wronghander - 06/24/19 11:47 PM
tennis elbow
by TheDemolitionMan - 06/24/19 10:34 AM
Creative Bowling Solutions Power Finger Grips
by MNsportsfan - 06/24/19 09:20 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.